GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,422
2 members and 1,420 guests
KDKells, Xidelt

Old 11-02-2011, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

How did you choose your major?

There's probably been a thread like this, and there's a chance that a lot of people feel that their major was worthless, but so what? I could use the insight.

I came in as a declared comm major and, even though I love the professor, I'm not really moved by research and social science. I'm going to go undecided for a while, but I'm wondering, what led you to the major you had? How did you make that decision?

Thank you for your input.

MelindaWarren aka Bellatrix Lestrange
Wanna follow me on Pinterest? PM me!
"It is our choices that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."-Albus Dumbledore
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-02-2011, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I actually went in wanting undecided but inclined to do computer graphics. I came to find out after I started school that they didn't have a computer graphics/design major. I was completely confused as to what I should major in.

I talked to my mom and she said I should do computer science. Computer science was on computers and so was computer graphics so it was close to being the same thing. I totally bought her logic at the time and went with it. I know now that they are completely different and have nothing to do with each other except sharing the same hardware.

I really enjoy what I do so I got lucky.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm on my third declared major, and I'm still not completely sold, but I'm graduating in December so I guess I'm stuck with it. LOL

I started college with my declared major my passion, which is music, but after a few bad experiences in the program I became disenchanted and decided to leave it. I often still struggle with that decision and whether or not it was the right thing for me to do. At that point, I decided that I really wanted to study something technical. I've always been a math and science person, and I really missed that while taking only music classes. I switched from music to physics, but I decided I didn't like the faculty and moved to the civil engineering program. I stayed in the CE program because I enjoyed the coursework, like the faculty, and I figured that it was a sensible choice career-wise.

Talk to classmates, talk to professors, and try to take classes from an assortment of areas that you are interested in. Make sure that you pick something that you are truly interested in, and also take the time to think about what you would do with a degree in that area.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:51 AM

I didn't put a ton of thought into my major selection. When I started college at 17, I liked English, thought I wanted to teach high school. So I came in declared HS English Ed (Integrated Language Arts Ed is the technical term.)

About halfway through undergrad, I got WAY into my English courses and was bitten by the "terminal academia" bug. Thought I wanted to get a Doctorate and be a professor. Made the switch from English Ed to just English.

Graduated from undergrad. Had a "what am I going to do with my life?" moment. Decided I wanted a grad degree in a more professional field (not liberal arts.) Liked people and talking to people. Got an M. Ed. in Counseling.

I worked with people with mental health issues for awhile. Including kids and teens. Decided that I liked that aspect. Started working in schools specifically with kids with disabilities (where I work now.) Really liked it. Decided to pursue a 2nd M. Ed. in Special Ed (which thanks to my previous degree is not going to take me forever) at 26 years old.

And looking back, my liberal arts major wasn't worthless. I couldn't go to grad school without it. I can write reports and stuff at work without sounding like a complete moron (can't be said for everyone.) Reading 50 pages per night for school or writing a 10 page paper doesn't freak me out like it does some of the other peeps in my grad program (my senior seminar paper in undergrad is still the longest paper I've ever written at 25 pages.)

All of that to say that your undergrad major doesn't determine what you end up doing for the rest of your life. Very few people I know (at 5 years out of college) are doing something related to their undergrad major. You also never know how your undergrad major may end up benefitting you. Liberal arts degrees give you the background to do a lot of different things (ex: many of my lawyer and law student friends were liberal arts majors.)

Hope this helps you in some way.

Sidenote: typing all of that out makes me feel ancient.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 11-02-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

When I was in high school, I met a speech-language pathologist. I knew that was the career for me. It was that simple. I got to college, dove deeply into the field, also studied linguistics (which I find fascinating, still). Minored in Italian, because I had a huge crush on a professor (who married one of my classmates). I went to their wedding.

The philanthropy for Kappa Alpha Theta was the Institute of Logopedics in Kansas, and I also liked that link to my major. Believe that the Fraternity still supports the Institute in some fashion, although CASA is the primary philanthropy.

