GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,412
2 members and 2,410 guests
JayhawkAOII, navane

Old 01-23-2008, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Abortion Ruling Anniversary Marked

\

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2382165.shtml
Abortion Ruling Anniversary Marked

(CBS/AP) Activists on both sides of the issue Monday were marking the 34th anniversary of the Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion.

The annual March for Life will be held in Washington. President Bush will call in his support to the anti-abortion rally.

Abortion rights activists will hold a vigil at the Supreme Court and present political leaders with a petition signed by thousands of women who have said they have had abortions.

Planned Parenthood of Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota was announcing its legislative agenda for the year Monday, while Minnesota Citizens Concerned for Life was holding its annual March for Life and program on the front steps of the state Capitol. ...

In New York, supporters of abortion rights will gather at the state Capitol in Albany to thank lawmakers for legalizing abortion in New York before it was legal in the rest of the country. The New York Legislature passed a bill that legalized abortion in April 1970. It was quickly signed into law by then-Gov. Nelson Rockefeller.
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 01-23-2008, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post

The annual March for Life will be held in Washington. President Bush will call in his support to the anti-abortion rally.

Abortion rights activists will hold a vigil at the Supreme Court and present political leaders with a petition signed by thousands of women who have said they have had abortions.

Planned Parenthood of Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota was announcing its legislative agenda for the year Monday, while Minnesota Citizens Concerned for Life was holding its annual March for Life and program on the front steps of the state Capitol. ...
Ok, i'll preface this by saying that I am extremely pro-choice. I have not personally had one, but close friend's of mine have, and I've seen the repercussions first hand through them. It is extremely emotional and a very difficult decision. I don't think abortions as a means of birth control is appropriate. However, I will always always always defend a person to make decisions regarding their bodies with as much information as possible. I can't force my beliefs on others and I don't appreciate other's trying to force theirs on me (I'm not saying on GC, i just mean in general). I think picketing and everything goes on is offensive to me for that reason.

Quote:
In New York, supporters of abortion rights will gather at the state Capitol in Albany to thank lawmakers for legalizing abortion in New York before it was legal in the rest of the country. The New York Legislature passed a bill that legalized abortion in April 1970. It was quickly signed into law by then-Gov. Nelson Rockefeller.
YAY NEW YORK!
Old 01-23-2008, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
keep abortion legal. that is all.
A GD
Old 01-24-2008, 08:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrely girl View Post
keep abortion legal. that is all.
Just don't decide to live in Montana
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 01-24-2008, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

I recently drove past a Planned Parenthood (that is NOT an office that performs abortions, BTW) only to see a family of four picketing. The two kids looked like they were both under the age of about 8. Regardless of how one might feel on the issue, I think this is disgusting... using your children (who are way too young to begin to understand such a very complicated issue) to support your own personal/religious/political agenda is just so wrong on so many levels.

In some ways, I think their picketing was more of a display of what totally awesome parents are out there. Did anyone else see Jesus Camp? The entire picketing scene reminded me of the scary christian-right parents from that movie.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't see picketing as "forcing" an opinion on me - I see it as free speech in action! Whether I agree or not with the opinion being voiced, it's always good to see people who care about issues. But using kids - I don't like that.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post
I recently drove past a Planned Parenthood (that is NOT an office that performs abortions, BTW) only to see a family of four picketing. The two kids looked like they were both under the age of about 8. Regardless of how one might feel on the issue, I think this is disgusting... using your children (who are way too young to begin to understand such a very complicated issue) to support your own personal/religious/political agenda is just so wrong on so many levels.

In some ways, I think their picketing was more of a display of what totally awesome parents are out there. Did anyone else see Jesus Camp? The entire picketing scene reminded me of the scary christian-right parents from that movie.
I have a friend from high school whose parents were like that. When she was young (like under 10), her parents regularly took her with them to picket and to anti abortion rallies. Knowing them personally, I wouldn't go so far as to group her parents with the Christian-right from Jesus Camp, but her stories about those experiences were very, very interesting nonetheless.

Now she's one of the most liberal people I know.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegallyBrunette View Post
Now she's one of the most liberal people I know.
I guess there's hope yet.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

It's very popular for families to picket the PPs in Minnesota with the kids holding signs that say "My mom chose life."
Old 01-24-2008, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyPenguin View Post
It's very popular for families to picket the PPs in Minnesota with the kids holding signs that say "My mom chose life."
Do they not realize that those signs are implying that there should be a choice. It always makes me laugh when people don't realize that their signs are supporting the other side.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL.. good point kstar! I admittedly didn't get over the nausea enough to even think about the inconsistency.