GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Lambda > Lambda Chi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,423
1 members and 1,422 guests
Titchou

Old 11-03-2005, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EM1843
The only problem I have had with the "financial crisis" arguement is that I have been hearing it for four years now. I'm sure some of you have been hearing it longer. Obviously IHQ needs to figure out how to solve the issue. Undergrad dues are at an all time high as are alumni donations. With increased revenue should come increased benefits. All I have seen was the JT Charles Mentoring program and increased benefits to the ELCs (who desparately needed them, IHQ had not even been paying them a living wage). I'm not trying to point fingers, but at what point do they no longer say "financial instability" and begin saying we've figured out what we've done wrong.
I think we all agree that it is important to admit the errors of ones ways and ask forgiveness, but we also know that it is important to decide on how one would rectify the error.
I'm still waiting on step 3...
Old 11-03-2005, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to john1082 Send a message via AIM to john1082 Send a message via MSN to john1082 Send a message via Yahoo to john1082
Another step

I view this as yet another step in getting our financial house in order. The problem didn't appear overnight; expenditures exceeded revenues for a long time. Saving $250,000 will move us further down the recovery road.

The annual budget is something like $3.4 million so the $250K would be something like 6% to 7% of the budget. That is a significant savings. By not spending those dollars we can bring expenditures down to closer match revenue and that is something that we must do.

Cutting personnel costs was one tool that could be and indeed was used. Cutting the cost of the C&C is a cut in member services, but it is one that could be compensated for in some measure.

Some costs are fixed - we have to maintain the HQ building, we have to cover chapter visits and pay employees. Insurance must be obtained. conferences must be planned and paid for. true, the foundation covers some of these expenses, but not all of these expenses. The balance, the biggest part of the budget, comes from undergrad dues and we need to try and keep those reasonable if we can. Something else had to go and the printed C & C was it.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 11-03-2005, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I am sure as was stated before, it took a while to sap the Finances of IHQ by at least one previous Ex. Director from what I learned and it will take a while to get the Ship of The Fraternity straight.

While a hard line does need to be taken, I wonder about some of the moves. It is not My decision to make, but, I hope it turns around quickly.

As DocRoc said C & C is a leader among Fraternitys/Sororitys along with the ELC Program. For example K S has Volunteers for Divisonal Personell along with at least A S A. + 1 for us.

While it may be true that Donations are growing and Recruitment is turning the corner it will take a lot of money for functioning in the day to day world.

The IHQ Headquarters is only so to small, but there is land owned behind the current building for expansion if when ever.

It will be very interesting to get the financial accountings from the G A next year and I hope that the ones who will be there will use a jaundiced eye.

There are two Brothers on Site that I have never seen this upset before.

Guess, We must bite the bullet for the time and see what transpires.

Maybe if each would do as I have tried to do, Notify Your Members to contact IHQ to update their information.

I have seen names for donations that have never donated to the Zeta and I dont have their emails in My Listing.

No matter where each of our donations go, whether it be on the National or Local level, it all helps one way or the other.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-03-2005, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Cross & Cresent On TV!

According To Bookem, There will be a film version on TV, not sure where, Entitled "The Cross and Cresent. He will check when He gets Home and call Me and I will let You know!

Might be interesting to watch and compare!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-03-2005, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ZetaPhi708
a film version? via your computer?
Old 11-03-2005, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a fascinating discussion so I wanted to add my 2 cents.

On one hand I think it is important to support our national fraternity (Raymond) because like it or not they represent us. However on the other hand I also feel lied to about the C&C "trust fund" as I am sure many alumni will feel about it when they see they dont get one anymore (Lifesaver).

Let me express my middle road concern

CONSISTENCY and ATTENTION TO MINUTE DETAIL

Let me explain

3 years ago we got a quarterly C&C of a certain quality, that was consistently on time. Then it went to odd scheduling and the format varied widely with mostly negative response, this was to save money. Then we were told that the people that didnt "give money" or "ask for a subscription" would not receive one, and the format got upgraded again for the last two issues. Last summer I emailed Kip Zurcher to see whatever happened to the bound C&C editions as my chapter didnt have one past 2000 (Mike are you with me here- DAMN COLLECTORS!! I have like 3000 vintage comic books so I hear you when you notice out of sequence events) He informed me that the status of that was "up in the air" then it never happened~ Kip is gone so I assume that is done with forever now with no fanfare to the end of a 90 year tradition that ruled.

