GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,309
1 members and 1,308 guests
acg233

Old 05-30-2008, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Bridal Shower Question

I am the maid of honour for my best friend's wedding this September. There are 3 of in her bridal party, and the 2 other bridesmaids are helping me co-host her shower. All three of us are on a tight budget and the shower will take place at my house.

My question is, are favours for the guests necessary?? I have never been to a bridal shower where I was given a gift/favour for attending. I personally hate favours and I hate stupid little trinkets. I think they are a waste of money.

I don't want to waste money on favours, but I really don't want to pi$$ anyone off if I don't have them, but how can keep the cost down for favours?

I don't have a theme for the shower. Our plan was to keep it along the same lines as the wedding. Her colours are black, white and silver and a classic car theme (both bride and groom are classic car nuts and the groom is a mechanic).

Any ideas??? Do I really need to get favours??
Old 05-30-2008, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

What about edible favors? Those dont typically cost much. You could make chocolate lollipops or cookies shaped like car with icing in one of their colors? I dont know if bridal shower favors are necessary but I think its nice to thank the guests and I hate trinkets as well so for my bridal shower in a few weeks my BMs decided to go the edible favor route and are making these:

http://www.marthastewart.com/sugar-cookie-cakes
Old 05-30-2008, 03:01 PM

Bridal shower favors are not a must, at least where I'm from. If you're going to do them, an edible favor will cost less and be less annoying than silly little trinkets.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

No, favors are not necessary for a shower. Honestly no one is going to care or notice whether you have them or not.

ETA-As long as the shower is fun, people have good times and good food, they'll remember the bride opening gifts, laughing and all of the other silly old wives tales that happen at showers.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think they're really a must for a shower.

War Eagle
Old 05-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Bridal shower favors are not a must, at least where I'm from. If you're going to do them, an edible favor will cost less and be less annoying than silly little trinkets.
Unless they're really beautiful and I can tell that someone took a long time to make them, I toss em in the garbage once I get home.

I agree with everyone on edible favors.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree on the edible/otherwise consumable favors.

For my shower, we're doing small jar candles in the wedding colors. For the wedding, the favor will involve chocolate.

You can get jar candles really inexpensive at like Walmart. I think they have small jar candles for $1. You could dress them up with ribbon, a label, or something else. Inexpensive, and something that can be used.

I am not a fan of little trinkets that sit around collecting dust. I'm also not a fan of random mini picture frames. They're usually not that nice, and don't match anything that I already have, so they end up becoming junk.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator

Do the edible favors. If you can't do the cookies without breaking the bank (I've seen cookies go for over $5 each!), go to a craft store which sells candy supplies. Pick out a mold and some chocolate. Seriously, you can make some very pretty or at least apropos candies in half an hour, for less than 50 cents each (counting the wrap), and they're practically foolproof. The one secret is to have several bowls to microwave the chocolate - if even the tiniest bit of water is in the bowl, it will ruin the batch.

One pretty one I was given was a rosebud lollipop. It was minty chocolate, but pink, and the stick was green. There was a clear wrap over the rosebud, and the green twist ties had a leaf on each one. That's when I asked about the costs, and I now make a lot of my own chocolates for events.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Do the edible favors. If you can't do the cookies without breaking the bank (I've seen cookies go for over $5 each!), go to a craft store which sells candy supplies. Pick out a mold and some chocolate. Seriously, you can make some very pretty or at least apropos candies in half an hour, for less than 50 cents each (counting the wrap), and they're practically foolproof. The one secret is to have several bowls to microwave the chocolate - if even the tiniest bit of water is in the bowl, it will ruin the batch.

One pretty one I was given was a rosebud lollipop. It was minty chocolate, but pink, and the stick was green. There was a clear wrap over the rosebud, and the green twist ties had a leaf on each one. That's when I asked about the costs, and I now make a lot of my own chocolates for events.
Seriously, is it hard to make those? I saw really cool molds for seashells and other underwater stuff that would totally go with our recruitment theme. I just don't want to kill myself making that many chocolates if it's super hard.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

We did this as an Alumnae Association project every year (making candy). You buy the chocolate disks in the flavors & colors you want, microwave them, pour the chocolate into the mold, let it cool, and pop them out. VERY easy! Figure on about 2-3 minutes to melt the chocolate (it's actually a shorter time, but you do keep checking it), another 5 minutes to fill the mold, but depending on the mold, you could wait up to a half hour for them to cool.

As I said, the one problem is if you decide to wash the bowl and there's still some water in it - messes up the chocolate. But now, there's even little cardboard boxes in which you can melt the chocolate, so you don't have that problem. Lately, I've been melting the chocolate in the decorator bottles, but that's because I've been using it to decorate cookies. That takes a bit more effort, but it's worth it.

I still don't know where they found the green lollipop sticks, though. I imagine that there's a type of tint or spray that doesn't mess up your hands but is still edible, though.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
I agree with others that edible food is a good option. I don't generally go to a bridal shower expecting to get something. A few years back when one of my friends was a MOH, she gave us a couple of those travel size lotions from Bath and Body works. We just traded to get the scents we wanted from each other. And then she made cookies for the bags.
Most of the time when I get stuff, I end up chucking it.

Last edited by bluefish81; 06-02-2008 at 12:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-02-2008, 06:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I will agree that the chocolates are really easy to do. We make them for Christmas and Easter for my kids to give to friends as little gifts. You can also do a larger quantity at once if you melt them in a fondue pot and use little ladles to pour them. I either do that, or use the decorator bottles, but the bottles are hard to clean afterward and the dog likes to hunt them down and chew on them since they smell like chocolate. Now that the kids are older, they paint in details with different color chocolate melts so they are getting more sophisticated with it.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

New question-what the h is a subscription bridal shower? I just got the invite today! Thank God for GC!
Old 06-26-2008, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

A WHAT???

And I veto all favors and games at showers. Have good food, maybe some flowers or a cute centerpiece, use real china and enjoy mixing, mingling and watching the bride open her gifts.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedyAnn View Post
New question-what the h is a subscription bridal shower? I just got the invite today! Thank God for GC!
a subscription bridal shower?

Hmmm

Maybe instead of a gift the bride wants a 2-yr subscription to Better Homes & Gardens?