GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 942
0 members and 942 guests
No Members online

Old 11-08-2011, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow...so not responsible. Does this woman (or "Jim Bob" for that matter) ever think about what will happen to these 19 existing kids if she dies on the table?!? Considering alllllll the problems with #19's birth it's a very distinct possibility. The child may have severe physical or mental problems, or both. I just don't get it. Enjoy the children you have instead of trying to prove some point about numbers. You've been blessed 19 times when some people can never have one child. Why push the envelope? It's not TV to this little being who may have to come into the world prematurely and spend his or her life with a litany of complications!
Old 11-08-2011, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
Wow...so not responsible. Does this woman (or "Jim Bob" for that matter) ever think about what will happen to these 19 existing kids if she dies on the table?!? Considering alllllll the problems with #19's birth it's a very distinct possibility.
"Jim Bob" would probably be remarried within 6 months to another 20 year old in the Quiverfull movement, ready to start all over...

I don't dislike the Duggars the way that some people do; in fact I kind of like them, but this is too much. Michelle almost died. Josie almost died. That is G-d's sign not to get pregnant again!
Old 11-08-2011, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
I don't dislike the Duggars the way that some people do; in fact I kind of like them, but this is too much. Michelle almost died. Josie almost died. That is G-d's sign not to get pregnant again!
This. So much.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

It blows my mind that her uterus would be even capable of carrying another baby to full term, and that she doesn't have to roll it up and tuck it back in every morning. That being said, I really hope that she carries the baby to term without any complications or life-altering issues. And then retires from the babymaking business.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

My lady parts hurt just thinking about it!
Old 11-09-2011, 03:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbymidwest View Post
It blows my mind that her uterus would be even capable of carrying another baby to full term, and that she doesn't have to roll it up and tuck it back in every morning. That being said, I really hope that she carries the baby to term without any complications or life-altering issues. And then retires from the babymaking business.
I don't know...there are of course women who have had 30, 40, 50 and 60+ children, so it's not that far beyond comprehension. My great-great-great grandparents had 14 children and large families had been pretty common through the mid-20th century.

On the other hand, I'd say Michelle is lucky not to be facing a prolapsed uterus at this point in her life though she's still relatively young.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
I don't know...there are of course women who have had 30, 40, 50 and 60+ children, so it's not that far beyond comprehension. My great-great-great grandparents had 14 children and large families had been pretty common through the mid-20th century.

On the other hand, I'd say Michelle is lucky not to be facing a prolapsed uterus at this point in her life though she's still relatively young.
60+ children? I'm trying to do the math on this... barring multiple births, you'd have to be pretty much constantly pregnant from menarche through menopause...

By giving birth to baby #20, Michelle is putting her own life and that of baby #20 in jeopardy - look at Josie. I get that they've chosen to have lots of children, but enough is enough already.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.salon.com/2011/11/09/stop...g_the_duggars/

What I've thought for some time - if you want to call yourself pro-choice, might I suggest you recognize that it is hypocritical to say you will support a woman not having a child, but that you do not support a woman who chooses to have a number you deem too many. Can the Duggars support them? Apparently. Are they loved, taken care of, provided for? Yes. Save your scorn and disdain for those who have children - however many - and do not provide for them, or who abuse them. To paraphrase - if you don't like the idea of having 20 children, don't have 20 children.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post

What I've thought for some time - if you want to call yourself pro-choice, might I suggest you recognize that it is hypocritical to say you will support a woman not having a child, but that you do not support a woman who chooses to have a number you deem too many. Can the Duggars support them? Apparently. Are they loved, taken care of, provided for? Yes. Save your scorn and disdain for those who have children - however many - and do not provide for them, or who abuse them. To paraphrase - if you don't like the idea of having 20 children, don't have 20 children.
Well said. This is what I've been thinking as I read through this, but I didn't know how to say correctly. Do I want to have as many children as my ovaries/uterus would allow? No. I can't afford them and I can't care for them properly. Can the Duggars? Seems so. Can I see myself ever having an abortion? No, probably not. Is it an OK choice for others? Yes. BUT - in both cases - the choice is there for me or for others to make.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
if you want to call yourself pro-choice, might I suggest you recognize that it is hypocritical to say you will support a woman not having a child, but that you do not support a woman who chooses to have a number you deem too many. Can the Duggars support them? Apparently. Are they loved, taken care of, provided for? Yes. Save your scorn and disdain for those who have children - however many - and do not provide for them, or who abuse them. To paraphrase - if you don't like the idea of having 20 children, don't have 20 children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I see nothing hypocritical about pro-choicers commenting on someone having so many children after having such difficulty with child #19 and being advised by a doctor (is that correct?) not to have another child after #19.
I agree. If the Duggars can support 20 children (well, 19 - Josh has left home) then good for them. My concern is about the health of Mrs. Duggar and baby #20, especially given what happened with Josie. If she dies in childbirth, she will be leaving her children (some of whom are very young) without a mother.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

aephi_alum - I agree
Old 11-10-2011, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Michelle almost died. Josie almost died. That is G-d's sign not to get pregnant again!
Oh, c'mon. It's fine if you think she shouldn't get pregnant again, but you can't possibly know that the complications surrounding Josie and her birth were a sign from God to refrain from getting pregnant again.

I hope she and the baby stay safe and healthy.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
if you want to call yourself pro-choice, might I suggest you recognize that it is hypocritical to say you will support a woman not having a child, but that you do not support a woman who chooses to have a number you deem too many.
What I support is the government leaving all these decisions up to the individuals involved. Private citizens disapproving of others' choices is fine and dandy -- especially when we're talking about public figures making a living off of those choices. You can disapprove of my personal life all you want, and I can disapprove of the Duggars taking this risk.

It is a fact that they'll make less money if they stop having kids. They might even lose their jobs. Is that a factor at some level? We don't know. Most human beings can't help being influenced by big pots of money, even if they don't realize it.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

But what if she dies on the table? My grandmother died in childbirth of twins (who also died.). They would have been #12 and #13. The eleven (youngest age 2) had to grow up without a mother. They got by but many of my dad's behaviors are from not having a mother through his formative years. His dad died when he was 19. So both parents gone and he was barely an adult. The oldest daughter basically raised the younger kids, which took a lot of sacrifice.

Have kids...have lots of kids...but don't do something that is inherently selfish and potentially life altering for the rest of your children!
Old 11-10-2011, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

To me, if someone's parent puts themselves in a situation where their death is a likely consequence...that's a selfish act- period. She's thinking more about the headlines, proving a point, whatever- she is not thinking of her children and how their lives will be affected should she die. Ok...so she has the kid and doesn't die. It's still selfish because more than likely, the kid will have medical issues which will take time and energy away from the other kids, save nothing of having a kid in the first place that will most likely find himself or herself subject to a lifetime of medical and physical issues. It could all be prevented if they would just use protection. It's like this kid's quality of life is way less important than compromising their principles = selfish.