GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,215
3 members and 1,212 guests
lauralaylin, naraht, PGD-GRAD

Old 10-04-2001, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

How did your GLO select its Greek letters?

This is kind of a random question but I've always been curious. I'd like to know the origin of how all the GLO's chose their greek letters. I realize this is secret for some groups, but if not, I'd love to hear. Also, what is the origin of the name of your national magazine? We all have such a rich history and I love learning all the symbolism.

Here is the story of ADPi:
We were originally named The Adelphean Society when we were founded at Wesleyan Female College (Georgia) in 1851. The word "Adelphean" is derived from the Greek word meaning sister. In 1904 we voted to become national and in 1905 we changed our name to Alpha Delta Phi (because it closley resembled the word "Adelphean"). In 1913 it was changed to Alpha Delta Pi because of the confusion with a mens' fraternity of the same name.

Our magazine is "The Adelphean" after our original name.

In 1852, Phi Mu, also founded at Wesleyan Female college was originally called The Philomathian (sp?). I assume they chose "Phi Mu" because of the resemblance to Philo-Mathian.

I look forward to hearing y'all's histories!
Old 10-04-2001, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
AOII

Would love to share but it is a secret.
Old 10-04-2001, 05:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to pirate00 Send a message via Yahoo to pirate00
Alpha Phi Omega

To find out this information, one must go through the Initiation ritual. Sorry!
Old 10-04-2001, 05:31 PM

They chose the name so that the letters put together would sound the same as the first word in the Greek moto.
Ex: Zeta Tau Alpha the first word is zeta and letters of the full moto is ZTA.
Old 10-04-2001, 06:28 PM

Delta Gamma has an open motto "Do Good"

DO GOOD was the motto of the Founders of Delta Gamma. They were 3 young women who were at a Prepartory School, the Lewis School (not a university)

Do Good = DG = Delta Gamma!

Also, some of the founders had sweethearts who were Delta Psi at nearby Ole Miss, so it has been suggested that that is where the "Delta" came from, because it was familiar from their beaus fraternity, the Delta Psi, Delta Gamma connection.

The magazine for Delta Gamma is "The Anchora". This likely stems from the fact that it is because our badge, is shaped like an anchor, which is the ancient symbol of hope (Old, old DG badges were actually an "H" at one time, an "H" to symbolize hope).

Anything beyond that is secret!

Delta Gamma also has only ever had one MALE INITIATE! His name was George Banta who was also a Phi Delta Theta and yes, indeed, he was initiated into Delta Gamma. When he was asked be initiated into Delta Gamma, he said it was the "kindest compliment" that he had ever received in his life! He was instrumental in spreading the word of Delta Gamma and getting many DG chapters established. However, even though he was a Phi Delta Theta, Phi Delta Theta is not considered our brother fraternity, but Georga Banta is highly regarded and Delta Gamma owes much to him! Of course, he had daughters and grand-daughters, and they were all DELTA GAMMAS!!!

Another interesting tidbit: I read in my New Member Education manual that Delta Gamma even had a "call" at one time, but it has been discontinued in use.

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 10-04-2001 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-04-2001, 06:59 PM

Sorry, can't say.
Old 10-04-2001, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
The history of how TKE got its name.

It was not long after their recognition on campus that the Knights of Classic Lore were approached by some alumni of the Illinois Epsilon chapter of Phi Delta Theta, whose charter had been surrendered in 1897. The Phi Delt alumni saw in this new group an opportunity for the restoration of its charter, and interested themselves in converting it into a strong local fraternity. Through the persuasion and effort of Richard Henry Little, for columnist on the Chicago Tribune and one of the most prominent Phi Delt alumni, the Knights presented a petition to the Phi Delta Theta national organization at its convention in New York in 1902. The petition was rejected.

In hopes that their organization might be more attractive to Phi Delta Theta, it was decided that a Greek letter name should be adopted. The name "Knights of Classic Lore" was therefore abandoned and the Greek letters Tau Kappa Epsilon selected. As a further step, a fraternity house was rented. This was the first fraternity house at Illinois Wesleyan, although Phi Gamma Delta and Sigma Chi had both been in existence on campus for many years. The Wilder Mansion, former home of President Wilder of the University, became the first TKE house.

In the ensuing years, the Phi Delt alumni and some of the undergraduate members continued to press for affiliation with Phi Delta Theta by promoting petitions at the 1904 and 1906 Phi Delt national conventions. In each instance the petition was either withdrawn or postponed. It is reported that one of the petitions came within one vote of being accepted.

Late in 1907, several undergraduate members of Tau Kappa Epsilon were again preparing a petition to be presented to the Phi Delta Theta national convention in 1908. The wisdom of petitioning, however, was being questioned with increasing frequency. To increase enthusiasm for this fourth attempt, a banquet was held on October 19, 1907, at which speeches were made both advocating and questioning the proposal. One of the most notable and influential speeches given was a blistering address by Wallace G. McCauley, titled "Opportunity Out of Defeat," in which he advocated the abandonment of the petitioning process and the substitution of a campaign for TKE to become its own national fraternity.

Bet phi delt regrets that one seeing TKE has the most chapters and has like the 3rd highest amount of members.
Old 10-04-2001, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

How interesting!

I never knew the connection between PhiDelt and TKE. That IS ironic that TKE is so huge now. Is PhiDelt big nationally? They were at Texas Tech but I have no idea nationally.

ZTAngel--
I had never heard that about ZTA--cool. Also, what is a "Themis"?

CutiePie--
I had thought that DG standed for "do good"--cool motto!

I look forward to hearing more
<TT>

Does anyone else have an official scripture? Our is Psalm 15.
Old 10-04-2001, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Yeah they are big but not quite as big I think they are like 6th out of the fraternities with the most members.
Old 10-05-2001, 12:09 AM

Themis is Zeta's patron goddess.
Old 10-05-2001, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Texas Tech's Phi Delts were at one point big. Colby from Survivor 2 was a Phi Delt from Texas Tech!
Old 10-05-2001, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't disclose why the letters Sigma Sigma Sigma were chosen. No one is allowed to know until after initiation.
Old 10-06-2001, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via AIM to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via Yahoo to Katey Alpha Gam
Sorry the meaning of AGD is reserved for initated members!!
Old 10-06-2001, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Pi Beta Phi=secret!
Old 10-06-2001, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TPARose
Quote:
Originally posted by ZTAngel
Themis is Zeta's patron goddess.
Just out of curiousity.. how many of the GLO's have a patron goddess??

We dont have one, but we have a patron saint, St. Catherine of Seina . I guess thats what you get for starting off as a catholic sorority