GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,141
3 members and 2,138 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevinpiphi View Post
They wouldn't know, per se...we don't ask for birth certificates, so it's all down to disclosure...and I feel like that gets sticky. The qualification for memberships in many organizations is, "are you a woman?" and since trans women are women...
Loop back to the situation when a specific religion was a membership requirement? You can't ask in rush (or might get a lie during rush), but you can throw them out if it comes out in pledging/as a sister??
Old 11-01-2022, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

A private group can throw out anybody they want. They may not give the real reason why but I doubt that they would have to.
Old 11-01-2022, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Loop back to the situation when a specific religion was a membership requirement? You can't ask in rush (or might get a lie during rush), but you can throw them out if it comes out in pledging/as a sister??
If their rules prevent a PNm from being a member whatever it is the PNM may be/have done/have said, then of course they can deny the person membership.
Old 11-01-2022, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
Dumb question - how would they know? They'd have to either ask or surmise. Surmising could lead to all kinds of stereotypical reactions.

I ask this because I have an acquaintance with whom I've had several long discussions. To look at her, one would immediately think trans woman, but she has mentioned to me more than once hormonal issues she's had throughout her life. I certainly would not dream of asking.
Quote:
They wouldn't know, per se...we don't ask for birth certificates, so it's all down to disclosure...and I feel like that gets sticky. The qualification for memberships in many organizations is, "are you a woman?" and since trans women are women...
Speaking for Alpha Sigma Tau, our membership eligibility requirements currently read: "Membership in Alpha Sigma Tau is open to women and transgender persons who identify as women."

There are so many variations across organizations that there's really no way to say that a PNM would benefit from disclosing more information or disclosing less. Regardless, some chapter members are going to make their own assumptions and conclusions and base membership decisions based on those assumptions. That's just how it is sometimes.

To answer naraht's question, it really would come down to a question of what each national organization - and each chapter - is willing to accept. Membership selection is private, so we never really know why a PNM is selected or not.

Based on how you asked the question, I admittedly only thought about this in the sense of gender and religion (historically). But GPA is certainly a very good example of a similar situation where one org will bring a PNM through to the next round, and another won't.

All this being said, I would bet good money that all of our orgs currently have at least one transgender and one non-binary member, regardless of national policy.

@~/~~~~
Old 11-02-2022, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Speaking for Alpha Sigma Tau, our membership eligibility requirements currently read: "Membership in Alpha Sigma Tau is open to women and transgender persons who identify as women."

There are so many variations across organizations that there's really no way to say that a PNM would benefit from disclosing more information or disclosing less. Regardless, some chapter members are going to make their own assumptions and conclusions and base membership decisions based on those assumptions. That's just how it is sometimes.

To answer naraht's question, it really would come down to a question of what each national organization - and each chapter - is willing to accept. Membership selection is private, so we never really know why a PNM is selected or not.

Based on how you asked the question, I admittedly only thought about this in the sense of gender and religion (historically). But GPA is certainly a very good example of a similar situation where one org will bring a PNM through to the next round, and another won't.

All this being said, I would bet good money that all of our orgs currently have at least one transgender and one non-binary member, regardless of national policy.
Thank you very much for your response. Oddly while I expect that while each NPC sorority has at least one transgender and one non-binary, I would *not* expect the same of the NIC. (At least one of the newer members of the NPC is sufficiently religious that I think it more likely that they don't)
Old 11-02-2022, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thank you very much for your response. Oddly while I expect that while each NPC sorority has at least one transgender and one non-binary, I would *not* expect the same of the NIC. (At least one of the newer members of the NPC is sufficiently religious that I think it more likely that they don't)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...and_sororities

"Delta Tau Delta, Tau Kappa Epsilon, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, Phi Mu Delta, Pi Lambda Phi, and Delta Chi are explicitly inclusive of gay and transgender men".
Old 11-03-2022, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...and_sororities

"Delta Tau Delta, Tau Kappa Epsilon, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, Phi Mu Delta, Pi Lambda Phi, and Delta Chi are explicitly inclusive of gay and transgender men".
I know there are a number (perhaps even a majority) of NIC fraternities that would welcome them. However unlike the 1980s/1990s/200Xs where I believe that all members of the NIC would admit all men, I don't believe that that is true today.
Old 03-30-2023, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
But are they? Not everyone agrees.

Some members of the KKG chapter at University of Wyoming are suing their national president and organization for "betray[ing] the central purpose and mission of Kappa Kappa Gamma by conflating the experience of being a woman with the experience of men engaging in behavior generally associated with women." according to Fox News:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/lawsui...cbo=v2-gXlIl0H

Who else was wondering when this was going to happen?

Last edited by jbakajp; 03-30-2023 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2023, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbakajp View Post

Some members of the KKG chapter at University of Wyoming are suing their national president and organization for "betray[ing] the central purpose and mission of Kappa Kappa Gamma by conflating the experience of being a woman with the experience of men engaging in behavior generally associated with women." according to Fox News:

I came across this story this morning. Seems like there are more details here: https://cowboystatedaily.com/2023/03...gender-member/

@~/~~~~
Old 03-31-2023, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbakajp View Post

Quote:
I came across this story this morning. Seems like there are more details here: https://cowboystatedaily.com/2023/03...gender-member/
Thank goodness a few persons have been paying close attention to their situation, and have the wherewithal to take steps to improve their best interests and satisfy their outcome.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 03-31-2023, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
After reading the article with the Kappa lawsuit, I'd say an erection is definitely a sign that this person should not have been pledged in the first place. Add the 1.9 GPA, and I'm vey surprised that he even got a bid!
Old 03-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
After reading the article with the Kappa lawsuit, I'd say an erection is definitely a sign that this person should not have been pledged in the first place. Add the 1.9 GPA, and I'm vey surprised that he even got a bid!
This whole thing is so gross.
Old 03-31-2023, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
One of the stories (perhaps more; I didn't read more) strongly indicated pressure from a national and/or alumnae group. Sadly, many of our collegians don't know how to say "no" to that kind of pressure, even if it's a person they wouldn't otherwise choose to pledge.

Without knowing other groups' policies, I do know Delta Gamma reserves new member selection for collegians. It's an honor and a privilege reserved for them, but in my (very limited) experience, it's not often stressed.
Old 03-31-2023, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
How does Kappa, or how do the offended Kappa women, prevent Artemis from writing articles/books about his experience and/or give interviews regarding same?

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 03-31-2023, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
the newest members of NPC have been in since the 1950s.
Closed Thread