GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,253
1 members and 1,252 guests
speedsters

Old 05-03-2008, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Hazed: A greek tragedy at Northwestern-Lambda Phi Epsilon

The seven pledges stood, shoulder to shoulder and in silence, on the newspaper-covered floor of an apartment on Foster Street. Across a row of seven empty trash cans, 14 actives held gallon jugs of liquid, which looked from their colors as if they had been selected at random from the coolers of a 7-Eleven.
A brother known as the "pledge father" told the pledges that though it seemed like a lot to drink, that was just a mental barrier. Each jug they drank was one fewer their pledge brothers would have to finish, he continued. "We want to see you down this stuff, balls to the wall," he said.
The first active handed a jug across the trash cans to the first pledge. Unscrewing the top, he took a hesitant sip. It was spicy and thick, likely a mixture of ketchup and Tabasco sauce. He started sucking it down. He got through about half of it. Then he puked. By the time the first jug reached the seventh and final pledge, it was still unfinished. But he swallowed its last drops and went to work on the second jug. This continued for four or five hours until the last jug, brewed from a time-honored recipe called "Death," had been swilled. Each pledge drank about two gallons before the "takeout," as the pledge events are called, ended. This one was called DTYD: Drink 'Til You Drop.......
http://www.uwire.com/Article.aspx?id=811702

Hazed: A Greek Tragedy

After enduring countless "takeouts," the freshman pledges of Lambda Phi Epsilon called it quits

http://media.www.dailynorthwestern.c...-3360461.shtml
Old 05-03-2008, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

How damn stupid!

I hope the whole chapter is removed from the school! Why, because they were all involved in it!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-03-2008, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
That's disgusting. What purpose does this serve? And, are there not other less ridiculous ways to demonstrate to the pledges that they have to have each others' backs? I wouldn't go so far as to say that they need to be removed from campus, but they do need to have a fraternity rep oversee what they're doing to keep things within reason.

ETA: Lambda Phi Epsilon really needs to work on oversight in general. If I'm not mistaken, each chapter is essentially a local organization with its own rules and such. If their pledges keep dying, they won't be around much longer to fix the problem.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.

Last edited by preciousjeni; 05-03-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

This kind of hazing is just stupid and ridiculous.

These guys should get kicked off campus, not necessarily because of the hazing, but just because they are complete idiots.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
That's disgusting. What purpose does this serve? And, are there not other less ridiculous ways to demonstrate to the pledges that they have to have each others' backs? I wouldn't go so far as to say that they need to be removed from campus, but they do need to have a fraternity rep oversee what they're doing to keep things within reason.

ETA: Lambda Phi Epsilon really needs to work on oversight in general. If I'm not mistaken, each chapter is essentially a local organiation with its own rules and such. If their pledges keep dying, they won't be around much longer to fix the problem.
I agree-in fact there is a link showing that this already has happened two years ago at another chapter in a Southern school.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nwu43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1856 View Post
I agree-in fact there is a link showing that this already has happened two years ago at another chapter in a Southern school.
Oy, I knew it would be a matter of time before this was brought up here.
Look I'm not even gonna bother because you guys seem to have bought into everything this guy has written in his sensational article.

But if you want to see this thing from our side of it as well, look for our statement in response (it will be published on Monday). Also FYI, we're not alone here trying to defend ourselves, as MGC and NPHC chapters here have also got our back and supports us.
hooters #43

Alpha Eta chapter
Northwestern University
Old 05-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Is the article true? If so, then it's sort of hard to defend you. You broke campus policy and probably the law. Read through a few articles on here. Kids go to jail for much less than what is alleged in these complaints.

As far as the "outrage," if you read the article, you'll note that the "emasculation" comment was a quotation from a professor of Asian-American studies. You can't blame Jackson, he was just out to get some answers.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma

Last edited by Kevin; 05-03-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey guys,

I just stumbled onto this site today and was surprised to find this article here. I am a student at Northwestern currently and believe every word written in this article. I know Peter Jackson very well as we are very good friends. I believe that there is no possible way for him to lie.

He does have a penchant for breaking the rules but what he unearths is the truth.
I am delighted to see another member of the Multi-cultural greek council go down.
Although it is unfortunate, this had to be done. I mean come on, they were forcing them to drink stuff.

the rumors about this chinese frat also were crazy on campus. That's how Peter wrote the story, from all the rumors. He went to each source of the rumors, and EVEN WHEN none of them were even willing to talk to him. HE STILL DUG UP THE TRUTH from the tiny bits each of them had to say.

