GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,333
2 members and 1,331 guests
indygphib

Old 07-21-2013, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

How competitive is rushing at Mizzou?

I didn't think it was very competitive, but after reading on here, it sounds like recs are important Will they make a difference?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-21-2013, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

And also, how do I turn rec letters in? When are they due? Thanks so much.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Mizzou has well over 1000 girls going through recruitment each year, and it is fairly competitive. I went into recruitment with recommendation letters to every house, and I had a fairly successful recruitment. HOWEVER, I know many women who went through recruitment with no letters or only a few and still had a very successful recruitment (I will say though, that these women all had very impressive resumes). They definitely will make a difference, and with more girls going through recruitment every year, recommendations are becoming more and more important. I would go ahead and get them for every house that you can.

The women who are writing your recommendations will know how to send them in.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your helpful response
Old 07-21-2013, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzougirl17 View Post
And also, how do I turn rec letters in? When are they due? Thanks so much.
YOU do NOT turn in your rec letters. You contact sorority alumnae and graciously ask them to submit a recommendation for you. We have specific forms and processes to submit recs to our organizations.

Rec letters should have already been submitted for a Fall rush. If you have not asked for them, I guess better late than not at all. GET MOVING!

Missouri is listed here on GC as one of the schools where you absolutely, positively must have recommendations, in order to maximize your chances of getting a bid:

You Must Have Recs If You Are Attending Any Of These Schools:

All SEC schools (no exceptions!): Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss, Miss State, Arkansas, Vandy, LSU, Texas A&M
Big XII: Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Missouri, Texas Christian
ACC: Florida State, Clemson
Pac 10: USC, Arizona
Big 10: Indiana
Southern Methodist
Southern Miss

Last edited by thetalady; 07-21-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Big XII: Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Missouri, Texas Christian

On an unrelated to rush note (I just was casually trying to figure out who in the Big XII didn't need recs):

The Big XII has ten teams and the Big 10 has 12 teams.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

If it's you rushing, it's competitive.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
YOU do NOT turn in your rec letters. You contact sorority alumnae and graciously ask them to submit a recommendation for you. We have specific forms and processes to submit recs to our organizations.

Rec letters should have already been submitted for a Fall rush. If you have not asked for them, I guess better late than not at all. GET MOVING!

Missouri is listed here on GC as one of the schools where you absolutely, positively must have recommendations, in order to maximize your chances of getting a bid:

You Must Have Recs If You Are Attending Any Of These Schools:

All SEC schools (no exceptions!): Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss, Miss State, Arkansas, Vandy, LSU, Texas A&M
ACC: Florida State, Clemson
Pac 10: USC, Arizona
Southern Methodist
Southern Miss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
On an unrelated to rush note (I just was casually trying to figure out who in the Big XII didn't need recs):

FYI: Mizzou joined the SEC last year.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 07-21-2013, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

Yes! The Big 10 has 12 teams and will have 14 teams the year after. smh
Old 07-21-2013, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Who's supposed to be added next? I was a fan of the Nebraska add, but Penn State still makes no sense to me. The only other ones geographically and population-wise that make ANY sense are KU, K-State and Mizzou, and fine, Iowa State. I don't see KU KSU or Mizzou making that move. But I guess geography doesn't play a role any more, so I suppose it could be anyone.

ETA/never mind. Found it - Maryland and Rutgers.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post

ETA/never mind. Found it - Maryland and Rutgers.
Underwhelming, huh? No offense to any M or R alumni here, but neither one is a good fit for the Big Ten. I have yet to meet anyone who is excited about these additions.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Who's supposed to be added next? I was a fan of the Nebraska add, but Penn State still makes no sense to me.
Penn State/State College =/= Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. PSU/SC = Nebraska.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
Underwhelming, huh? No offense to any M or R alumni here, but neither one is a good fit for the Big Ten. I have yet to meet anyone who is excited about these additions.
My understanding is that it's all about TV rights. The Big 10 -- the conference that really, really can't count -- is positively printing money with its TV network, but wants more eyeballs on their games in the NYC and DC markets. Thus, Maryland and Rutgers have volunteered to be mid-September snacks for the big boys in exchange for a piece of that pie.

I am pleased about this ONLY because it means I'll get to go to at least one Michigan game every other year without getting on a plane to do it (my dad and I always go to a game every year).
Old 07-23-2013, 07:21 AM
GreekChat Member

The Big 10 and the Pac 10 and whatever all had that number of teams previously. They have made a decision NOT to change the names even though they have fewer/more teams. They feel it is an "identity" they have built and don't want to change. That's their right - whether it makes any sense to the rest of us.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I have no issue with the conferences with now-inaccurate names not changing their names. They are brands and corporations; the name is not the important thing. Perhaps a little short-sighted of them to have chosen a number-based name in the first place lo those many years ago, but **shrug** that's what we've got to work with now. I mean, the Big East is moving away from the East, and the Big 10 no longer has 10 teams. I can see how we got here, even if it looks a little odd now.

I just am not thrilled about them letting in schools that don't really suit the identity of the conference; and doing it for financial reasons, not reasons of conference reputation. (Thankfully Maryland and Rutgers are both good academic schools.)

But I did not study broadcast journalism, business, or sports management; I suppose this is not my area of expertise.