GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,218
0 members and 1,218 guests
No Members online

Old 04-25-2012, 02:56 AM
GreekChat Member

tngirl01, as a resident of a Seattle-area suburb for most of my life, I can tell you that a although the city is a joke during any snowstorm, thankfully that only happens maybe 2-3 days per year on average. We have the occasional freak year when the snow sticks around for a week, but usually when it snows it only sticks around for a day or two on the roads. The Seattle area, and certainly the city limits, gets very little snow, as we are barely above sea level. The mountains and their foothills, some rural areas, and the eastern side of the mountains can get lots of snow, but you will be fine in the city. If it does snow, you will hear all about it on the news days in advance, and you can park your car for the day or two. In that case, enjoy the sledding, skiing, naughty snowmen and streaking naked with the other UW students since on those days classes will probably be cancelled!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
You may get plowed in if you're parked on the street, so get a collapsible snow shovel to help dig yourself out. In regards to the kitty litter, get the non-clumping kind and it can be safely used for traction and weight in the back of your vehicle. Many places, like Les Schwab, will sell tire cables and if you don't use them you can return them. However, having them isn't a bad thing and I suggest that you do a practice run for putting them on if you ever actually need them installed. I put a pair of gardening gloves with rubber palms in my cables box to protect my hands and make it easier when I put them on.

You may want to ask the Seattle Nissan service people when you get your oil changed after your parents drive your car from TN, is about the oil grade. Often when living in colder places many vehicles use 5W-30 instead of 10W-30, so you'd want to get the right oil to top off the oil when you check it between changes. Also consider changing your wiper fluid to the kind that handles below freezing temps, and look into gas line antifreeze, like Heet, since you won't be driving your car a lot.

Lastly, look into a AAA WA membership if you don't have a TN one. The roadside service is worth it, and you can get all kinds of discounts. I personally have the Premier one with 200 miles of towing since I live in the middle of nowhere, but you would probably be fine with the Classic. I upgraded from the Plus and Plus was well worth it for years. http://www.aaawa.com/membership/
Thank you for the advice! I never would have thought of those things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
tngirl01, as a resident of a Seattle-area suburb for most of my life, I can tell you that a although the city is a joke during any snowstorm, thankfully that only happens maybe 2-3 days per year on average. We have the occasional freak year when the snow sticks around for a week, but usually when it snows it only sticks around for a day or two on the roads. The Seattle area, and certainly the city limits, gets very little snow, as we are barely above sea level. The mountains and their foothills, some rural areas, and the eastern side of the mountains can get lots of snow, but you will be fine in the city. If it does snow, you will hear all about it on the news days in advance, and you can park your car for the day or two. In that case, enjoy the sledding, skiing, naughty snowmen and streaking naked with the other UW students since on those days classes will probably be cancelled!

Ok, thanks! I'm really excited to live in Seattle, so I appreciate all the new things I'm learning.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl01 View Post
Thank you for the advice! I never would have thought of those things.

Ok, thanks! I'm really excited to live in Seattle, so I appreciate all the new things I'm learning.
Trust that the weather, construction, or an accident will always happen when you need to be somewhere and use your car.

The AAA roadside service part of the membership is tied to you, not your vehicle, so if you're riding with someone else and have a mishap you can call for help. They don't just do a jump start, but they carry batteries so you can get a new one on the spot. I am getting a vibe from you that you take the time to plan ahead and investigate, much like I do, so I'm just trying to give you information about stuff so you can make the best choices for yourself.

I'd like to consider myself a capable and independent woman of the world, who also went far away for school. The AAA membership gives my parents peace of mind as I'm the baby, the only unmarried daughter, and the one who lives the furthest away from home. I know how to check my oil, change a tire, jump start a vehicle, push start a vehicle, and all those tricks, but knowing 1-800-AAA-HELP is there 24 hours a day is great.

I also previously mentioned REI, which PeppyGPhiB and I agree upon is the place to get outdoor gear. Their return policy, and customer service is amazing. They've sent me repair and replacement items while in the field, and given me my money back on items that were years old and crapped out. There's a store in Brentwood if you want to buy at home during their upcoming anniversary sale, as you can always exchange it in Seattle.

ETA: You're so close to Canada you may want to go sometime, not a bad idea to have a passport if you don't already have one. You can drive your car, drive your car onto the ferry, or get on the ferry as a passenger. It is something to do that isn't too far, and often young people will go skiing and snowboarding in British Columbia. I personally think Victoria is fun because I like to put on crazy hats and have High Tea at The Empress, you may have other interests.

Last edited by VandalSquirrel; 04-25-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Echo much of what Vandal just said, plus I'll add that REI is also a great place to buy a bike if you don't already have one. With every bike purchase they also give you a credit for one of their bike maintenance classes, so you can learn how to fix any basic problems with your bike. The downtown store (flagship) has walking trails to test footwear, bike trails outside to test bikes, and a rain shower inside to test waterproof coats =)

Get a passport. I personally think it's a good idea for all Americans to have one, but especially anyone in a border state. Plus, let's get real, this must be mentioned since it's relevant for you: the drinking age in B.C. is 19, so you may meet people in college that want to go up there for a weekend, especially for skiing at Whistler.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Most of the UW Greeks as well as a large percentage of the UO and OSU Greeks (some WSU as well I think), head to Whistler on MLK weekend becuase that's Whistler college weekend. Pretty big deal for those Greek systems- particularly for the freshman/sophomores, so you will definately want that passport.

Last edited by AXOmom; 04-25-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I just got my passport renewed so I think I'm good there. I don't know if any of you will be able to help me out with this, but I have one semi-irrelevant passport question: Since I won't turn 18 until July, is my passport still only valid for 5 years, or since I'm turning 18, will it be 10 years? I know this is a random question to ask that I could probably find somewhere else on the Internet but just wondering.
Thanks for the AAA advice! My parents will be all over that. And you're right, I LOVE to plan ahead! I'm one of those really organized people, so thank you all for the info! I am actually going to Brentwood this weekend for a wedding, so I'll check that store out before the sale.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl01 View Post
I just got my passport renewed so I think I'm good there. I don't know if any of you will be able to help me out with this, but I have one semi-irrelevant passport question: Since I won't turn 18 until July, is my passport still only valid for 5 years, or since I'm turning 18, will it be 10 years? I know this is a random question to ask that I could probably find somewhere else on the Internet but just wondering.
I believe that since you were over the age of 16 when you renewed your passport, it is good for 10 years. Had you been under 16, then it would have been good for 5 years.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Coincidentally, I just completed the forms to renew my kids' passports today. 16 and up is good for 10 years, and costs the full adult price.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 04-25-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh, ok. I just assumed it was 5 until you were a legal adult. Thank you!