Peter had to DIG UP THE TRUTH, by putting together the details bit by bit and pieces by pieces until he discovered everything and put it down on paper. HOW IS THAT UNETHICAL OR HALF TRUTHS? he constructed the WHOLE story by using small details. Do you realize how much effort that would take?

True his assignment was to do a piece on MGC (...no one wants to read about them) but Peter found something the people wanted to read about, true or not.

and you know what, who cares if all his sources were freshman who didn't receive bids.
IT DOSEN"T MATTER. THE TRUTH STILL CAME OUT. AND THATS ALL THAT MATTERS.

HE IS AN SENSATIONAL JOURNALIST AND SHOULD BE GIVEN AN AWARD FOR THIS ARTICLE.

Last edited by cp.pride; 05-03-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

PJITY?
Old 05-03-2008, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp.pride View Post
Hey guys,

I just stumbled onto this site today and was surprised to find this article here. I am a student at Northwestern currently and believe every word written in this article. I know Peter Jackson very well as we are in the same Fraternity. I believe that there is no possible way for him to lie.

He does have a penchant for breaking the rules but what he unearths is the truth.
I am delighted to see another member of the Multi-cultural greek council go down.
Although it is unfortunate, this had to be done. I mean come on, they were forcing them to drink stuff.

I do realize that this might sound a bit hypocritical as rumors about my fraternity float around on campus just as much as this Latino or asian or wahtever one.
But to clarify, the pledge who had his neck slit with a box cutter was a complete accident, he did not press charges, and he is a happy member of our fraternity today.

PLUS the rumors about this chinese frat also were crazy on campus. That's how Peter wrote the story, from all the rumors. He went to each source of the rumors, and EVEN WHEN none of them were even willing to talk to him. HE STILL DUG UP THE TRUTH from the tiny bits each of them had to say.

Peter had to DIG UP THE TRUTH, by putting together the details bit by bit and pieces by pieces until he discovered everything and put it down on paper. HOW IS THAT UNETHICAL OR HALF TRUTHS? he constructed the WHOLE story by using small details. Do you realize how much effort that would take? How long the whole 3 days he was working on the article actually took? He worked on this for so long.

True his assignment was to do a piece on MGC (...no one wants to read about them) but Peter found something the people wanted to read about, true or not.

and you know what, who cares if all his sources were freshman who didn't receive bids.

IT DOSEN"T MATTER. THE TRUTH STILL CAME OUT. AND THATS ALL THAT MATTERS.

HE IS AN SENSATIONAL JOURNALIST AND SHOULD BE GIVEN AN AWARD FOR THIS ARTICLE.

"chinese frat"

Wow. I honestly don't know what to say here... I didn't think there'd be people this ignorant on our campus.
hooters #43

Alpha Eta chapter
Northwestern University

Last edited by nwu43; 05-03-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
As far as the "outrage," if you read the article, you'll note that the "emasculation" comment was a quotation from a professor of Asian-American studies. You can't blame Jackson, he was just out to get some answers.
A quote from the article: "He says some of the Lambdas he knows feel "emasculated" because they're Asian"

The professor later told us that he never said that. And he mentioned that many of the other things he was quoted to say were completely taken out of context.
hooters #43

Alpha Eta chapter
Northwestern University
Old 05-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Well, if PJ is worth a crap, he taped the interview so he wouldn't misquote. The quote sounds pretty ignorant anyhow. Groups don't haze because they feel emasculated, they do so because it's effective at team building.

That said, I guess you're not taking issue with the hazing accusations?
Old 05-03-2008, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, if PJ is worth a crap, he taped the interview so he wouldn't misquote. The quote sounds pretty ignorant anyhow. Groups don't haze because they feel emasculated, they do so because it's effective at team building.

That said, I guess you're not taking issue with the hazing accusations?
Of course we do. But I have to be extremely careful about that, which is why I don't want to write about it just yet because anyone can take my words out of context as well and twist them around. (you've already gotten my PM right?)
hooters #43

Alpha Eta chapter
Northwestern University
Old 05-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwu43 View Post
Of course we do. But I have to be extremely careful about that, which is why I don't want to write about it just yet because anyone can take my words out of context as well and twist them around. (you've already gotten my PM right?)
Actually, no. I never got a PM from you.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Actually, no. I never got a PM from you.
Ugh.. that's strange. I'll write you again later (it took me awhile to write that PM reply). Thanks for at least keeping an open mind though and not immediately jumping to conclusions.
hooters #43

Alpha Eta chapter
Northwestern University