GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,555
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annetausasdy968
» Online Users: 2,389
4 members and 2,385 guests
g41965, zashlyjnr1453

Old 08-01-2001, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Question Symbol?

Hey girls, this is kinda a dumb question since I think the answer is probably no, but has AGD ever had a symbol (i.e.: anchor, torch, quill). I've noticed that quite a few sororities have a jewel, mascot, AND symbol, so I wondered if we ever had a symbol?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-01-2001, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

That's a really good question. I don't think there ever has been a paticular symbol...if there was, its not in my Quarterly. As far as I know, the pearl is our jewel and Skiouros is our mascot. Whenever I see anything 'symbol' like--i.e. a keychain, magnet, etc., its always in the shape of a squirrel.

PS: There is NO such thing as a dumb question!

Old 08-01-2001, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via AIM to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via Yahoo to Katey Alpha Gam
Well, even tho there may have never been one, if you could choose a symbol for us, what kind of symbol do you think would best represent the way you feel about AGD?? I think a Sun would be a really good symbol b/c we are always bright and cheery but also powerful and we shine the beauty of AGD on all we see. What do you think would be a good symbol?

------------------
Katey, ZA chapter of AGD
"Could I have been anyone other than me?"-Dave Matthews
Old 08-01-2001, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Okay girls, don't laugh at me, but this is the first thing that popped into my head: an acorn.

At first , I thought it was good because its along the same theme as Skiouros and our 'autumn tints.' I also liked it because the acorn grows into a tree, which is strong but still shelters everyone underneath it.

But then I did a quick yahoo search on the symbolism behind the acorn. It symbolizes: authority, victory, and maturity. In ancient Celtic times it was the ultimate symbol of potential, fertility and immortality.

Pretty cool, huh?
Old 08-01-2001, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

I always thought that the mascot was like a symbol. So, i've always thought it was the squirrel! But, I'd be curious to know if we had a symbol and a mascot. I think most GLOs have one or the other...good question though, Leslie!

Emily
Old 08-02-2001, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via AIM to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via Yahoo to Katey Alpha Gam
Wouldn't it be cool if somehow through this thread we got a symbol?? Think of it, we would be a major part of AGD history and prolly the first org to make a major decision online!!! Just a silly thought!!

------------------
Katey, ZA chapter of AGD
"Could I have been anyone other than me?"-Dave Matthews
Old 08-02-2001, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Katey Alpha Gam:
Wouldn't it be cool if somehow through this thread we got a symbol?? Think of it, we would be a major part of AGD history and prolly the first org to make a major decision online!!! Just a silly thought!!

Okay ladies! Start hunting for acorns!!! I don't see why we can't start using a symbol at the local level. Remember that Skiouros started with Gamma chapter and spread from there. If they could do it so can we!
Old 08-02-2001, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JenAGD Send a message via Yahoo to JenAGD
I absolutely love the idea of the acorn as our symbol. I think it ties in our jewel, the pearl, with our mascot, Skiourous, nicely. Think of the symbolism of the pearl, how it starts out as a grain of sand & then becomes something strong and beautiful over time. I am definitely going to start implementing acorns now, too! Good idea, Girls!!
Old 08-02-2001, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know. Maybe we could ask someone at IHQ about what the process would be for that. I know that Sigma Kappa made the heart and the dove their official symbols only within the last 10 or 15 years. I believe that they passed it at their convention.

I think the best bet is to start using the symbol at the chapter level on an 'unofficial' basis. Spread the word to all the chapters and start using it! Hopefully the chapters would be using the symbol extensively by 2004. The legislation making it an official symbol could be then passed at the Centennial Convention. It has almost a perfect sense of timing to it. We could call it "A New Symbol For A New Century"

LOL, what do you girls think?
Old 08-02-2001, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I think thats a great idea to use the acorn as a symbol at the local level. Also, i never knew the acorn had so many meanings--I thought it was just a nut that grows on trees for squirrels to eat! Boy, was i ever wrong!
Old 08-02-2001, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Oooh, oooh! Just found a really good slogan for everyone looking for Bid Day shirts!

"From little acorns, mighty oaks grow"
Alpha Gamma Delta
Bid Day Fall 2001

You could put the image of an acorn on the front pocket of the T-shirt. LOL, I have WAY too much time on my hands!
Old 08-02-2001, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Awesome Gals! You have come up with a great symbol idea. I am sure all the sisters at ZU with love the idea too. I just went to an art show this past weekend and saw a box with an acorn on it, and was thinking of getting for my badge. Now I wish I did! Go figure!

Kristen

------------------
"Character is who you are in the dark when no one but God is watching"
-Anonymous
Old 08-03-2001, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

About the FEATHER...I looked it up to see it's symbolism and this is what I got: The feather can mean soul/heart, charity, faith and justice. Three feathers often represents power, divinity, and Light. Well, I was just curious and I thought I would throw that out at y'all. And here's one I kinda like as a symbol...a bridge...I know it sounds kind of weird, but it stands for communications and union/unity...kind of like sisterhood. =) But I like the acorn meaning too. =)

------------------
Whitney
Old 08-03-2001, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Girls, all of these ideas are great: suns, bridges, feathers, acorns. Our sorority experience is what we make of it! If you want something, then go for it. Its up to you to make things happen!

Old 08-04-2001, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Awesome, Leslie! I'm going to check it right now!