GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 901
3 members and 898 guests
Cookiez17, Phrozen Sands

Old 12-25-2012, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile Georgia Tech Recruitment!

Hey everybody

This is my first thread on this forum, and I'm currently a senior in high school, so I've mostly been reading relevant threads here, but now that I'm starting to prep for rush next year (you can never be too early, right? ) I'd love to hear any opinions on rush at Georgia Tech!

Is it excessively competitive? Do most girls who rush find a sorority in the end? (I'm not picky about which ones, to be honest I'm trying to not find out about the stereotypes at all so I won't discriminate) Are rec letters desperately needed? Stuff like that!

Thanks y'all
Vivian!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-25-2012, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoviviannnn View Post
Hey everybody

This is my first thread on this forum, and I'm currently a senior in high school, so I've mostly been reading relevant threads here, but now that I'm starting to prep for rush next year (you can never be too early, right? ) I'd love to hear any opinions on rush at Georgia Tech!

Is it excessively competitive? Do most girls who rush find a sorority in the end? (I'm not picky about which ones, to be honest I'm trying to not find out about the stereotypes at all so I won't discriminate) Are rec letters desperately needed? Stuff like that!

Thanks y'all
Vivian!
Even at the most competitive schools for recruitment, the vast majority of women get a bid at the end. Rec letters are always a good idea, especially I. The South. Check the "Schools where you absolutely need recs" thread" for GA Tech. It's stickied under Sorority Recruitment. The key is you want to do everything to put your best foot forward. That means getting as many recs as you can line up. The other women you are competing with are doing the same, so by failing to do so, you are just putting yourself at a disadvantage at getting the group you want. (At GA Tech no recs will probably not get you completely released, but why risk it?)

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 12-26-2012, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Definitely I just wanted an idea of how competitive it is, really

That's cause getting rec letters are beyond problematic for me! I used to live in LA, California, but my family moved to East Asia for my dad's work, and right now I don't know too many people back in the US, so I don't have that many people to ask from and I'm trying to tap as many people as I know. I checked most alumnae chapters' websites and they seem to only supply recs for girls who live in that immediate region and went to high school there, and of course in Singapore we have no alumnae chapters at all. I went to laapa.net and the chapter doesn't seem to give out recs at all?

Is there any other way to be connected to another alumnae chapter so I could find recs? Or are there chapters which give out recs regardless of whether you stay in the region?

And if anyone has any advice at all, I would truly appreciate it
Old 12-26-2012, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Check if there's an American Women's Association/Club (www.fawco.org) where you are. If you contact the local group (they are independent, not chapters), you will likely find women who can help you out. In my AWA group, I discovered members of 5 or 6 sororities, and that was without a whole lot of effort. You may even find women who will be willing to help you prepare for rush. To say this is a charitable group is an understatement, so don't be afraid to ask for help. If you don't find answers, let me know and I'll see what I can do. I have a few other suggestions that I won't post publicly, so send me a PM if you want more help.

And in lieu of that you can contact the alumnae panhellenic in your "home" city. I know as a 3rd culture kid, you may not feel like LA is your home, but there is a big group there, and I'm sure they can help you get recs.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks dubaisis for the advice I PMed you! Thanks so much once again