Then I started getting these sweet emails from IHQ called "This Week at HQ"- high graphics and detail with insider content for like 6 months, then I didnt get them ever again (dont know how I got it and got on or off the list?). Then we started getting Bill Farkas's emails which were cool this year, now I havent seen one in a month or so (is this gone too?). Then we find out here from Mike Raymond that there is a C&C website and the paper one in all formats is gone. So the C&C saga changed like 6 times in that story mixed in with some emails that came and went as well.

During all that time is when the LCA website has become almost totally irrevant due to content being impossible to find and in some cases wildly out of date. So now I am supposed to believe that ANOTHER website will be maintained with Blogs and such when the "directory chapter listing" for the entire fraternity is a year old at least and my chapter has a High Alpha listed that is 4 years out of school now? I would embrace this more if a consistent plan was being adhered to as well, but since www.lambdachi.org is such a disappointment I fear that C&C.com will be as well. (also there are TONS of typos in the new pedagogus so I'm doubly scared by that as well)

In closing I will email all of my alumni (370 on the email group) to support the new C&C online from my chapter, and Ill even submit content-heck they put one of my pictures in the first issue that I looked at yesterday. HOWEVER my friends and brothers with the death of this as a printed material websites like this are now the new frontier of LCA print/ideas and news.

Independent Online bulletinboards= Future

I have learned more on this website about LCA than I did from any of the C&C's recently which had become slow out of date "PR pieces" anyway, unlike the glory years of Linn Lightner's incredible older issues. While Im sure some people will respond to the online items there, the love, interest and content on this very bulletinboard has become my "newspaper and editorial" on the day to day operations of real brothers and chapters that had never really been heard from before (why didnt Tom Earp have a quarterly column in the C&C, "Uncle Tom's Attic" or something? What did we do without this guy?). One of the cool things that is here that LCA cannot do is to have argument and dissent. While GammaZeta has pissed alot of you off, he makes me think, and think hard about things that we dont like to talk about. C&C really cant do that, so thanks GZ for being the dissent guy here, we need that, not alot of "yes men" and feel good stuff.

So while guys like Mike Raymond and I cant collect items anymore, we probably are getting more content on this website- so tell a brother to "come home here" if they miss their C&C.

And Ill see you here at the website tommorrow afternoon again guys like I do almost every day around this time with or without my C&C sort of like going to the house after classes to have a beer and shoot a game of pool.

zax
Lenoxxx

Visit this website if you miss what TV Guide did in destroying www.jumptheshark.com a fan website run by the fans in 2009!

Last edited by lenoxxx; 11-03-2005 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

As a quick update to this discussion on a very positive note- the online C&C content was able to be immediately transfered to our own website to have all of their content on a sidebar, we could never do this before- check it out on our main page left side sidebar

www.phitauzeta.org

The cup is half full now!

Lenoxxx

Visit this website if you miss what TV Guide did in destroying www.jumptheshark.com a fan website run by the fans in 2009!
Old 11-03-2005, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EM1843
I did notice that IHQ was able to "scrape" together the cash to print their annual "donations" list. FSU donated enough to subsidise the entire cost of the C&C.

Like I've been saying I like the new version, but there are much larger issues than a magazine here. What is IHQs plan, what is their vision?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

There Was A Plan But Circumstances Changed

Quote:
Originally posted by EM1843

Like I've been saying I like the new version, but there are much larger issues than a magazine here. What is IHQs plan, what is their vision? [/B]
If you go to the Lambda Chi Website, "click" on General Fraternity, and then "click" on Board of Directors you will find GHA Grossnickle's "State of the Fraternity" address and the 2003-2006 Action Plan.

You will also note that circumstances torpedoed much of the Action Plan. However, they did have a strong plan in place prior to the financial crisis. The mismanagement and poor communications of the past "leader" is the root cause of our current problem. While I would like to have the paper C&C in my hands, I am most concerned about the six people who lost their jobs and the current staff that has had to pick up more responsiblities. A Magazine is a Magazine but they are my Brothers and Sisters.

