GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,660
1 members and 1,659 guests
annetaedarky158

Old 05-23-2005, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Partnerincrime
adpiucf- How did your group go about the PX initiation? That sounds really interesting!

Also, how did you go about contacting UCLA about the ropes course? Did you just call their office?

Thanks for all of your help!
Hi there Partnerincrime,

For the PX initiation, the Panhellenic Exec got their heads together and wrote a ceremony. It's not a real sorority ritual, but you could tell it was influenced by their sorority experiences!

They used a candle lighting ceremony, and a central altar table where we pledged our allegiance to Panhellenic over the Panhellenic Creed and swore to uphold our responsibilties as counselors. We were pinned with homemade black and gold pins (our school colors are black and gold).

I think one of the nice things about doing this is that it gave Pan Exec an opportunity to reflect on their ritual and a chance to work together on creating a ceremony to use for PX.

It also made PX feel like a special experience, its own organization where members of the different sororities came together for a new kind of sisterhood, where we pledged to educate the PNMS and serve as their objective guide through sorority recruitment.

And yes, if you google UCLA ropes course, you should get a contact. I always recommend calling and talking to a live person to get all your questions answered. Usually in the course of a conversation questions will come up that you may have not even thought to ask through email! It is perfectly ok to email. I think the people at UCLA are excellent about checking their email and voicemail-- you are a potential paying customer, after all!

If you're unable to do the ropes course, why not do a cook out at the beach? You can do plenty of getting to know you games, and your office of Greek Life or the Office of Student Orientation is bound to have books of ice breaker games.

ETA: I think it is important to add that the description of the PX ceremony for UCF that was done in 1999 (and very likely changes each year!) above is not any kind of national or local sorority ritual, and it isn't breaking any kind of code or confidence to talk about it.

Last edited by adpiucf; 05-23-2005 at 02:15 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-24-2005, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I've done some research on the ropes courses, and unfortunately, it looks like most of them will be beyond my budget. I suppose I will just have to stick to broom ball or something unless there are any other ideas?
Old 05-24-2005, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

adpiucf- Thanks for taking the time to share that! That sounds really neat, and I think I'll see if the rest of my eboard is interested in it.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:25 PM
ADPiZXalum

Quote:
Originally posted by Partnerincrime
adpiucf- How did your group go about the PX initiation? That sounds really interesting!

Also, how did you go about contacting UCLA about the ropes course? Did you just call their office?

Thanks for all of your help!
UCLA challenge course information

Just gotta know where to look.....
Old 05-24-2005, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a bit confused. If that's located in UCLA, then that's perfect for me. I know there was another option, but it was about 2 hours away from where I'm located, which would be asking a bit much of my girls. So I'm not sure if this is the same thing or not.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:01 AM
ADPiZXalum

That information is from the UCLA website, campus recreation/outdoor adventure stuff. Give them a call.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's another recommendation if the ropes course is out of budget--

Are you familiar with the South Bay area of LA? There are tons of Masonic lodges along PCH right in Redondo Beach, and I'm sure that for a very small fee you could rent out a space that's right on the beach for a few hours or even for a sleep over where everyone brings her own sleeping bag!

You can hold team bonding games right on the beach, and maybe cap off the evening singing a song and doing a candlelighting ceremony on the beach.

ETA-- that ropes course is located on the main UCLA campus in Westwood (Los Angeles).

Last edited by adpiucf; 05-25-2005 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Partnerincrime----I emailed ya!
Old 05-26-2005, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry for being MIA. I've had a lot going on with school and work. Regardless, I got your email emleepc. Thank you SOOO much! There are definitely some things I can use in there.

As for the ropes course, I called UCLA, and am waiting to hear back. I will update once I get a price estimate. I'm also thinking of icebreakers/fun activities as well, so if any of you know any good ones, let me know. Thanks for the help!