GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,254
0 members and 1,254 guests
No Members online

Old 03-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Banned

Before you write up a new thread .............

1. USE the search function and READ threads that have already been posted that are similiar to yours!!! *it will stop the repetiveness of some the newer threads*

2. Please use correct grammar and punctuation. Nobody wants to see:
OMG like OMG like srsly OMG no she did nawt just
pref that one sorority when she was a junior.. like
EH MA GAWD!!!

or this

So I jUsT gOt DoNe WiTh My FiRsT rOuNd AnD bLaH
bLaH bLaH bLaH .....

and lastly

DO NOT ASK WHAT GREEK LIFE IS AT A CERTAIN SCHOOL. In general, the majority of GCers won't know what Greek Life is like at State U or Podunk University because they didn't go there.

If you feel the urge to ask this question then CALL THE UNIVERSITY OR COLLEGE'S GREEK LIFE OFFICE BEFORE YOU POST ON GC!!!! The Greek Life Office will always be able to help you more than us GCers.

if yall can think of any more things to add... go ahead and add them on.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-26-2008, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug10474 View Post
1. USE the search function and READ threads that have already been posted that are similiar to yours!!! *it will stop the repetiveness of some the newer threads*
Your own advice . . . follow it.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

i dont get it
Old 03-26-2008, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

And to add to the above,

GCers come here to chat with other members of GLO's, not to be an encyclopedia for all things greek. If you are interested in these orgs, visit their official websites and read some of the books out there (amazon.com is your friend).

Most of the NPHC orgs have rules and recommendations posted in their forums on this site. Go there and read these before asking all kinds of crazy, tactless questions.

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug10474 View Post
2. Please use correct grammar and punctuation.

if yall can think of any more things to add... go ahead and add them on.
You have failed at posting on Greekchat.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Banned

I know, it's SUCH a travesty.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
And to add to the above,

GCers come here to chat with other members of GLO's, not to be an encyclopedia for all things greek. If you are interested in these orgs, visit their official websites and read some of the books out there (amazon.com is your friend).

Most of the NPHC orgs have rules and recommendations posted in their forums on this site. Go there and read these before asking all kinds of crazy, tactless questions.

Thanks.
enlarged for emphasis. at 2008, if it hasnt been written, talked, or blogged about, its probably on GC. and if it's not, then its probably on a need-to-know basis.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

And, if you want to talk about the country of Greece, call Europe!
Old 03-26-2008, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Do not come to GC with an attitude and expect us to embrace you with open arms. If you are grown up enough to dish it out, then you should be grown up enough to take it. If you can't handle it, then you need to go away until you've matured.

GC=Big Brother. You just never know who's on here. Our posters are highly skilled private eyes. They can find out what school you're talking about in no time flat. If you don't want your business out there, then keep your business to yourself
Old 03-26-2008, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

The people who need to read this thread...............won't.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Is there any way that when someone registers they can automatically receive an introduction statement? Something along the lines of how GC works, what is acceptable (i.e. no MIP questioning), and what the environment of GC is like. I think it would save many new users from feeling out of place and/or offended. Some newbies eagerly post without reading about the frustrations of veteran users first and receive hostile reply because they are unaware that many would prefer the "search first, ask later" policy that seems to be in practice.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

it would be nice if the search function lets you type in 3 letter words...many orgs are 3 letters, and it's not like everyone on GC types in Alpha Beta Gamma Sorority, Incorporated every time they mention ABC org....so to get around this.... (I learned this from another GC, i'll give credit when I can find the person who suggested this again)

go to google

go to advance search

type in whatever you are interested in (including the 3 letter word of the greek org)

in site (or domain): type in greekchat.com

and voila!
Old 03-27-2008, 03:33 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousSasha View Post
Is there any way that when someone registers they can automatically receive an introduction statement? Something along the lines of how GC works, what is acceptable (i.e. no MIP questioning), and what the environment of GC is like. I think it would save many new users from feeling out of place and/or offended. Some newbies eagerly post without reading about the frustrations of veteran users first and receive hostile reply because they are unaware that many would prefer the "search first, ask later" policy that seems to be in practice.
This is actually a nice idea. Perhaps a general email once the account is activated can be generated. However, I just don't see it happening.

Many will argue that it's the user's responsibility to pay attention to the stickied threads at the top of each forum, and in a way, I agree. At the same time, I know for a fact that pulling teeth would be more pleasant than getting all the mods to agree on what gets included in that introduction statement. Take Recruitment/Membership Intake, for example. MIP discussion in NPHC forums is strictly forbidden. Recruitment discussion is not only welcomed, but encouraged, in the General Recruitment Forums. I think it'd be difficult to not get detailed in a general intro statement.

But hey, if that's something you really want...by all means, PM John. $5 says he'll get back to you in two years.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
1. You are rushing as a sophomore? That is great. There are a hundred threads that already answer the "will I get a bid" question that you have. Read those threads instead of starting a new one. The answers won't change.
Co-sign!!!!! Geez, how many threads are there asking "I'm an upper classman, what are my chances?"
Old 03-27-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousSasha View Post
Well, the thing is, unless you are interested in an NPHC group, that info really doesn't apply. A 60 year old alum of an NPC group registering and getting a message like that will probablly just get confused and not participate.

The best rule for GC or ANY message board is: LURK FOR A WHILE BEFORE YOU REGISTER/POST. Unless you're stupid, you can figure out how things are done just by shutting up and reading.