GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,372
1 members and 1,371 guests
LaneSig

Old 08-16-2006, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rollergirl2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by JocelynC
I have another question. For the Analytical (Writing) section, how long (on average) should your responses be?
Jocelyn, I don't know if you have taken the test or not (or when you take the test), but with the writing part, it can be 4 to 5 paragraphs long. I would recommend you pick up Cracking the GRE. They'll give you a good guideline about how to write your essay.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
It's not particularly hard. But then, I'm good at standardized tests. I took the GRE recently- my score was similar to when I took the paper version 9 years ago.

Some tips:

- Read a lot. And don't be afraid to read the dictionary or encyclopedia.
- Do get a practice book if it has been a while since you have taken a math class.
- Do get a good night sleep the day before the test. And if you need to be woken up, drink some coffee if you are accustomed to it. Make sure to eliminate allergens and not eat anything new just before it.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 08-19-2006, 01:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rollergirl2001
Another thing:

Complete ALL questions! You will get penailized for every question you do not answer. So even if you get all the answers right and you left off 4 question, you will not get a perfect score.

Ask for the GRE POWERPREP CD at the gre website at ets.org. It is very helpful.

MAJOR NOTE:
There will be some major changes concerning the GRE test that will take effect in the fall of 2007, so if you have to grad school and you're graduating this semester or in the springtime, take it before the changes do occur. And you will be in the testing room longer, because with verbal and quantitative, you will have two 40 minute sections on both parts, instead of one section each. And both writing parts are 30 minutes each, so the issue task is reduced by 15 minutes. You can also find more info at ets.org.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
I just wanted to let you know that last night I dreamed of the GRE.

For some reason, they did not give me all the questions or sections- just one for verbal and one for math that were very very short each. And of course, I ended up getting a pathetic combined score. I think it even was like 500 for one section and 300 or so for another.

And the strangest part is that I was trying to get the head of my library to call the ETS on my cell phone. And that another employee from the library says that they ripped her off exactly the same way.

I have no idea why I had such a strange dream. I usually do very well on standardized tests- and there is no reason why those two ladies would be involved with my GRE.

Theta Phi Alpha