I would like to see the GHZ share a new and comprehensive plan of action with us.

Yours in ZAX,

Mike Raymond, ZUZ

Last edited by docroc67; 11-03-2005 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Could someone in the "know" explain what exactly happened with all of our finances that has created this great financial problem? Ive heard alot of individual snippets on this topic from brothers in passing, but it seems to be the root of what we are discussing.

Lenoxxx

Old 11-04-2005, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to john1082 Send a message via AIM to john1082 Send a message via MSN to john1082 Send a message via Yahoo to john1082
Finances

There are several reasons why we fell into trouble:

The staff was expanded - people cost money, money in the form of salaries, benefits, and office space. An example is the introduction of the region coordinators: New positions. Vickie Hardin did a great job for us in the west, but she and her colleagues cost money. If you have access to an old copy of the C & C, say from the early eighties, look at the size of the staff.

We started up LCA Properties - I don't know the funding of this activity but there had to be start-up costs; I don't know where those dollars came from.

Revenues did not increase to keep pace with the head count increase. Investment income was down and new associations and initiations dropped. That equals less money.

Insurance costs went up.

Less money came in as more money went out.

Should folks have been more vigilent? Yes, they should have been. Unfortunately, they weren't. As a result we will spend considerable time, treasure, and heartbreak putting our house in order.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 11-04-2005, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

First off:

Cross and Cresent the Show on TV. History Channel at 8:00 Sun night.

May be an intersesting watch.

Second:

I finally stumbled through the NEW C & C on line. I dont really consider it actually user friendly. Granted, it is going to take time to get use to it, but, I am not impressed.

Two of The Greatest items We as a Internationl Fraternity had was C & C to keep in touch with Alums and Actives per sey.

The Second Was The Web Site. This "Was" a way for Active and Alums to keep in touch.

It was also an important selling tool that could be used for PNA.

But, it too had fallen into disrepair/updating and was so hard to navigate that it was hard to find anything.

Vicky Harden and many of the other hard working members or being cut and I will as I am sure many will miss them.

They were not there for just the money alone but for a little of the love for the job, Members of The LXA Fraternity, and enjoying what they were doing.

I have news that Vicky Harden is now working for another Fraternity. DTD.

As I was told It is Their Gain and Our Loss!!!

As I mentioned, there is land that LXA owns, and land is valuable, it may be time to look at selling some of it off and replentishing coffers that way.

But, as was mentioned, by cutting staff back to bare bones, how soon will some get burned out and say "Who needs it"?

Our Stature as An International Fraternity seems to be having a little glow taken from it and We are becoming another National Fraternity who is just getting by!

Mike, I do not or ever will speak with an Offical Voice of LXA, but just a Brother who has been around a very long time.

As lenoxxx said, I have learned more off of GC about LXA than any Publication We have. Thank Goodness, I have Brothers like each and everyone of You!

Thank You All!

"Uncle Toms Attic" Like it, but they dont have a reader who can scipher My Earp Speak!

I joined a 1 st Rate Fraternity, I dont want to stay one of just The Normal Ones.

We are and always have been Leaders enven though We are one of the youngest! Please dont let it be changed now.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-04-2005, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ZetaPhi708
Tom, I looked up that show on the History Channel's website and it is about the Crusades. Looks interesting.

I thought you were talking about a new live talk show ( syndicated ) about and for brothers and associates.

LMAO

Boy, am I embarassed.....
Old 12-01-2005, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

December Issue of C&C

Brothers,

The next issue of the electronic edition of the C&C Magazine will be posted tomorrow. It should be available for review bright and early in the morning!

Also, it appears that the electronic Newsletter, that was sent to interested Brothers a couple of times a month, will no longer be published.

Yours in ZAX,

Mike Raymond, Z-U Zeta
Old 12-01-2005, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Hate to hear about about the weekly up dates. But, I am sure time constrictions with all going on and short staff dictate what is being done for other things!

I just hope the Navagation of the Online C & C gets better for us dumb Puter users!!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni