GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,459
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, aolviatopz5295
» Online Users: 1,652
0 members and 1,652 guests
No Members online

Old 09-25-2005, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

It is a shame that a very atractive Women of a sorority has a picture posted in a National Magazine and is booted from said soro.

When I read things like this, I think back to the pictures of Founders who may look prune faced and wear period clothing that everyone goes EWWWW about. I guess that many of the mentalities havent changed in @ 100 years.

It just seems that there should be more important prioritys seen to than something like this. I mean "IF" some Women see this and dont think they dont, will say wow, that is a pretty girl in so and so sorority. I think I am interested in joining not to show Her Boobs but to be part of something.

I agree, the many articles, Q and As have a much more meaningful impact than just looking at Naked Bodies. The scenery may be nice, but there is more to these magazines than pictures.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-25-2005, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Tom what if was discovered that a current collegiate member of your fraternity has posed for a spread in a issue of Playgirl? And the letters of Lamba Chi Alpha are listed in print. Are you going to be as sympathetic?

Last edited by wrigley; 09-25-2005 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
Only if you count DGQueen.

Okay, I'm going to hell.
HAHAHAHAHHA. I can't say that I know what many GC DGs look like. I don't really keep track of such things.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
I guess my question to chapters that booted a girl who posed naked....would you boot your art majors who do naked self portraits?
Old 09-25-2005, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wrigley
Tom what if was discovered that a current collegiate member of your fraternity has posed for a spread in a issue of Playgirl? And the letters of Lamba Chi Alpha are listed in print. Are you going to be as sympathetic?
Why Not?

If The Brother is a Stud why not!!! They must have thought that SHe was a Pretty Lady and if a Good Looking LXA was pictured I say so the better. Hell, it gives Young Men something to hook onto. Hey, I want to be a Member and be in the same studnis!

I doubt that they would want a Picture of some NON STUD Like Me. I aint even a PC Nerd!

So Kenney Chesney Married Renee whats Her name and then it was annuled and A lot of accusations were thrown about. That doesnt make Him any less a Member does it?

I would much rather like to see something like this than about a Chapter getting booted for stupidity in Hazing.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-25-2005, 03:39 PM
Banned

Only girls would find a way of taking a compliment and twisting it into something negative.

The girl is beautiful and she's in a great sorority. That's all.

-Rudey
Old 09-25-2005, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Only girls would find a way of taking a compliment and twisting it into something negative.

-Rudey

Rudey, Very Well Stated!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-25-2005, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know...would there be pressure from national HQ's to terminate a Playboy poser's membership? Or would that be largely an individual chapter's initiative? I suppose it feeds into the shocking!sorority girl stereotype and is understandably frowned upon, but that really doesn't make much sense to me. (Neither does terminating membership for pregnancy, though I can understand pushing for early alum status --family takes priority over sorority, after all.)

Either way, I think it's sad to terminate a sister from membership for comforming with society's standards for beauty and glam, and for listening to the media's portrayal of what success is. I mean, Girls Next Door certainly makes being one of three girlfriends to an old man seem fun and exciting. (I'd be personally concerned about his heart giving out during the, er, fun and excitement, but that's just me.)

And really, it must be a great confidence-booster to have a magazine that standardizes the median of desire across the nation tell you you're hot enough to be paid for posing in pictures.

Oh, society. What contradictory messages you bestow.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

I'm going out on a limb here, but I would assume that most NPC sororities has a "morals clause" in whatever it is that you sign as a member. How that clause is interpreted may vary greatly.

I can remember our New Member Educator saying that, before you pose for ANY photo that will include a mention that you are in a sorority, you should think of (our local founder) and how she would react, if she were to see or hear of it. I always took that to mean that a photo of some of the sorority members at Ronald McDonald's House would be good, a photo in Playboy or any other skin magazine, not so good. Anything else I could say about it would involve ritual.

And yes, I read the occasional Playboy, and will go as far as to say, not only for the articles, but the interviews (and jokes!), too.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
I guess my question to chapters that booted a girl who posed naked....would you boot your art majors who do naked self portraits?
It's all about context.

One thing I try to remember is that 'my' letters are not 'mine'. If I wanted to do something in the "name" of SigmaDiva, that is fine. I am representing me. But, if I want to do something using in some form the name of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., then I am representing about 80,000 other women too. All of my sorors (sisters) may not share the same feelings / attitudes about a subject that I might have, and I have to respect that.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmadiva
It's all about context.

One thing I try to remember is that 'my' letters are not 'mine'. If I wanted to do something in the "name" of SigmaDiva, that is fine. I am representing me. But, if I want to do something using in some form the name of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., then I am representing about 80,000 other women too. All of my sorors (sisters) may not share the same feelings / attitudes about a subject that I might have, and I have to respect that.
This is certainly true. However, where does the line get drawn? You have your own feelings and attitudes, and your sorority sisters should respect that as well. Agree to disagree, as it were. (True in politics, religion, morals, etc.)

So if a young woman decides that she's proud of her body and would appreciate the income for posing in a skin zine, she should be allowed by her sisters to do so regardless of their own views on the morality of the matter, preferably without mentioning her letters, right? (I'm just thinking out loud here) But what happens when the chapter is actually fairly liberal and is proud to share in the young lady's glam and fame? Is she allowed to represent and acknowledge the sisters in her chapter by mentioning her letters?

Though I suppose then the hypothetical woman would be indeed representing a far larger body than is immediately relevant to her.

I don't know. On the one hand I want to protect everyone's right to be individual and express themselves, but on the other I do think ramifications to reputations should be considered.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DifferentDances
This is certainly true. However, where does the line get drawn? You have your own feelings and attitudes, and your sorority sisters should respect that as well. Agree to disagree, as it were. (True in politics, religion, morals, etc.)

So if a young woman decides that she's proud of her body and would appreciate the income for posing in a skin zine, she should be allowed by her sisters to do so regardless of their own views on the morality of the matter, preferably without mentioning her letters, right? (I'm just thinking out loud here) But what happens when the chapter is actually fairly liberal and is proud to share in the young lady's glam and fame? Is she allowed to represent and acknowledge the sisters in her chapter by mentioning her letters?

Though I suppose then the hypothetical woman would be indeed representing a far larger body than is immediately relevant to her.

I don't know. On the one hand I want to protect everyone's right to be individual and express themselves, but on the other I do think ramifications to reputations should be considered.

I see your point. It may just boil down to whatever the membership will tolerate. But, if it is majority rules, and the majority do / do not want to tolerate 'it', then the final decision should rest with that.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Its my understanding that the national usuauly strongly suggests that the sorority chapter vote to expell the girl. And that the sheep on the exec board and the sheep in the chapter go along with it.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Girls!

Last edited by James; 09-26-2005 at 02:32 AM.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey

-Rudey
I agree. If a girl in my sorority posed I'd be like "he** yea! that's my sorority sister".
Old 09-26-2005, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
I'm going out on a limb here, but I would assume that most NPC sororities has a "morals clause" in whatever it is that you sign as a member. How that clause is interpreted may vary greatly.

Yes, I think it's a catchall phrase. Kind of like the military's "conduct unbecoming to an officer." It just covers the butts of the powers that be so if someone does something they don't like they can give them the boot.

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
Only if you count DG Queen
Well, whichever DG she pretended to be was really pretty.