GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,464
1 members and 1,463 guests
naraht

Old 08-28-2017, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorority Recruitment Transfer

Hi everyone,
I rushed a sorority my freshman year of college (spring recruitment. I rushed in January and was initiated in February). I transferred schools that following semester. I'm now a junior in college. At my new school, I've joined multiple clubs and organizations and have reached out to many people, and while I am friendly with students, I am really, really looking for a group of friends and a Greek community to contribute to (like what I experienced the spring of my freshman year). I'm pretty desperate for more friends. The sorority I am a member of is NOT on my current campus. I know that according to to NPC rules, once you are a member of a NPC sorority, you are never allowed to rush again. However, I really want to make new friends and am worried I'll graduate without a great network of girls. Greek Life is fairly popular at my school, and I've asked the Director of Greek Life/ NPC Nationals/ Panhellenic Board, but I've heard that membership for life is really strict. Is there any way to get around this? Would I get caught if I rushed a new sorority?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 08-28-2017, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfury44 View Post
Hi everyone,
I rushed a sorority my freshman year of college (spring recruitment. I rushed in January and was initiated in February). I transferred schools that following semester. I'm now a junior in college. At my new school, I've joined multiple clubs and organizations and have reached out to many people, and while I am friendly with students, I am really, really looking for a group of friends and a Greek community to contribute to (like what I experienced the spring of my freshman year). I'm pretty desperate for more friends. The sorority I am a member of is NOT on my current campus. I know that according to to NPC rules, once you are a member of a NPC sorority, you are never allowed to rush again. However, I really want to make new friends and am worried I'll graduate without a great network of girls. Greek Life is fairly popular at my school, and I've asked the Director of Greek Life/ NPC Nationals/ Panhellenic Board, but I've heard that membership for life is really strict. Is there any way to get around this? Would I get caught if I rushed a new sorority?
No, there is no way to get around this rule. Yes, if you try, you will be caught.

How sad that your membership and pledge to your sorority means so little to you.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hi everyone,
I rushed a sorority my freshman year of college (spring recruitment. I rushed in January and was initiated in February). I transferred schools that following semester. I'm now a junior in college. At my new school, I've joined multiple clubs and organizations and have reached out to many people, and while I am friendly with students, I am really, really looking for a group of friends and a Greek community to contribute to (like what I experienced the spring of my freshman year). I'm pretty desperate for more friends. The sorority I am a member of is NOT on my current campus. I know that according to to NPC rules, once you are a member of a NPC sorority, you are never allowed to rush again. However, I really want to make new friends and am worried I'll graduate without a great network of girls. Greek Life is fairly popular at my school, and I've asked the Director of Greek Life/ NPC Nationals/ Panhellenic Board, but I've heard that membership for life is really strict. Is there any way to get around this? NO Would I get caught if I rushed a new sorority? YES
I empathize with your situation, but unfortunately there are no special exceptions.

There is a campus (I want to say Boise State?) that has a special co-ed group for fraternity and sorority member transfer students in the same situation. They join in for Greek Week and they have recognized student group status. I've always thought that's a great idea, and I wish more campuses would do this. Perhaps you could try to get something like that going?
Old 08-28-2017, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Why do we keep getting this question??? Since you are technically an alumna of yourgroup, have you contacted the alum group in the town to see about joining it?
Old 08-28-2017, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
There is a campus (I want to say Boise State?) that has a special co-ed group for fraternity and sorority member transfer students in the same situation. They join in for Greek Week and they have recognized student group status. I've always thought that's a great idea, and I wish more campuses would do this. Perhaps you could try to get something like that going?
It used to be fairly common; they'd do mixers, too. Not sure why it's not as common anymore. Risk management maybe?
Old 08-28-2017, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

That could be issue, you're right.

My son's FIJI chapter did a combo event/concert fundraiser with Sinfonia this past winter, BTW. He said there are a couple guys who are members of both groups -- they had to get by-laws exemption approval. is that possible? Because I don't trust my son as an "expert authority" on this question.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Possible to be a member of both fraternities? Yes, generally speaking. Our prohibition is on being a member of another "secret national fraternal society in music." And since we're not a member of the NIC, there generally isn't a problem on the NIC fraternity's side. That said, there could be fraternity-specific prohibitions. Maybe FIJI's bylaws required a waiver or something?

The exception would be on those campuses where the Sinfonia chapter is a member of the IFC. In those cases, dual membership might be prohibited, or prohibited unless some kind of waiver is obtained. There are also campuses where the campus or chapter culture frowns on it.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:11 PM

Have you stayed in touch with any of these girls from your freshman year that meant so much to you? Have you thought about how they would feel if you all of a sudden popped up on Facebook with a different set of Greek letters on your shirt?

I feel like this new school maybe wasn't the best fit for you, despite joining a bunch of orgs Marcia Brady-style, and you are thinking active sorority membership would fix that.

Another thing to consider: even if you were allowed to go through rush, if this is a school with a booming Greek life, your choices as a junior would most likely be quite limited.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I would also like to point out that I loved the girls who were members of my sorority, but I was actively involved in the organization for three months. I am grateful for the experience and am not intending to be disloyal, just wanted to see what my options would be
Old 08-28-2017, 11:22 PM

Reiterating what others have said: No, once you have been initiated into an NPC sorority, you can never join another. Yes, you will be caught if you try. It is my understanding that, if you do somehow manage to slip through the cracks, you will be forced to deaffiliate from both sororities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
There is a campus (I want to say Boise State?) that has a special co-ed group for fraternity and sorority member transfer students in the same situation. They join in for Greek Week and they have recognized student group status.
That is a really awesome idea!
Old 08-29-2017, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I would also like to point out that I loved the girls who were members of my sorority, but I was actively involved in the organization for three months. I am grateful for the experience and am not intending to be disloyal, just wanted to see what my options would be
You are bound to your NPC sorority for life because you were initiated.

Yes, if you attempt to go through rush at your new school, you will be found out sooner than later. It's a small world and social media makes it even smaller. Just don't.

You have a couple of options:
1. Look up your sorority's alumnae group that is closest to your new school and get involved with them.

2. Find out what the most social women's groups are on campus and try out / sign up for those. Hopefully that will provide the female friendships and social events you are probably craving from a sorority.

3. Depending on your campus, you may be able to join another non-NPC sorority. My college had several Christian sororities and a women's service sorority that each had a handful of NPC women as members of both.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hi everyone,
You mention joining many, many orgs where you are, and yet it appears you are not finding enough close, true friends. Friendship isn't about quantity, it's quality. No one joins a sorority with 150 other young women in her pledge class to make best friends with every single one of those 150 new members.

Slow down your rush to join even more orgs and take time to enjoy closer friendships with people you already know. This should include members of an alumnae group of your sorority.

As you have found out, having 200 friendly acquaintances after joining multiple clubs means nothing if none of them are true close friends who will accept your midnight phone call after your sudden car accident.