GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,543
0 members and 2,543 guests
No Members online

Old 11-11-2009, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
Well you could just give them to Lambda Tau as honor badges one day Here are two pictures of their two honor badges. One badge is from Kappa chapter and I can't remember where the other one is from.

From Kappa chapter.

The first one is beautiful! The second is the one I gave them!!

We had two honor badges when I was a collegiate....I wonder if they lost them, because neither of them were those!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-11-2009, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Honor Badge?
Old 11-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
I will say again that I half envy those of you who have sooo many badge options. On the one hand, it's nice that all AEPhis have the same exact badge; on the other hand, I'd probably wear my badge more often if I'd had the option of white gold instead of yellow.
I understand - it's just a matter of how you were taught as a new member, I guess.

Quote:
There's one item in the catalog that caused me to raise an eyebrow. "The Alpha Delta Pi badge is never worn with formal attire, except at an exclusive sorority event such as Grand Convention or an Installation Banquet." Just wondering why it's forbidden. I've worn my badge at formal events, including those not directly related to my sorority - hey, you're dressed up, why not wear your badge? So... why the prohibition?
I'll never tell!
Old 11-11-2009, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
The first one is beautiful! The second is the one I gave them!!

We had two honor badges when I was a collegiate....I wonder if they lost them, because neither of them were those!
I think there might be another one that the President wears. Those two are given as academic awards from the Monroe Alumnae Chapter at Founders' Day every year.

An honor badge (for those of you who are wondering) is just a badge that is given to a chapter to award members either each semester or every year. I know at Lambda Tau (ULM AOII) they are awarded each January during their Founders' Day Luncheon. I just gave one (that I won off of Ebay) to my own chapter (Nu Beta Ole Miss) to be awarded each semester to the member with the highest GPA. It was such a steal on Ebay (make best offer) that I had to get it for them! It is from the late 1920s!
Old 11-11-2009, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

There are some pretty badges featured on the Alpha Phi Website. Click on the tour of their executive offices link and you can see some pretty Alpha Phi Badges.
http://alphaphi.org/about_us/index.html
Old 11-11-2009, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
An honor badge (for those of you who are wondering) is just a badge that is given to a chapter to award members either each semester or every year. I know at Lambda Tau (ULM AOII) they are awarded each January during their Founders' Day Luncheon. I just gave one (that I won off of Ebay) to my own chapter (Nu Beta Ole Miss) to be awarded each semester to the member with the highest GPA. It was such a steal on Ebay (make best offer) that I had to get it for them! It is from the late 1920s!
We had two honor badges in my chapter. One was a plain gold key known as the Standards Key. It was passed on to a different sister during each chapter meeting by the Standards Committee, based on anything exemplary: primarily sisterhood-related but could be academic as well. I can't find a picture of it but I remember it had the name Florence etched on the back, I want to say the date was 1942. Not sure how we got it, but it was great.

The other was the President's Key, which is an award style key. Award keys for Kappa are a little larger and have a flatter surface. This one in particular has enamel letters and opals, and is worn by the chapter President during her term. The opals must be okay since it's passed down each year

Old 11-11-2009, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

The horizontal-type pins like Kappa's and Alpha Xi's always seem just huge to me because I've only ever seen photos of them, never in person. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a lot of NPC pins personally, because we had a very small Panhellenic system on my campus when I was in school.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter has a badge that is passed to the Philanthropy Chair each year (as well as the president's badge). I believe the philanthropy badge looks pretty normal, and it was given to us by an alumna who was passionate about that office/field. I should ask...
Old 11-11-2009, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter only has one honor badge- the chapter president's badge. I got a chance to look at it in detail a few weeks ago- it's larger than any other badge I've personally seen, and it has rubies or garnets (couldn't tell which) instead of pearls along the edge. It's a very old-styled badge- like this one:

Just imagine that with red stones and it's pretty close. I do know that my chapter has had that badge since we were first chartered- quite a feat, since we did dissolve at one point before we re-chartered. I wish I knew how old it was...

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 11-11-2009, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile_Awhile View Post
My chapter only has one honor badge- the chapter president's badge. I got a chance to look at it in detail a few weeks ago- it's larger than any other badge I've personally seen, and it has rubies or garnets (couldn't tell which) instead of pearls along the edge. It's a very old-styled badge- like this one:

Just imagine that with red stones and it's pretty close. I do know that my chapter has had that badge since we were first chartered- quite a feat, since we did dissolve at one point before we re-chartered. I wish I knew how old it was...
Wow, that's a totally different look! Same basic design but still so different. That would be really cool in red- I'm guessing you don't have a picture of that one?
Old 11-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I actually gasped when I saw that - it's absolutely beyond gorgeous!

My chapter has a President's pin, which I've never seen because the Founder who donated it gave the pin to the chapter after I graduated. She was something like 102 when she died. I think it has the pearls.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
M

Ooh....so elegant!

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 11-13-2009, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't find a picture of my chapters president's badge- sorry guys! I'm pretty sure the badge varies from chapter to chapter.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 11-13-2009, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
In my chapter we all just got the plain gold badge. We weren't really told we could upgrade! My big sister eventually got the one with the single raised pearl as a Christmas gift. She was also the first one to get a chapter guard... I eventually did as well, but they weren't that popular. My second little sister ended up losing my badge. My new badge is still plain, but 10k gold. I don't know why, but I prefer the plain badges to the pearl ones.

Personally, I want a white gold badge with diamonds along the A. Would look great with a black dress! Maybe a little heavy on the bling, but it would be for special occasions.

I always liked our chapter president badge. It had turquoise stones, which I always thought was so unique. It was also the "lazy phi" design, with the phi turned on its side. Very pretty.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 11-13-2009, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Phi 1982-1986 most of my sisters had jeweled pins - either diamonds or pearls.
We all had chapter guards.
No one had white gold, so I'm guessing it wasn't an option yet.
Since it was the 80s and my campus was very preppy (wool or linen pants/skirts/walking shorts) we were appropriately dressed to wear our pins on a daily basis.