GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,333
Threads: 115,508
Welcome to our newest member, Jordandrose
» Online Users: 800
2 members and 798 guests
Jordandrose, SZISienna0
Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Guess what, most of this post makes a lot of sense and I appreciate the posting. I'd like to respond to a couple of things....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
This whole problem has been blown so out of proportation via the media and will never die down! Absolutely. There is no point in continuing to say the same things over and over.
We as outsiders will never know the true reason other than what has been posted. Again, absolutely true. While I understand why the media liked the story and I understand why other organizations would be interested in talking about the matter, everyone assumes they know the full truth. Even WE do not know the full truth at this time. Facts and possible facts are coming out daily and it would be nice if we as Delta Zetas could digest what is happening without everyone else - ok, not EVERYone else, but some people - being self-righteous and condemning us all as a group. We're busy trying to defend our organization and even our own personal values at some times when we should be busy seeking out the truth, supporting our sisters and making decisions regarding the situation. It's like a family dispute that the entire neighborhood gets to watch and weigh in on and think they know the facts.

I am sure the Membders of DZ are aghast at this as we all are.

Whether DZ HQ handled this properly seems to be evident from all of the posts.

I love how someone on anther post called them a Teacher GLO and almost second class at small schools only. I haven't read this and I'm certainly glad I haven't. A second class sorority at small schools only? Are you kidding me? I don't want to know who said this, but he/she/they need to do their research before saying something so ridiculous and disrespectful.

If anyone would like to check their web site, they were Founded in 1902 at Miami Un. of Ohio and have many Major Colleges.

Every Chapter may have problems and may not be handled in the best way, once the Media gets ahold of it, well then everyone will jump on them. Oh, just like on GC! Yes. I would be willing to bet money on the fact that this or something very similar has happened with AT LEAST one chapter in every single sorority that exists. I would imagine this probably a lot more than anyone would care to admit. THAT DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT. If anything good can come out of this situation, I hope ALL organizations will take a step back and think about how they treat their sisters and their potential new members. Let's all reflect on our own sororities and what we have an influence on and make positive changes. I'm willing to guarantee that every organization is going to have issues somewhere. The media just didn't get tipped off.

If they screwed up, then their Sorority will pay for it along with all of us.
If it can be determined that someone within our organization is responsible for this fiasco and that there is truth to the bias situation, then I do believe that it will be handled in a manner that is responsible and just. I have yet to find a sister who supports the actions that have been in the media. If anyone thinks that all DZs are just sitting around and not asking questions, then they are sorely mistaken. The truth will eventually be found and I trust that accountability will be taken. The women of Delta Zeta are not going to sit back and allow this image to become who we are and how we will be perceived in the future. Yes, sororities in general will take a hit for this because it perpetuates the myth that Greek life is all about stereotypes. It's too bad we don't have more Panhellenic spirit around here.

I keep telling myself that I'm going to quit reading this thread because rarely do I see anything of true worth posted. I really need to stick with it this time because it just angers me to read the stuff some of you say and I'm not sure there is any good reason that I need to know the negative opinions of others about things they do not know the full facts about. It's full of accusations, rumors and support for the avoidance of Delta Zeta at all costs. It's like pouring salt on an open wound. It would be great if everyone could just leave it to our sorority to work through and figure out, but I know that will never happen. For those of you who have been supportive and have been open to hearing different perspectives, I appreciate you and I'm sure my other sisters who have read this thread appreciate you, too. It's nice to know that there are some people who can be objective and try to support others in a Panhellenic way.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-19-2007, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZHBrown View Post
It's full of accusations, rumors and support for the avoidance of Delta Zeta at all costs.
Admitedly, I only occasionally glance at this thread. That said, I've not noticed any widespread support for the avoidance of Delta Zeta at all costs. Though many individuals seem to be condemning the actions of DZ HQ (including some DZ sisters themselves), most seem to be sympathetic to DZ undergraduate chapters and alumnae across the country.

