GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,400
3 members and 1,397 guests
flamboyanttree, Xidelt

Old 09-20-2008, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

not your typical rush story :)

hey everyone!
i've been reading greekchat for a while and have gotten lots of great advice and tips. i just finished going through rush at my school and would like to share my story with the hope that it will provide some sort of inspiration for someone out there! i'm going to be completely honest about my opinions and stuff!

before i get started, here's some background:
i went through rush last year as a freshman at my school. i went in already being in LOVE with one sorority and certain that was where i would end up. i made it all the way to the 3rd round, right before pref night, and was cut. i was devasted. how could the sorority i was destined to be in cut me?? i watched as all the new members fell in love with their sororities and got to do fun sisterhood things. i was so sad and angry at the same time.

fast-forward a few weeks...one of my friends tells me about a sorority that is doing COB. since this sorority was in my top 5 during rush, i decided that i should give it a try. i still really wanted to be apart of a sorority. so i went to the COB events, confident and hoping for the best, and sadly i was cut again.

once again, i was devastated and confused. what was wrong with me? i thought i was an attractive, well-rounded, fun person! why weren't the sororities seeing that?
i spent the rest of my year getting involved in other stuff on campus and making new friends. i met amazing people and had so much fun. however, i still could not shake the feeling that greek life was something i really wanted to be apart of.

so, i decided that i was going to try one last time and go through formal recruitment again as a sophomore. my gpa was great, i was involved, and i was prepared for whatever happened. even if i didn't make it, i still had great friends and so much to look forward to. this time around, i was going in with a whole new attitude and would honestly be fine either way.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-20-2008, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

cant wait for your story!
Old 09-20-2008, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WinniBug
I have a feeling this one has a happy ending....
:-)
wherever there is fun, there's ALWAYS ALPHA SIGMA!

Old 09-21-2008, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WinniBug
lol
you gave us way more background info than week-of info
wherever there is fun, there's ALWAYS ALPHA SIGMA!

Old 09-21-2008, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I look forward to hearing more!

GPhiB
Old 09-21-2008, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I want to hear all the details with this story!! It sounds good!

"To see beauty even in the common things of life..."
Old 09-21-2008, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

okay so here's a brief description of the 7 sororities i visited:
green: this was the sorority that i was in love with last year. i was paired with a girl who was really nice but i just didn't feel the same vibe i did last year. i knew i wanted this sorority for the wrong reasons. however i was still willing to give them a chance, i was just really interested in seeing the other sororities.
blue: i really, really liked these girls. they were so genuine and funny. the girl i talked with was so sweet and our conversation went so smoothy. i could see myself fitting in here!
yellow: this was the sorority that i went to for COB the year before. i already knew i didn't belong here, but i was polite and got through it without much awkwardness.
red: this sorority was interesting. all of the girls were so different and didn't seem to have a very good bond in my opinion. the girl i talked to seemed totally uninterested and didn't smile the entire time...she barely made eye contact. i left feeling confused.
purple: i really enjoyed this sorority alot too. the girl i was with was funny and made me feel so comfortable. the time just flew by and i felt good when i left this sorority.
orange: this sorority seemed really sweet. i knew a few girls in here and liked them, but i didn't know if it was the right fit for me. however, the girl i talked to was nice but i still just didn't get that sense of belonging. i still wanted to give them a chance though.
brown: these girls seemed chill. came off as a little boring but i was still interested. the girl i was with was very relaxed and our conversation was light but good.

at the end of the day i ranked them like this:
blue
purple
orange
brown
green
yellow
red

the next day i anxiously awaited my schedule. finally, my rho called and told me i had been invited back to 5 parties and could come get my schedule and get started. i was so happy! i got my schedule and was invited back to: blue, purple, orange, green, and red.

my opinions pretty much stayed the same. i could see myself in blue or purple but i didn't want to get my hopes up and still had an open mind! red was a let down again but i could tell the girls were trying a little harder. green was rushing me so hard and i couldn't believe it! i had wanted them so bad the year before and didn't get them, and now they wanted me? i was so confused. but i trusted my instinct and ranked them in the same order that night.

finally, round 3 rolled around. i was so nervous but prepared for whatever happened. to my shock and delight, i got invited back to blue, purple, green, and red. i was a little saddened that orange had cut me but i was thrilled that blue and purple still wanted me. the parties went really well. green was being so nice and acting like they really, really wanted me. i was so confused!! blue and purple were tied in my mind and red was still at the bottom. i really struggled with where to rank green but at the end of the night i decided to rank blue and purple as my top 2 for pref. night.

i was thrilled when my rho told me that i got invited back to my top 2 for pref night!!! i was beyond proud of myself and so happy. i had worked so hard and finally it seemed like it was really going to happen for me.

Last edited by JuicyPrincess09; 09-21-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds great! Looking forward to hearing how Pref went...and Bid Day, of course.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuicyPrincess09 View Post
green: this was the sorority that i was in love with last year. i was paired with a girl who was really nice but i just didn't feel the same vibe i did last year. i knew i wanted this sorority for the wrong reasons. however i was still willing to give them a chance, i was just really interested in seeing the other sororities.
I have to add something else.

Isn't it amazing how a year can change your perspective? I think it shows a lot of maturity to recognize that you want a group for the wrong reasons but still give them and all the other houses a chance. You never know what can reveal itself when you keep an open mind...in this case, purple and blue!

I like your story.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks for not having me hanging on forever- I'm glad you stuck it out and tried again. Hoping this has a great ending for you.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

finally pref night rolled around and i went to purple first.
purple: i was paired with a girl i had talked to alot earlier during the week. she made me feel so comfortable and remembered a lot of things i had told her. i just had this feeling of belonging all throughout the ceremony and almost cried which is big for me because i don't normally cry over things like this!
blue: all of the girls looked so nice. i was paired with a girl that i hadn't met before so it wasn't as personal as purple but she was still so welcoming and sweet. i could really see myself here. the girls were all so friendly and i knew the bond between all of them was genuine.

i left feeling so confused. i really, truly liked both purple and blue. i knew i could fit in great at either and was just so excited that my hope of being in a sorority was finally almost here!! i sat and thought for a good thirty minutes before i decided to rank them. i honestly was torn, but at the end of the night i had a slightly stronger feeling towards one of them. i ranked them and left, hoping that i had made the right decision and would receive a bid. i was still nervous and worried about my decision but i was exhausted and just wanted to sleep on it and wait for the next morning, hoping i didn't get the dreaded call...
Old 09-22-2008, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Go purple!
Old 09-22-2008, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OHNOITSJESS
i like blue
Old 09-22-2008, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
Purple is my favorite color so I'm pulling for purple!!
Old 09-22-2008, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DZJess Send a message via Skype™ to DZJess
go blue!