GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,570
3 members and 1,567 guests
mlanderson, naraht

Old 01-14-2004, 02:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Going to RUSH? READ THIS before you post ANYTHING!

Ok. We know you want to tell us about your Rush experience. We know you want to ask for advice, encouragement and feedback.

Thats terrific. There are a lot of people on here that will hang on your every word and be very supportive.

However, you don't know who might be reading your story! And you don't know what effect that might have on your RUSH.

For your own piece of mind assume girls from every single house you are Rushing are reading your posts.

There are people that have gotten CUT from Rush because of what was posted here. You do not need people forming negative opinions about you from a chat site. Rush is grueling enough.

That being said here are some tips.

1. Don't tell us what school you are Rushing at. You can tell us later. That can mess you up.

2. Don't tell us which sororities are at your school or that you will be visiting. People can actually figure out your school by the names of the groups on campus. If you want names, make up "pet" names for them. Like Red, Alpha, One, etc.

3. Don't tell us the number of sororities on campus. Make up a number. Again, with the number of groups and some casual description some of the readers can research and find out which campus you are at. I know it sounds like they are obsessive and have too much time on their hands . .. but there you go.

4. Don't tell us the exact skit that you saw until after Rush. Again, people have too much time on their hands and can figure stuff out.

5. Don't tell us in which order you made out your bid card . . . EVER! Although common sense would say that not naming the groups should cover that.

6. Don't ever tell us you didn't get your first choice if you are going to Pledge a different group. Why let that get back to the girls and possibly effect you?

7. Do not respond to any PM's and Emails asking you any of the above. Or IM's. Assume you have NO friends until Rush is over. Its a week. Surely you can keep secrets that long? Assume that anyone you tell will tell others and it will get back to the girls that are Rushing you. If I hear stuff as a Fraternity Male, you know stuff really gets around.

Keep in mind that there are over 30 thousand registered users on this site! And God knows how many lurkers. Thats a lot of chances that someone might be in a position to mess up your Rush.

Anything I left out?

Oh and good luck.

Last edited by James; 01-14-2004 at 02:33 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-14-2004, 02:30 AM
GreekChat Member

This is all true. We all know how exciting Rush is, and GC--for the most part--is a supportive community. BUT...you never know who's going to read your posts!

Discretion is key!
Old 01-14-2004, 04:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Thanks for this, James. SOOO true.

I will say it probably won't hurt you to disclose one bit of info--ie, just the number of groups, but the more time goes on I'm beginning to think that posting the name of your school, house names, or preference list is a BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD idea.

That said, good luck ladies!
Old 01-14-2004, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

James,
That is all excellent advice. I am sometimes amazed at how many views a thread has had in relation to how many people have actually responded to something. It strikes me that there are MANY more people reading on GC than posting. You just never know who they are.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to butterfly2001nc
could a moderator or someone pug this under IMPORTANT so it can stay at the top so it doesn't just kind of fade away

GREAT advice btw!
Old 01-14-2004, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Hahaha I think this is a little bit of an exaggeration.

Speaking as somebody who DID have someone rush at her school this fall, even though she named some of the first round themes and skits, I still wasn't entirely sure which house was which until her second round. Some of the houses had the same skits (four of them all had Hollywood themed skits), some of them had entirely new skits from when I'd rushed . . . If she had left the skits/themes out, I probably wouldn't have known for all of rush, and even if I had, I wouldn't have known who she is.

However, this is at a rush with 11 houses and 500 girls going through, so you have a bit more anonymity than if you were going through at Munchkin's school.

My rule of thumb has always been this: If they don't know who you are, you're safe even if they know what school you're at and what sororities you go to. So don't post what you're going to wear, your name unless it's very common and the rush has a decent number of girls, any really strange things you discussed while you were at a house ("At XYZ I talked to a girl who raises pet lizards, just like me!"), or any other identifying details.

Your level of discretion can depend on how many girls are going through rush at your school.

Last edited by sugar and spice; 01-14-2004 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Co-sign.