Of course, I can understand why as a DZ you might notice one or two comments and take them to heart, even though it doesn't appear (from my perspective anyhow) that the majority of posters feel that way.

As far as rumors go - I don't think it will ever be possible for any of us to truly know what happened. My hope is that all NPC groups evaluate their own policies in light of the situation, that Delta Zeta is able to determine (internally and privately) what went wrong and hopefully prevent a similar situation from happening to them in the future, and that the media moves on to the next scandal du jour...the negative publicity affects us all. (Of course, I'm not blaming Delta Zeta for that...this could have potentially happened to any of our organizations.)
Old 03-19-2007, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=dzdelta2007;1415389]I was never asked this and I have never talked to Cindy Menges, as she alledged on the infamous CNN interview.

If we (alumnae leaders) were given false information, then I am the first to apologize. It has becomed very difficult to know what is true and what isn't when it is all spoken with such conviction. As I believe I've said before, I WANT to know the facts and it's hard for most of us to really get them. I hope that at some point in the future (I know it's too fresh right now), the members of Delta can see the position that Delta Zetas around the country have been in. We aren't there and we get information from so many different sources that we get to a point where we have no idea what to believe anymore. Once we think we "know" what happened and feel confident with those "facts", something else is said that causes us to take pause and question what we "knew".

Nationals is letting us, it's not like they can ban anything NON NPC related. Plus since we are 'alumnae,' we aren't actives. I believe that in our constitution we have a provision that we cant be an active in 2 sororities, but will be a case by case if there is an Alumna or deactivated person that wants to join. even though we are 'valued alumnae' to Nationals, they shouldn't be looking for any donations from most of us anytime soon, or ever. Sending us a request for donation in Late November is just in bad taste.
I was just curious. Obviously it's a unique situation and not one I've come across before and wondered if there were any conflicts of interest with that. It sounds like there isn't, so that's great. I agree 100% that it was poor taste to send out the donation letters. I partially understand that the Foundation just automatically sends out their letters to anyone that has been indicated as an alumna, but I wish special provisions would have been made in this situation. There clearly wasn't forethought on that action and I do hope that someone "in charge" regrets that lack of forethought.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

This thread has not been locked yet?

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 03-19-2007, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Can someone please explain to me why the university, and not the CPH, would be making the decision on what group could come back to campus in two years?
Old 03-20-2007, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Can someone please explain to me why the university, and not the CPH, would be making the decision on what group could come back to campus in two years?
The university wouldn't guarantee them the slot saying that they'd have to go through the process like everyone else. So while I suppose some universities may have provisions for chapters recolonizing without actually being considered "off campus" just "inactive" DePauw does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZHBrown
It's full of accusations, rumors and support for the avoidance of Delta Zeta at all costs.
The only mention of avoidance has been comments regarding the choice made by another campus not to bring DZ on. You cannot blame a campus for being wary after such media coverage and that's basically what the campus and people here said.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
The only mention of avoidance has been comments regarding the choice made by another campus not to bring DZ on. You cannot blame a campus for being wary after such media coverage and that's basically what the campus and people here said.
I wouldn't be surprised if universities with less than enthusiastic administrations would be wary of bringing anyone on, not even just DZ, after such media coverage.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagamzetagam View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if universities with less than enthusiastic administrations would be wary of bringing anyone on, not even just DZ, after such media coverage.
I think it might hold off on greek life for those schools that are smaller or just don't have a national greek life yet, but I really don't think schools with an established greek prescence would be wary of bringing new groups on should the campus need them.

