GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,089
1 members and 1,088 guests
Sarak24034

Old 11-25-2013, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Moving to Augusta, Ga -tips?

I'm hoping for some advice/information on Augusta, Ga since I am not familiar with the area at all. DS has gotten a job offer and will be moving there soon. Would love input on places or areas for a recent college grad to live and anything else you'd like to share with regards to meeting young single people. This network has been SO helpful in the past although I know this is a very random request!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

If you don't get enough helpful responses here, pm me! My son-in-law is from metro Augusta and I can ask him.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

My first job out of college was in Augusta, so I was in that "young, single" category at the time. IMO, Augusta doesn't actually qualify as a city and it doesn't have the same opportunities to meet other young single people that cities have. (Keep in mind that I moved to Augusta from Georgia Tech which is in the heart of Atlanta. That may have influenced my perception of Augusta as a smallish town.) I finally started meeting people by getting involved in hobbies I loved. I started volunteering at a local community theater organization and singing with a big downtown church choir and met a ton of people that way.

Be aware that the whole town revolves around the Masters golf tournament in the spring. The school systems schedule their spring break so the locals can leave town to avoid the chaos that week. Some of the local families actually rent their homes to visitors who come for the tournament, some even providing daily "maid service" in their own home to their rental guests. One of my biggest regrets is not using the free ticket my boss gave me to one of the practice rounds that week. I was young and golf-ignorant, and didn't realize what a treat it would be just to walk the course! Live and learn....