The internet is not anonymus. Even though I found a home, I thinking posting a rush thread hurt me during rush. I'd rather a PNM not post anything or give a general thread with no real clues and get a bid than a PNM post everything and get cut badly.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:00 AM

I just want to remind everyone that we've had girls on GC who were cut from every house on their campus due to what was said on GC. You'd be surprised how many people read these rush threads. We've also had girls who have said that the sorority they are pledging was not their first choice; it got back to their chapter and caused some very awkward situations. I just want all PNMs to be aware that these message boards are not anonymous. While we would love to read your rush stories, just be mindful of what you post.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

hey, I have not through rush but I do not think posting where I go to school hurts me. It has helps, because I have now got to met alumni from my school that gave me great sound advise.

Some one can post there story as long as she is polite, and she should not get hurt.

Like don't rank your favorites, or say you did not get your first choice (that is just mean) or say XYZ is nothing but sluts and are dumber then dirt (as my mom says it).

Its called discretion, think/speak/act/talk/type smartly.

I have no problem saying that I loved ZZZ or ABC and QWE had great skits. But then I will not say anything negative against any group, they may not be my home but they might be purfect for some one else.

Chris
Old 01-14-2004, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rainbowbrightCS

I have no problem saying that I loved ZZZ or ABC and QWE had great skits. But then I will not say anything negative against any group, they may not be my home but they might be purfect for some one else.

Chris

I so agree! It erks me to no end when i read negative stuff like that about chapters. That's also exactly why Recruitment Counselors tell PNM's to keep opinions about where they go to themselves and not to talk about it with their friends. This is because you can have one girl really like a house and another girl have a strong opinion about it and the girl that liked it may not go back (eventhough that house may have been her best fit).
Old 01-14-2004, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Rainbow, James was just giving advice. Of course, there are exceptions to everything. Sugar and Spice pointed out that it is much easier to by anonymous at a large school than a small one. If I recall you will be at a small school with only 3 sororities. If you are comfortable posting your rush story then you should do that - there will be LOTS of people on GC who will be interested in it. The thing to remember is to be careful what you say. It will be very easy for someone on your campus to figure out who you are just from the details you have posted on GC so far. Even the smallest and most innocent remarks will be dissected and discussed if someone from your school is reading.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

actually there are six at my school. 6 national with great reps...

that is why I will not say anything negative, I hate negativity.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Great post. Example of what you could say:

"Today was ice water teas and we visited all the houses on campus. I wore a pink dress and sandals that weren't comfortable (BIG MISTAKE). I really enjoyed talking to the girls at all of the houses, and I can't wait to get my invites tomorrow. I especially enjoyed talking to girls at a few of the houses, but I'm trying to keep an open mind until tomorrow since it was only 15 minutes at each house."

What you should not say:

"Today was ice water teas and they made us go to all the houses even though I'd never ever join 5 of them. I wore a pink Lilly with palm trees on it and camel Coach heels. I really loved the girls at the Dolphin and Panda Bear houses, but I did NOT like the Teddy Bears, and the girl at the Turtle house is from my hometown and her dad does not make enough money."
Old 01-14-2004, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

yes, that is what I mean, a pnm can tell her story if she wants to with out hurting herself or others.

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
Great post. Example of what you could say:

"Today was ice water teas and we visited all the houses on campus. I wore a pink dress and sandals that weren't comfortable (BIG MISTAKE). I really enjoyed talking to the girls at all of the houses, and I can't wait to get my invites tomorrow. I especially enjoyed talking to girls at a few of the houses, but I'm trying to keep an open mind until tomorrow since it was only 15 minutes at each house."

What you should not say:

"Today was ice water teas and they made us go to all the houses even though I'd never ever join 5 of them. I wore a pink Lilly with palm trees on it and camel Coach heels. I really loved the girls at the Dolphin and Panda Bear houses, but I did NOT like the Teddy Bears, and the girl at the Turtle house is from my hometown and her dad does not make enough money."
Old 01-14-2004, 10:29 AM

I totally agree with all of the above. Also - you know when you put the info in your profile and it says "location"? If you say "Texas" or "Northeast" that's fine, but if you say "Greencastle Indiana" everyone will be able to figure out you go to DePauw even if you never mention it. Also don't use your email if it is something like susiesmith@nameofcollege.edu.

If writing it out with the names and your good and bad thoughts makes you feel better and helps you clear your head, write it in a journal. Not an LJ. Not a blog. An old-fashioned paper journal like your granny used to have when she was drooling over how dreamy Elvis was.

Oh and one more piece of advice. Don't wear electric blue spandex pants.

Last edited by 33girl; 01-14-2004 at 10:34 AM.