GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,185
0 members and 2,185 guests
No Members online

Old 12-26-2002, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I gained weight my first semester, but that was because I was on a sports team and was working out and eating with people twice my size. When I quit, I went back to about 5 pounds above my HS height. I walk considerably more at school than I do at home, and I eat healthier, so I imagine that has something to do with it.

HS girls are all just really skinny. Last summer, we worked with HS seniors, and I forgot how skinny they can be. And they don't think they are!

I also agree with OULioness's theory. Although, part of the reason I got on BC was because I (and my doctor) thought it would add a few pounds on me.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-26-2002, 11:52 PM

I gained 5 pounds my first semester, probably from the late night trips to Subway & all the baked goods.

I also gained 5 pounds the summer I was in summer school - no doubt because one sister I was living with drove any distance more than a block (and hey, if she's going my way I'll take the ride) and because another sister was dating a Pizza Hut delivery boy who brought us lots of leftovers. Once those 2 things were removed, the 5# went away.

"Secretarial spread" (even if you're not a secretary) is far worse and more prevalent than the freshman 15.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I gained 15 pounds which was awful since I out grew many of my new college outfits. I lost the weight when I had mono the summer after my freshman year. I gained it back sophomore year. My weight kept yo-yo-ing up and down until after college.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl

"Secretarial spread" (even if you're not a secretary) is far worse and more prevalent than the freshman 15.
Dare I ask what "secretarial spread" is??
Old 12-27-2002, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I think it is when your butt gets bigger (wider) from sitting at a desk all day.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I gained weight my freshman year, but not during the first couple months like everybody said I would. I actually lost ten pounds in the first couple months of school -- from all the walking, the stress, skipping cafeteria meals, etc. -- and when I went home for the first time in October everybody was scared of how skinny I was. But then during spring semester, I gained 15 pounds back -- it's really hard to find the motivation to go outside and walk a mile across campus in Minnesota's snow, hail and icy winds, just to work out and then walk a mile back -- so I didn't, and it definitely took its toll.

Last edited by sugar and spice; 12-27-2002 at 02:31 AM.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I lost about ten pounds during my first semester of college. Oglethorpe is notorious for really bad cafeteria food. It's even noted in the Princeton Review as having the second worst cafeteria food in the country. However, I gained the ten pounds back the first week that I went home for Christmas Break.

RedHotChiO
Old 12-27-2002, 06:10 AM
GreekChat Member

In just the fall semester of my freshman year, I lost about 20 - 25 lbs. I was really depressed and never really ate. Things have gotten a lot better; I left that school and gained my 20 - 25 back, even though that may not be a good thing. BUT, in these past couple of months, I lost 25 lbs in a much healthier way.

Last edited by SATX*APhi; 12-27-2002 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I gained about 10 pounds, which was good because I was about 10 pounds underweight before. I didn't eat much in college though, so I chalk it up to the fact that my body didn't really develop until I was 18. I'm still about the same weight now as I was during my freshman year.

And YES it does happen to guys! I saw this guy I went to high school with at a party at another school one night... In high school he was a toothpick, but when I saw him at this party, he was at least 20-30 pounds heavier! Probably all the beer...
Old 12-27-2002, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

All those BEER BUSTS!!! Plus the only things edible in OUR cafeteria were the ROLLS!
Then you are on your own and the CHEAPEST food was always the most fattening (think Ramen Noodles for this age bracket).

How long to loose it? Well...about 3 years, when I got out of the dorm and into our apt.

I saw that they have upped the 15 to 20 or 30. (Just can't remember which.) One of my roommates came to college flat as a pancake. Gained those Fresh. 15 and went home for summer with a pair of boobs any guy could appreciate! So, it wasn't all bad...for some.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I gained weight....probably about 15 pounds. Probably because of all the beer... It made me thick, but a lot of my friends got these weird, cottage-cheese like beer bellies. Hehehehe Once I quit drinking all the time, it came off.

swissmiss: I just got my wisdom teeth out, and you said that getting yours out made you gain weight?! How/why does this happen??!!
Old 12-27-2002, 10:10 AM
Ginger

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Hell yes. I stayed at pretty much the same weight through college, but now that I've been out of college and working full time (as a secretary!) I've put on maybe 5 or 10 pounds... sitting inactive all day + having the money to go out for nice dinners = not a good combination!
Old 12-27-2002, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by FAB*SpiceySpice

Dare I ask what "secretarial spread" is??

Same thing that elementary teachers get from all the snacks in the teachers' lounge!
Old 12-27-2002, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ladybug1116
I'm another one that LOST 15 pounds my freshman year....working out every day, walking all over campus, and barely eating anything (too lazy to cook and don't really like fast food). People said I looked "not well" but I liked it

The weight slowly crept back on my senior year of college because we were all trying to live it up as much as we could before we graduated. (Read: Too much partying) Thankfully I've been able to lose some of that weight since I've moved but it's hard because there's no way I could get in as much "natural" exercise as in college (walking on campus) PLUS my hour or so at the gym.

Many of my friends DID gain weight though....partying, sorority food and candy, etc.
Old 12-27-2002, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

In my senior year of h.s., I gained 15 pounds on a trip to Russia ... everywhere we Americans went, they would stuff us with pastries and the like, and tell us to eat more! I was so shocked to gain that much that fast. So in college I actually lost about ten pounds, due to just walking around campus more.

After college has been the hard part. My jobs have mostly been very sedentary, except being a flight attendant, in which case the problem was eating out a lot and being around snacks all day. I have to work to keep in shape.

But unfortunately, my weight has not varied in several years. I get skinnier as my muscles get more buff, but the scale doesn't move. Grr! Not that I'm 600 pounds ... it's just that classic "the last five pounds" I want off.