Toyed with the idea of law school while still an undergrad. The arrogance of youth: thought I was so smart that I should be a judge. made myself laugh out loud seeing those words in print! In hindsight, I would have been a horrible attorney. Too emotional and impatient. Had the logical/analytical reasoning part down, but that's hardly enough.

Never really strayed from speech, language & hearing sciences. In my field, the entry level degree is a master's, so you pretty much stick with it after spending six years learning to do what we do. I've enjoyed my entire career; it's been so diverse. Worked in all sorts of settings, "from cradle to grave".

The best part of my higher education? The first two years, definitely, taking all the "general education" courses. That's where I learned to think, to read critically, to write a coherent paper. Art history, astronomy, history, biology, philosophy, English; loved those courses, even the huge lectures with 900 seats.

I wish the same for you, that you enjoy your college education and maximize your options.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 11-02-2011, 02:36 AM
GreekChat Member

When I applied to college, I came to the University of Pittsburgh with the intended field of study as Pre-Law, trying to become an Immigration Lawyer. Once I got to Pitt, as a Pre-History major, I realized that I didn't want to go to law school so I decided to take Communication courses and become a History and Communication double major.

After my sophomore year, I stayed in Pittsburgh and became a tour guide for summer sessions. During one of those sessions, we received information about a Business and Arts & Sciences double major. I took to prerequisite classes (forgoing my planned semester abroad) and graduated with a triple major in December 09 (one semester later) and haven't regretted it since.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
I viewed college as a means to an end, as I knew I'd have to go beyond a college education to be competitive. I selected a good base major (English), which left the door open for graduate programs in a number of fields. I ultimately chose a graduate program in nonprofit management as my "career" field.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
I viewed college as a means to an end, as I knew I'd have to go beyond a college education to be competitive. I selected a good base major (English), which left the door open for graduate programs in a number of fields. I ultimately chose a graduate program in nonprofit management as my "career" field.
This is pretty much my opinion on my major (and college majors in general.)

They don't define the direction of your career nearly as much (or at all, really) as grad degrees can.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Darts. Worked out very well.

OK...really...I knew I wanted to do something in health, somewhere. Not really into nursing...maybe not a lab worker, but maybe...didn't think I was smart enough for biology so I took Public Health...and it bored me. I, however, found myself facinated (and smart enough) for the PH science requisites. Out of all the areas, I was most interested in Environmental Health.

Picking my perfcet major, for me, involved transferring schools, but I don't regret it. I got exactly what I wanted- the right major is like a good relationship- it holds your interest. I enjoyed the rest of college and got a job in my chosen field.

So it wasn't exactly darts, literally, but it was honing in on a certain area in a very broad discipline. Taking classes is really the only way to narrow it down. Also, really WHAT is it you would enjoy? I knew I absolutely loved nature and the outdoors, so I wanted to incoprorate that into my job somehow. I knew working in an office all day wasn't for me. I liked labwork, but I didn't want to be stuck in a lab ALL day, every day. I like people, but didn't want to work exclusively with patients all day.

ETA: In this age, we are all a work in progress. Career change is common, as is going back to school for graduate degrees (as others have detailed in this post.) You really don't have to have it all figured out at 19, honestly. I'm a (potential) career changer at 32. I love what I do, but it's very limiting because there's no upward mobility, especially without a PE (engineer) or PG (geologist) license. Those would be attainable for me with additional classes (and some other stuff.) Point being, you kind of pick the general direction undergrad and hone it down when you get into the workforce and see what you really enjoy, or learn more about what specifically is required to move into the direction you choose.

Last edited by *winter*; 11-02-2011 at 05:26 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I chose Psychology, not because I wanted to work as a clinical psychologist but because I find human behavior fascinating. Still do and after undergrad I'm now pursuing a dual Master's degree in Industrial/Organizational psychology and Consumer psychology.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I majored in Journalism, but even then didn't have any real intent at working in it, or newspapers anyway. What I really wanted to do was write the Liner Notes for Rolling Stone magazine between gigs writing literary nonfiction. And what did I become when I grew up? A travel agent, and more recently a lady who lunches. For a while after college I was pretty bitter about how worthless my education was, but I am a true believer in getting a good solid liberal education, particularly if post-grad education is in your plans. I also believe you should major in what you love. If you can't stand the math homework, majoring in something math'y is probably a bad idea even if you think there's a great future in it. Most of my friends couldn't believe how much writing I had to do in college, usually a paper every 3 days. But on the other hand, one semester I didn't have a single text book and did not take a single final test.

