GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,219
0 members and 2,219 guests
No Members online

Old 09-27-2005, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

AEPi Toronto: “the largest party-throwing group on campus”

Frat boys more than just party animals

By SHERI SHEFA
Staff Reporter

Fraternities often conjure an image of beer-guzzling, womanizing college-age boys who want nothing more to worry about but where the next kegger is going to be.

But Kobi Gulersen, a fourth-year biology student at the University of Toronto who is the vice-president of its Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity, has worked hard to change that image.

Although AEPi is known as “the largest party-throwing group on campus,” getting drunk and meeting girls is low on the priority list for Toronto’s 80 members.

Each year, AEPi International chooses a charity to which each chapter has to make an effort to contribute, Gulersen said. One year they raised money for the Ethiopian Jews in Israel and another year for Magen David Adom.

Some chapters, he added, like U of T’s Tau Omega, go above and beyond the minimum and choose to raise money for local charities as well.

In the past, Tau Omega raised money for the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation, the Sick Kids Foundation and the Canadian Red Cross.

“I would argue our frat has changed the image of fraternities across campus. We are unofficially known as the ‘Jewish frat that throws good parties,’ but besides that we raise a lot of money for charities and we have a great time putting on the parties,” he said.

He added that because the university doesn’t recognize fraternities on campus, all of the funding comes from internal sources and sponsors such as Juicy Couture, Virgin Music and Capitol Records.

It costs nearly $5,000 to throw a party, he said. Every penny they profit goes to a charity of their choice.

Last year, they were able to raise $7,000 for the Diabetes Hope Foundation and create a scholarship for students struggling with the financial burden of treating diabetes.

Gulersen said the Diabetes Hope Foundation is meant to assist students who must pay about $2,000 a year for the proper equipment needed to treat the disease.

Last year, the Alpha Epsilon Pi 2005 scholarship, which ranges between $2,500 and $3,500, was awarded to Kale Boehmer, who was one of 31 recipients.

Gulersen hopes that with some of the proceeds left over from last year’s fundraiser, coupled with what he hopes to raise this year, AEPi will be able to create more Diabetes Hope Foundation scholarships.

Gulersen said that aside from it being a great cause, the people at the foundation are great to work with.

“We chose to support the Diabetes Hope Foundation because they have the lowest administrative costs at 20 per cent. Many charities take about 40 or 50 per cent.”

Gulersen hopes the event, “Legacy,” which will be held at Level Nightclub in downtown Toronto on Sept. 22, will draw a capacity crowd of about 1,500 people from York University, Ryerson University and, of course, U of T.

“This is the first event of the year. The kickoff event. Because no one has a lot of work to do yet, we expect a lot of people to come out,” he said.

“It’s a fun way to usher in the new year and it’s for a great charity.”

“I do this all because I love to do it. I love the idea of throwing these large- scale events that have never been done. The corporations are happy because they get huge exposure, the clubs are happy because they are making money, the charities are happy because we are contributing to their cause and everyone that comes out is happy because they get to attend an amazing party.”
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-27-2005, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

good for them....
Old 09-28-2005, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
woo! Diabetes scholarships eh? I like these boys
Old 09-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Banned

Hot like that.

-Rudey
Old 09-28-2005, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Hoosier where did you get this story?

I'd love to get my hands on the source, because any positive article about GLOs up here is gold.

Also I'd to find out a little more about the article (edited or not) because it was exactly clear whether they were talking about events organized and run by only the UofT AEPi's; or the joint three chapter events they throw.

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old 09-28-2005, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.cjnews.com/viewarticle.asp?id=7349
Old 09-28-2005, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

RACooper-
this is the 1st i've heard of AEPi EVER even throwing a party, charity related or otherwise; they certainly didn't when i was an active which wasn't that long ago.
it is good PR for our campus though.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
One thing stuck out to me. If he refers to his fraternity as a frat, I wonderwhat he calls his country? Hmmmm.....
Old 09-28-2005, 06:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by JonInKC
One thing stuck out to me. If he refers to his fraternity as a frat, I wonderwhat he calls his country? Hmmmm.....
Count?

-Rudey
--Sometimes I refer to the Knickerbockers as the Knicks.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JonInKC
Can we get over that saying? It's horrible and everytime it's used it makes the "fraternity" man look like a frat boy. If you don't want to be referred to as a frat don't say juvenile things like the country example.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Quote:
Originally posted by AAgammagirl
RACooper-
this is the 1st i've heard of AEPi EVER even throwing a party, charity related or otherwise; they certainly didn't when i was an active which wasn't that long ago.
it is good PR for our campus though.
I'm not suprised because even three years ago the AEPi was basically a party at one of the guys apartments - BUT - there has been a serious turn around taken by the guys when it comes to planning and promoting the events.

Professionally done cards and tickets, events at higher end clubs (not Tonic or the like), and of course the special consideration for the sororities...

Ask some of the girls about some of the more rescent parties - the AEPi's sent limos to pick them up at the house to bring them down to the club (instead of the girls cabbing it), and having some limos around the ending of the night to drive the girls back to the house.

"Cave ab homine unius libri"