GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 925
2 members and 923 guests
chi-o_cat, indygphib

Old 05-28-2002, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TaraHopeful
"Legally Blonde" Rush quote

Hey girls, i have a question for all who can answer (honestly). I bought Legally Blonde recently (i love that movie so much) and around the 2nd time through i noticed that when at Vivian's hoity-toity party that lesbian chick made a crack at Elle. In response to the girl, Elle siad "you know, if you had gone to a rush party, i would have at least been nice to you". If people are really that fake at rush parties and pretend to like you when they don't, what's the point of even rushing? I know that i'm basing my opinions on a movie, but it still makes me wonder? What's the deal? Thanx chicas!
~Tara~
Old 05-28-2002, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Tara,

Just about every girl in every chapter is going to do her best to make you feel comfortable while you're visiting during Rush. So, yes, in a way the Elle's comment is correct (I haven't seen the movie, though, so I don't know what context the comment came in.) However, that doesn't mean that all of the sisters are just pretending to like you.

The sisters will be polite and pleasant even if a rushee is ill-mannered and rude to them -- if only because being rude to a rushee is just not done.

I'm sure when you go to the parties you'll be able to tell when someone is being "fake" and when someone genuinely is excited to speak with you. I was definitely able to tell who was putting on an act and who wasn't when I went through -- and that's why choosing DZ was so easy for me. The girls were genuine and it showed at every party. I fit in with them and I felt like I could be myself around them.

When you go through Rush, more than likely you'll experience that same sort of feeling between you and the girls at a particular house. It's hard to put into words, but I just knew that I belonged at DZ. Other girls on GC have stated that they just knew that they belonged at their GLO... It's difficult to explain what I mean, but I honestly think you'll recognize it when you see it -- and you may see it at several houses, not just one.

There may be 3 or 4 houses on your campus that you would fit in well with, so if you don't get your "top" choice, don't quit -- give the other houses a chance to impress you as well. Many times, a rushee will discover that she is a flexible person who can find her home in more than one place.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
"If next to me is all that you need to be, would you settle for fantasy if it's the best you could do? Can I have my cake, can I have you too? Would you follow me, could I ask you to? Would the world between us break these ties we've worked so hard to realize? Can a postcard say what I see in your eyes? Could I ever break away?"
~ John Mayer

BrownEyedGirl-

I LOVE John Mayer!! (and before half of the yahoo's in my town did... lol) Hes coming to Pittsburgh in July!!

Sorry this was off topic!

luvnstuff Alison
Old 05-29-2002, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I think that it's important to note that Legally Blonde is a spoof on sorority and law school life (i.e., not reality). A large portion of the movie is dedicated to making fun of the stereotypes that people place on women in sororities and women in law school. As a sorority girl and lawyer, I greatly appreciated the humor in the film but recognize that people who don't know much about either world might not understand that it is a spoof.

Last edited by bruinaphi; 05-29-2002 at 02:59 AM.
Old 05-29-2002, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kristiAZD
An important thing to remember when consulting movies about issues facing you in real life......movies are there to entertain and sell tickets. Sterotypes sell tickets. I personally loved the movie, and perhaps being a real-life sorority girl helped me appriciate it. But being fake is a stereotype of soroity girls, just like sorority girls are supposedly "sluts," "rich," and "dumb." I don't fit any of those, and I don't think there's a greek member on these boards who does. The ladies above all made excellent points. I had my picks down to two, and when I sat down and thought about it, I realized that the girls in the sorority I didn't end up joining were nice to me, but I didn't get the feeling they were just like me. I felt like they fed into that stereotype. But when I thought about Alpha Xi Delta, I realized how much those girls were like me and were really interested in what I had to say. We had things in common and it felt so natural to hang out with them. That's how I knew that's where I was supposed to be. You will know. Some chapters may act fake, but the one for you will be the one where you realize that you click with all of those girls. Good luck in your recruitment experience, I hope this helps!
Old 05-29-2002, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I LOVE the movie too and own it!

I think it was a cute movie that poked fun at both, but did it light heartedly(is that a word!).

Anyway, not all recruitments are fake. I think a good impression would want to be had by all and you are cordial to everyone, even if she is bashing a group, or even your group...you still put on a good face and kill them with kindness. Just b/c you may not get along with a PNM wouldn't give you the go ahead to be mean to them, you should be nice across the board and just b/c your nice doesn't mean anything, you can tell when a rusher really is interested.
Old 05-29-2002, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to thetakates
I think everyone is making good points here. I would have to agree that making a potential new member feel welcome is a number one goal of the sorority, but more than likely these girls are being generally nice. I love to meet new girls that are potentials coming through and I am a generally nice person, but not to the fake point. I think most of us can tell when a person is being fake. And you will have this is Rush parties too. I have had these feelings about some of the girls that i met while rushing and you just have to find out where you are most comfortable. But overall taht movie goes way over lines that are not really true of Greek life!!!

I hope ths gives you more insight and makes you feel more comfortable with what you have seen.
Old 05-29-2002, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Just think of a job interview ... the sister is doing the interviewing, and the rushee is the job applicant. Just as an HR rep wouldn't be mean to a applicant (unless she was terrible at her job), neither would a sister be rude during rush. Yet the job applicant/rushee still has a sense of "how she's doing."
Old 05-30-2002, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Excellent point, FuzzieAlum!
Old 05-31-2002, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TaraHopeful
Thanx girls. All of your posts helped me in some way. FuzzieAlum...i totally get what you're saying. Thanks again!
Old 05-31-2002, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the main point Elle is trying to make by saying that to Enid is "I would be nice to you and not judge you by a stereotype". If I recall correctly.. .(and I have seen Legally Blonde many times) Enid makes an assumption that Elle, being a sorority girl, is a) stupid, and b) is homophobic. Elle is just saying if you had tried to be a part of my world.. (as I"m trying to be a part of your world now) I would've given you a chance before making hasty assumptions.

Last edited by Glitter650; 05-31-2002 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-31-2002, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I actually know a lot of girls that rushed because of that movie. The realized it was a movie, and not 100% what real sorority life was like but they wanted -the pretty house, the best friends, the support (not only do her friends rush to her side when she gets dumped, they help her study, and go to her first trial!), and if all else fails go get a manicure!
Old 05-31-2002, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I saw the movie awhile ago when it was in the theaters. All this talk about it prompted me to rent it tonight and watch it again!!!
Old 06-01-2002, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Glitter650 makes yet another excellent point! Way to go on everyone thinking deeply lately! My brain is full of so much mush I can't seem to write what I'm really thinking in my head but the rest of you are making up for that!
Old 06-01-2002, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaKappaKelly
Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedGirl
Tara, I love that movie too so forgive me for having a little too much insight into a silly chick flick! I think what she's really saying is not that rush parties are fake, but rather that if Enid (the other character's name) had come into *Elle's* world (a rush party), Elle would have made a genuine effort to welcome her. Instead, Elle is in a library at Harvard, where *Enid* feels very at home. And Enid is still making fun of Elle and going out of her way to be rude.

If anything, Elle is making the point that recruitment parties aren't as shallow as some people may think, and that it's important to be friendly and accepting of people, whether you plan to join their sorority or not. I promise that recruitment parties are not, in and of themselves, fake. It's a great way to meet people you wouldn't ordinarily have the opportunity to make friends with, and to decide if Greek life (and which sorority in particular) is right for you. I hope you don't let a quote from a movie pursuade you not to look into sorority rush!
I LOVE the movie too! and You make such a GREAT point! Good job!!!