I would guess (and this is just a guess as I have no real statistics or info in front of me) most schools are the 2nd case. There are those that we hear about that are smaller schools that "won't allow" GLOs but I would think those are few & far between. Just a guess though
Old 03-20-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
This thread has not been locked yet?
T, your signature rocks my socks.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

It's the University's perogative as to who gets to be on their campus and they have something called the expansion policy. Basically a GLO can ask to come on campus, but if there are multiple ones, then one has to be chosen, By 2009, there could have been other GLOs wanting to come back on campus and if they are looking to recolonize, as depauw has had something like 4 sororities leave campus over the years then DZ would have had to compete with a GLO that had been gone for 10 years, hence the nonguarantee. Also understand that over 70% of the campus is Greek and Depauw needs to be able to keep control of the Greek system.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
If that is really the case, then where was the support from the other NPC groups? Couldn't DZ have asked the other orgs to hold a spot for them, or not to compete with them in two years when they tried to return?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If that is really the case, then where was the support from the other NPC groups? Couldn't DZ have asked the other orgs to hold a spot for them, or not to compete with them in two years when they tried to return?
If it's the university's policy, would the college panhellenic have anything to do with that?

In a way promising to "hold a spot" is like promising a pnm a bid on pref night. If they have this policy in place and in two years there is more than 1 group wanting to come back (assuming panhellenic/university wanted to open the campus up for extension), then DZ should have a fair shake at it like everyone else if there are other dormant groups wanting to come back.

or maybe i just don't understand this policy the school had.

If ABC and XYZ both closed some time ago, why should they give up a chance to recolonize just because DZ has their centenial to celebrate? I think they should have a fair chance at coming back since NPC tries to use the "level playing field" in other areas of the organization.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

To DZDelta 2007

To those whom my life may touch in slight measure, May I give graciously of what is mine...

Thank you, little sister. We've been waiting to hear from you. Many of us Delta sisters from many past years have been questing everywhere for facts, not insinuations, not media hype. We've been supporting you with letters to the editor, the NY Times, and National. The 50 odd pages of this thread are full of observations, recriminations, and blame for you, the University, and National. It's good to get some clarification from someone who is there, to get facts, not interpretations, or worse yet, the parroting back of someone else's information that may or may not be factual.

I was at DePauw way back, probably in your mother's time. DePauw hasn't changed very much since then. The reputations certainly haven't. Hold your head up, my dear. Better to have the reputation of being from the prudish, studious group. In the long run, after many years, your trying time with DZ will be less important, and what you learned at DePauw will hold you in good stead. Take the words from the creed above to heart, and forget the organization which doesn't uphold them.

Frisbee
A voice from the past with the wisdom of (several) years
Old 03-21-2007, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
that?

In a way promising to "hold a spot" is like promising a pnm a bid on pref night. If they have this policy in place and in two years there is more than 1 group wanting to come back (assuming panhellenic/university wanted to open the campus up for extension), then DZ should have a fair shake at it like everyone else if there are other dormant groups wanting to come back.
It actually does happen at some universities. I'm not familiar enough with the system at DePauw to know whether it would have been possible there. However, at my alma mater, 3 sororities closed in the time around 2001-2002ish. Once the campus is ready again for expansion, Alpha Xi Delta has the first option to recolonize (I believe it was called "first right of refusal" but I can't recall the proper terminology right now). Alpha Gamma Delta is second in line - if Alpha Xi Delta passes on the first opportunity, we have the option to come back. If Alpha Xi Delta decides to accept the first expansion opportunity, then we would have to wait for a second expansion opportunity (and make our decision to accept or pass).

(The thing that struck me as curious about that is that Tri Delts left our campus right before my freshman year - 1992. Not sure why they weren't "in line" for an expansion opportunity too, unless for some reason they didn't include that in their agreement with the university when they left campus?????? Or perhaps something in the University policy had changed between 1992 to 2002, where they changed how they worked things out when an NPC group decided to leave campus?)
Old 03-21-2007, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Yea I can understand there being a 'waiting list' at some schools... and theoretically if this was how it worked at DePauw, there were other sororities who closed before DZ did, so it wouldn't make sense to pass up those other sororities that are "in line" just because DZ has their centenial in a couple years.

But that's just my opinion
Closed Thread