GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,338
0 members and 2,338 guests
No Members online

Old 12-03-2003, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DXPDelyte
You should look into joining the new National Multicultural Greek Council - www.nationalmgc.org. It's a great new org for muticultural sororities and fraternities.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-04-2003, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to zchi2
Quote:
Originally posted by DXPDelyte
You should look into joining the new National Multicultural Greek Council - www.nationalmgc.org. It's a great new org for muticultural sororities and fraternities.
But the website says that they aren't excepting new applications for joining. Have they open it up for other groups now?
Old 12-04-2003, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

It is true that NMGC is not accepting applications right now. We are still in the process of finalizing our member applications. However, we hope and anticipate to be accepting new member applications in the coming year.

If you have any questions - feel free to post a reply or to email me.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to zchi2
I actually posted some questions about the council in another thread but one of your sisters was not able to answer them because she is a newbie to DXP. So here is what I said to her...

Since your organization is apart of it, what do you think are the advantages of being apart of the NMGC? What are
some of the activities of NMGC? How has your organization benefited from the being apart of the council?
Old 12-04-2003, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

My sister actually asked me that question in an email (b/c she was trying to get a response for you), and this is what I told her:

"Well - I think the main benefits are just getting to "network" w/other multicultural greeks. Through this org, we can support each other and the "cause" of multicultural sororities and fraternities. We can organize events together, and help each other recruit new members. We can share ideas and provide support to each other. It's tough to be an organization "out there" on your own, and the NMGC will provide an important source of support and strength for all of us.

So far, we haven't done too many activities just b/c the council is just getting up and running. However, we are hoping to do some community service and social events together. We are also hoping to get "local" NMGC chapters set up at various universities to provide support for the multicultural greeks at the universities."

I think that the NMGC really has a lot of potential to become an important group for multicultural greeks, but also to become an important organization in our community and in our country. There aren't a lot of multicultural national organizations in the US, so I think that just the fact that such an org would exist would make an important statement to people.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Takeshi Send a message via Yahoo to Takeshi
I invite everyone to check out our updated site @ http://www.nationalmgc.org/ where you can register for our October conference and find out more about membership requirements.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ProPhetic1 Send a message via Yahoo to ProPhetic1
Some of the Christian Fraternities & Sororities are coming togeter to for the NACFS(National Alliance For Christian Fraternities & Sororities).

There is also a new council that was recently formed called National American Greek Council
Old 05-16-2007, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MsDGP007 Send a message via Yahoo to MsDGP007
National Multicultural Greek Council

Hello! I starting this thread due to some discussions here.

My sorority is multicultural, but we are not currently eligible to join the NMGC. Actually, it never came up formally.

There are some pretty big (big in relation to MCGLOs) organizations out there who are not members (like Theta Nu Xi and Omega Delta). On one hand, I feel very encouraged to see that there is an umbrella organization which is just for us. On the other hand, many or the organizations formed in the same regional area (the Northeast) so you sort of feel that they've been familiar with each other and working together for quite some time. Is the NMGC incorporated...and if so, does it offer any logistical services like insurance, legal faciliatation, collegiate advocacy? Are there any plans or goals for this?

I feel the biggest problem facing MCGLOs is recognition; from both collegians and the schools. The NMGC for the present, seems like a badge, and not really an advocate. I fully admit that I could be totally wrong. But it is a bit hard to garnish an objective opinion of the organization.

Understand I am all for our own national governing body. Currently, I feel that my organization is a local because that how we approach the schools; although we have active sisters in multiple States. It's a weird position to be in. Again, perhaps the NMGC is pushing for some sort of program that will make it easier for MCGLOs....but I have not seen or heard the details.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

in response to the OP, while my sorority does fall under the NMGC, we don't have one on our campus. so we are associate members of both the NPC and NPHC for now, until we have enough other orgs to justify a new council. we don't vote for formal votes, but we can do presentations and work with both councils just like we were members. i think we do pay semesterly dues, but they're reduced.

as for the more recent question about NGMC, i will check it out further and get back to you. i'm a neo, so i don't really know the nitty-gritty of how our council works, bit the president is one of LPsiD's "founding mothers" (we call her a Black Diamond, but for clarity's sake...) so i will e-mail her and ask about membership and address some of the other questions asked in the post above mine.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MsDGP007 Send a message via Yahoo to MsDGP007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilaria Ame View Post

as for the more recent question about NGMC, i will check it out further and get back to you. i'm a neo, so i don't really know the nitty-gritty of how our council works, bit the president is one of LPsiD's "founding mothers" (we call her a Black Diamond, but for clarity's sake...) so i will e-mail her and ask about membership and address some of the other questions asked in the post above mine.

Thank you - I would really appreciate that!
Old 08-13-2007, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

sorry it's taking me so long to get the information. i am waiting on an e-mail from denise and she has a lot on her plate so i'm not expecting it until she's done with the case she's working on (she's a lawyer). but it is coming!
Old 06-15-2009, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I am bumping this thread because our chapter is currently undergoing the same issues. Any new thoughts?
Old 08-12-2009, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

my sorority is facing a similar dilema that the OP discussed. we are the first and the only latina sorority at Missouri State University, along with being a local chapter. we were apart of NPH until 2001 when we were "kicked out" because we were not D9, and PHA does not fit our needs as a culturally based sorority. so we decided to start our own MGC (multi-cultural greek council) at MSU along with an NALFO frat (NALFO is not at MSU either). were still in the process of being official, and recognized by the university.....
Old 08-12-2009, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquiporvida View Post
my sorority is facing a similar dilema that the OP discussed. we are the first and the only latina sorority at Missouri State University, along with being a local chapter. we were apart of NPH until 2001 when we were "kicked out" because we were not D9, and PHA does not fit our needs as a culturally based sorority. so we decided to start our own MGC (multi-cultural greek council) at MSU along with an NALFO frat (NALFO is not at MSU either). were still in the process of being official, and recognized by the university.....
Are those 2 organizations the only two that would fall under MGC?

And if the fraternity is the one I think, it's not NALFO

Old 08-12-2009, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

for now....as far as "founding members". we are planning offer other forms of membership like affiliate/asscociate membership for NPHC orgs. or IFC/PHA orgs who would want to be liaisons for their councils.......