GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,398
1 members and 1,397 guests
janesstexxda745

Old 05-01-2008, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

nose piercing--will it affect rushing at UNC?

I am interesting in joining a sorority next year at UNC and I have a (small) nose piercing. Will this be a turn off for sororities during rush? I don't really want to take it out and it is not glaring. Also, I'm a junior transfer so I feel like I'm kind of at a disadvantage already... Does this kind of thing matter? Thanks!
Old 05-01-2008, 05:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Don't they make clear "spacers" for nose piercings so they're not (as) visible?
Old 05-01-2008, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lk22 View Post
I am interesting in joining a sorority next year at UNC . . .
You might want to clarify. Is that the University of North Carolina or the University of Northern Colorado?
Old 05-01-2008, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I am a sorority member with a nose piercing. My big sister has a lip piercing, and another sister had a double anti-eyebrow. We all had our piercings done after we were sisters (well, I was a new member...), but I know for certain that we have taken (and fought hard for) new members with piercings since I have been a sister.

That said, campus cultures vary. Look carefully and see if you see sorority members with facial piercings on your campus. If you don't see anyone with similar jewelry, and if you don't want to remove it or use a clear spacer/place-holder thingy, maybe an option would be to make sure that your jewelry is VERY small. (Some people come up to me and ask if mine's new... and it's been 2.5 years; others, when they notice my piercing, say they thought it was a speck of glitter. That is TINY!)

Best of luck with your recruitment.

Sigma Sigma Sigma
Old 05-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperblySigma View Post
I am a sorority member with a nose piercing. My big sister has a lip piercing, and another sister had a double anti-eyebrow. We all had our piercings done after we were sisters (well, I was a new member...), but I know for certain that we have taken (and fought hard for) new members with piercings since I have been a sister.

That said, campus cultures vary. Look carefully and see if you see sorority members with facial piercings on your campus. If you don't see anyone with similar jewelry, and if you don't want to remove it or use a clear spacer/place-holder thingy, maybe an option would be to make sure that your jewelry is VERY small. (Some people come up to me and ask if mine's new... and it's been 2.5 years; others, when they notice my piercing, say they thought it was a speck of glitter. That is TINY!)

Best of luck with your recruitment.
it is most helpful when you share information that you either tell what campus you are on, the climate and culture of the campus and how competitive the recruitment is. sometimes the op might assume that you are attending the college they are asking about if you don't specify.

to the op, err on the side of caution and cover it up or go with a small, unobtrusive nosering-perhaps a stud. from what i know of the sororities at unc-chapel hill, they are conservative in their appearance-at least during recruitment. there are several chapters at unc-chapel hill that have been or currently are the #1 chapter of their sorority in the nation-you don't get those awards if you are avant garde'.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I feel like nose piercing are becoming more common. If its just a small silver stud and not a loop you might be ok. It just really depends what house you are looking at.

I got to Wake just a hop down the road from UNC and we definatly say more girls with nose piercings go through this year (but still not a ton). I don't think many of chapters cut for that and wake is on the more concervative side. But I can't actually say for sure.

If you are that concerned then take it out.

Also, I know some GCers that go to UNC. I'd like to hear their 2 cents.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Having worked with my GLO's chapter at UNC (Carolina not Colorado) I've gotten a chance to observe some of the other groups as well. My advice would be to make sure it is a small stud. Some groups will care. But to be honest, if you love it don't take it out. Then you're trying to be someone your not.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
it is most helpful when you share information that you either tell what campus you are on, the climate and culture of the campus and how competitive the recruitment is. sometimes the op might assume that you are attending the college they are asking about if you don't specify.
My apologies and thank you for the reminder! For clarification, I'm not at UNC, but in Atlanta. My school is small, not SEC or conservative, with a recruitment that isn't cutthroat, recs-to-every-house, cut-for-wearing-white-after-Labor-day competitive.

Sigma Sigma Sigma
Old 05-01-2008, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

UNC is alot like Duke...Southern but not. Basketball school. Not knowing the particular sorority culture...you might wanna watch it. The fraternities are fairly conservative in their dress.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 05-01-2008, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
UNC is alot like Duke...Southern but not. Basketball school.
Nah, much more Southern than Duke. But yeah, ACC basketball is without a doubt the state religion in North Carolina, and the Dean Dome and Cameron Indoor are the two major temples.

There are quite a few Carolina sorority members on GC. Assuming she means Carolina (I've seen plenty of times on GC that people have meant University of Northen Colorado by UNC), they'd be in the best position to answer how it'd be viewed.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Nah, much more Southern than Duke.
This is correct. As a North Carolinian, Duke is basically considered a Northern school by many NC natives. UNC requires that 80% of undergrads be NC natives, so it has a far more southern atmosphere - far more southern, even, then say UVA (which I also know fairly well). UNC is not a "southern recruitment" to the extent of SEC schools, but from my limited knowledge of Greek Life there I definitely think it could hurt you. I think you will find it a teensy bit more laid back, though, than say Bama or something.

The thing about NC is that like Georgia it's a "New South" state so there's a divide between new-ish residents of places like Charlotte, Raleigh, and (especially) Cary, and between the old school small town high society thing. I'm not 100% sure how this plays out in UNC recruitment, but I'm sure it's a factor.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I attended Elon's recruitment (a short trip from UNC) this year in an alum support capacity and there were a couple girls that went through with small/almost unnoticible nose piercing that got bids. However none of them (that I can think of) got bids to more "southern" GLOs.

And while the chapter I helped out with had a couple girls with nose piercing in it, they all took them out for recruitment.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Take it out during recruitment. Put it back in after Bid Day.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
The thing about NC is that like Georgia it's a "New South" state so there's a divide between new-ish residents of places like Charlotte, Raleigh, and (especially) Cary.
You mean the Containment Area for Relocated Yankees?
Old 05-01-2008, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
You mean the Containment Area for Relocated Yankees?
*gasp*
You mean you have a reservation set up for us down there?!?!!

*starts practicing southern twang in case NC travel required, need.to.avoid.capture*