GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Kappa
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,215
2 members and 2,213 guests
John

Old 05-21-2005, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

We are presenting at UT-Tyler this wednesday. I wanted to go and help out but am flying to St. Louis that day!
Old 05-21-2005, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

That's great news! YAY!
Old 05-27-2005, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kelyel
In this past year we presented at DUKE Univ. (Yes, the Duke of College Basketball fame.) SK was, as far as I know now, not the sorority chosen. I cannot remember WHO they picked.

I do know that a re-colony at DUKE could thin out the Alumane that assist with two nearby chapters - ELON & NC STATE. Duke / Durham, NC are in between Raleigh & Elon College (Burlington), NC. Gamma Phi has a strong base of advisors both on AB & HCB but no extras to spare. I imagine ELON is about the same.

It is very true that all Chapters and much more for NEW young ones NEED major Alum support. Not just at Recruitment. -ALL YEAR-.

-~ Kelly

PS: Anyone going to COTS! I cannot wait to see NHQ and everyone!
Old 05-28-2005, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CelticGal
I'd love to see Tau (Indiana), my chapter, recolonized. It's been closed for over ten years now.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw some talk about why there aren't any "eta" chapters. Well if you say eta out loud it sounds like "ate a" as in "ate a kappa" "ate a lambda." It just sreams for terrible nicknames. I am not sure if that is the reason that they skipped the etas, but a chapter at my school chapter name was "eta sigma" and we always got a kick out of it.

"You used Ghostbusters for evil!" - Liz Lemon
Old 06-19-2005, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

IF you are an alum in specific areas you will have recieved 2 intent letters. Sigma kappa is sending some letters to NPC of 2 different universities to indicate our interest in recolonizing our chapters so we could potentially have 2 chapters return.

I know on the website and here some complain about us not recolonizing our chapters. Honestly we have no control. Each Panhellenic MUST open for colonization on their campus BEFORE an NPC group can colonize. We can send letters of intent but the University must first open for interest, there is nothing really SK can do. SO it may appear we are not active but really we are at the mercy of our universities with no or dormant SK chapters to have a strong greek system where all chapters are at or above quota or near where they want another NPC group. When they indicate that then we can jump at the chance. So be patient and we will continue to grow!!
Old 06-20-2005, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know if UT-Tyler has reached a decision on which two sororities they picked to colonize? I looked on their website and all of the presentations are done, so I was just wondering. Lets keep our fingers crossed!

Old 06-20-2005, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelyel
In this past year we presented at DUKE Univ. (Yes, the Duke of College Basketball fame.) SK was, as far as I know now, not the sorority chosen. I cannot remember WHO they picked.
I am pretty sure I read somewhere that they chose ZTA, but there has been some controversy about a new chapter coming on campus. Correct me if I am wrong!

Old 06-20-2005, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

One more thing, I just added up all of the chapters that have closed recently (since 1990), there are 30!!! I can't believe that!!

Old 06-20-2005, 10:22 PM

Re: All the Sigma Kappa Chapters Ever

Quote:
Originally posted by seraphimsprite
And I realize this is REALLY anal of me, but can I just say it annoys me to no end that we seemed to have skipped random chapter designations? I don't mind skipping whole letters, but there seems to be no Beta Omicron, Zeta Gamma, Kappa Delta or Kappa Kappa. Weird.
Pardon my crashage, but I know that something that happened in my sorority (ASA) is that we used to name the colonies with chapter names before they actually chartered. For example, we started a colony at U of Virginia which was the Epsilon Sigma colony. By the time the decision was made to discontinue the colonization, we had already started Epsilon Tau, Epsilon Upsilon etc etc...so we couldn't go back and re-use Epsilon Sigma or it would have screwed things up more. So maybe this is why there are just random chapter names missing. Incidentally, we now use "School Name Colony" and they don't get a chapter designation till they officially charter.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

look deeper

I have been reading this thread and what i would challenge you all to do is look a little deeper at what rapid expansion does...take a look at the Theta ___ chapters...at that time, NHQ was in a time of REALLY rapid expansion and many of those chapters are our most challenged chapters currently. Don't look simply at chapters closing...that happens with any group...look at the fact that rapid expansion leads to weak and unsupported new chapters. NHQ is expanding slower (and even I admit it's a little too slow) but the amount of support they are giving to their new chapters is awesome. They are putting consultants there for up to 2 years just to help them get off their feet...that never was done in the past. So needless to say, the organization is building chapters slower but they are building stronger chapters...

Just my two cents worth.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Has anyone heard anything recently about there being a possible recolonization of the Theta Kappa chapter at USC (University of Southern California)?
I recently received an e-mail asking for possible interest in helping if they decide to go for it.
Has anyone else heard about this or know anything about it?

Also, in response to the post from the previous poster, I agree that I would rather see fewer chapters if they are strong ones rather than a bunch of new ones that fold after a few years.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: hot, humid houston . . .how's that for alliteration?
I got an email though cybersigma about it. the woman who sent it also mentioned a possible recolonization at pepperdine.

One Heart One Way. . .
Old 11-06-2006, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Bump, because I want to know if there are any new recolonizations in the works!
Old 11-06-2006, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

hmm this isn't a recolonization, but a new chapter.
Kappa Xi at University of Nevada Reno. My friend is a Theta there and said that their new colony is amazing and that they have a lot of girls- 79!