GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,569
3 members and 2,566 guests
JayhawkAOII, Phrozen Sands, Titchou

Old 06-27-2004, 06:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BabyP
Nicknames

I admire alot of your nicknames especially those that are locals. they are SO creative. please post what is your nickname or the most creative ones you have heard of??? I know you cant say why or how you picked it but it is so amazing how unique they are!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-27-2004, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I always thought nicknames were given to a person and not picked by the person getting the name.

Nicknaming yourself is lame
Old 06-27-2004, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

I've had many nicknames in my tenure with the chapter. Nowadays, I'm simply "K.T." (my initials).

In the past, was called taint because somehow the word taint just seems hilarious when you're driving through Arkansas at 4AM (road tripping).
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-27-2004, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally posted by Diamond Delta
I always thought nicknames were given to a person and not picked by the person getting the name.

Nicknaming yourself is lame
Why is it lame?

Mine is Phildo.... a combination of my first and last name. It was sorta started by myself as a joke, and it stuck in high school. Then one of my sisters heard the name, and it stuck. I seriously think there are some of the guys who don't know my real name.

Some funny ones I know of are Sticky (his last name is "goo" but spelled differently), Fish (cuz he drinks more than a fish), Guppy (Fish's little non-Greek brother who is always around). My favorite I think is Shitstick. I have NO clue how that came about tho.

KLTC
Old 06-27-2004, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Well I really only have one I like & care to share. I am called Bebe (pronounced bee-bee). I got in when one of my nephews could not say my name so he gave me a name he could say. After that, it stuck & my sorority sisters heard it one day & they liked it so they stuck with it too. Sometimes I think people have forgotten my real name. Hmmm...
Old 06-27-2004, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
We still do sister names.....as much a national doesn't like it.
I am Buttonz....for everyone who was/is an Anamanics fan, if you remember Buttons and Mindy, and how Mindy always got into trouble and Buttonssaved her, well my big (Diva) saw me as always there to help out someone in need.
Well, at AEPhi's greek awards oine of my sisters, Genie, won best name of the year...

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 06-27-2004, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOII*Azra-elle
I have a couple of nicknames:
Noisy--that came about b/c at figure skating competitions and hockey games I have a big mouth and a skater's dad called me noisy. It stuck

Q--one of my sisters, Paige, started calling me Q last year, she picks a letter and calls someone that, mine was b/c she said she was too lazy to say Suzie Q.

Then I have many many embarassing ones that only family members call me (Magoo, Purple Burple, Susu<--from my nephews). Hey, I'm not ashamed. I respond to all of them!
I know that she'll be there if ever I need her.
I know that our friendship is true.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

My nickname in the sorority is "Trouble Bubble". It was given to me by my big (a tradition) because I was the absolute hellion during pledging! I was always getting into trouble (mostly on purpose..) and getting my pledge class in trouble, lol! Ahh...fun times..I miss pledging!

Now, my pledge sisters nick's were: Doc Johnson (she just graduated w/a nursing degree and always seemed to have a first aid kit handy) and Smokey Magee (she was the lone smoker). I got to name my little last semester....she ended up being "Magoo", 'cause she's a little crackhead. She was always messing up the activity or losing something or just being plain ditzy.....but I love her!

My boyfriend's nick is "Silent Bob". If you know that Kevin Smith character, he's an exact copy....attitude and looks.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Our big sisters give us nicknames when we give them their paddles. Mine's Jasmine (as in the Aladdin character) because I'm Persian and my big thought I was really exotic-looking when we first met, and that was the first "name" she thought of for me
Old 06-27-2004, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Deuce....for reasons that only a few people know. However people still call me it, no matter how long it's been since I've seen them. I got the nickname freshman year.

This wasn't an official chapter nickname...just something a couple of buddies gave me after a night of going out.

Last edited by KSigkid; 06-28-2004 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Most of my sisters have nicknames (not official chapter ones) because of something they've done or for powderpuff jerseys.

Powderpuff is big at my school (even with only 4 sororities) and our shirts proudly state our nicknames and numbers on the back.

I play center on offense and defensive line (normally in the center of that as well). My nickname was given after my first game due to my "abilities".

I am known as "KILLA" and am #8!

*Just want to add that I have never physically harmed anyone.

Last edited by APhi Sailorgirl; 06-28-2004 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

we have chapter nicknames that the sisters make up while you're a new member. the rule is they have to be nice and cute and its a plus if they have a double meaning. mine (if my screen name didn't give it away) is Sierra for 3 reasons. The main reason is I was an environmental studies major when I joined so they named me after the Sierra club. Secondly its a Spanish word and I am part Spanish and finally someone claims its a shade of red, the color of my hair at the time.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:25 PM
PoohsHoneyBee

This girl I know and her big were given matching names...tweedle dee and tweedle dum...

we have not picked up on the nicknaming yet for our group
Old 06-28-2004, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

What's up all? Mine is Absolute, not explaining the reason, but for short I used to be called ABC.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Clash : because I was wearing a shirt and Tie that didn't coordinate very well.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!