If I were going to suggest a field to a college kid these days, I think I'd recommend Nurse Practitioner for someone interested in a medical field, and something computer science'y if you have aptitude there. Every field under the sun uses computers and being the person behind the computers will always be needed.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I almost think it's more important to pick a career and then back track into a major, even one you don't like, than it is to pick a major you are interested in. I was a history major for like a month, and then I decided I needed something practical. I majored in business administration. Outside of statistics and probability (which I geeked out over) I didn't find my classes fascinating, and I made sure to take interesting electives on the side. However, now that I'm out of college (between two-three years out), I am in a job I love more than anything (and I truly mean love) that pays enough for me to live comfortably in an area that is fairly expensive.

In my experience from a class that graduated into the worst economy in some time, all my friends who had business, economics, and engineering majors are employed in jobs they enjoy that pay well. My buddies who knew they wanted to go to law school or med school from day one (and chose good "feeder" majors) are there and doing well. Those who chose majors that may have tickled them academically but with no immediate practical application are working at jobs like hostessing and coaching sports (and that's only after long periods of unemployment). And these are smart, personable guys who graduated from a school that is currently top 25 in the nation.

The point is that I think the days of going to college for purely academic purposes are over. I think you need to be incredibly careful that there is an immediate practical application for your major. It doesn't have to be the career you spend your entire life in, but it does have to be something that can support you for the first three to four years until you get enough work experience that your major becomes irrelevant.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
For a while after college I was pretty bitter about how worthless my education was, but I am a true believer in getting a good solid liberal education, particularly if post-grad education is in your plans.
I wanted to point out to any current undergraduates that a lot of us have gone through something similar. For me, I knew I wasn't going to stop at my bachelor's degree, but I still struggled to find a career path. I didn't truly know what I wanted to do until I was 31.

Quote:
Most of my friends couldn't believe how much writing I had to do in college, usually a paper every 3 days. But on the other hand, one semester I didn't have a single text book and did not take a single final test.
I had a very similar experience. For the non-writing majors, students would have to take a handful of writing-intensive courses to ensure that they could string words together coherently. I had a lot of friends who would think I was exaggerating about the amount of reading and writing I had to do until they took one of the writing-intensive courses. lol Then those same people would be at my door asking for help with their so-called writer's block...yeahhh right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD Alum View Post
The point is that I think the days of going to college for purely academic purposes are over. I think you need to be incredibly careful that there is an immediate practical application for your major. It doesn't have to be the career you spend your entire life in, but it does have to be something that can support you for the first three to four years until you get enough work experience that your major becomes irrelevant.
With precious few exceptions, I'm afraid you're right. At the very least, people who select majors that have very little immediate practical application should know that they're going to need further education in a career-oriented field.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.

Last edited by preciousjeni; 11-02-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I changed majors 13 times. I ended up doing interdisciplinary studies with emphasis in Public Relations, Poli Sci, and History. :-/ I am probably not the best one to answer your questions. My first two years I went back and forth between education/pre-law a lot. But then after that (and some personal losses), I felt lost and just wondered from major to major.. LOL ;-)

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
With precious few exceptions, I'm afraid you're right. At the very least, people who select majors that have very little immediate practical application should know that they're going to need further education in a career-oriented field.
My friend who was trying to get into the non-profit world was astounded by the fact that most of the jobs (at least the ones that paid enough to live in NYC) required a masters in social work or a similar field. The entry level positions required only a bachelors but were under stimulating and paid absolutely nothing. The masters is something she actively wants, but she needs to fund it on her own and her major (from an IVY LEAGUE) isn't getting her any good paying jobs.

It's a different world out there, all current college students need to be aware of this and make sure they are getting the right major and internships/work experience. Your resume should be stacked with immediately transferable skills the second you leave the graduation ceremony, unless you are planning on immediately going to law school, med school, whatever.