GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,212
4 members and 2,208 guests
aaidativanovoz6, KSigkid, Sen's Revenge

Old 08-16-2009, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats Gamma Phi - that is such an exciting number & to the Alpha Phis with their first rush.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-16-2009, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Just to clarify, a good GPA doesn't guarantee a spot in a sorority at Bama... I had over a 4.0 GPA; was in various honor societies, SGA, community service organizations, sports, church, etc; had around 25 rec letters to the different sororities; knew some people inside a few of the sororities; and am well liked by many people. Still got dropped early this morning. So it makes me wonder... what more could i have done?
Old 08-16-2009, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Bamamomma90 - I'm so sorry about your daughter. My daughter is in a sorority at Bama and grades do play a big part in recruitment, especially when some houses have to make huge cuts the first round. They had to cut 50% the first round.
I hope she will try again next year, get to know girls in different houses to know where she will fit in. Sorry again. We all hate to see our daughters hurt.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagirl29 View Post
Just to clarify, a good GPA doesn't guarantee a spot in a sorority at Bama... I had over a 4.0 GPA; was in various honor societies, SGA, community service organizations, sports, church, etc; had around 25 rec letters to the different sororities; knew some people inside a few of the sororities; and am well liked by many people. Still got dropped early this morning. So it makes me wonder... what more could i have done?
Did you list all the sororities that you preffed on your bid card?
Old 08-16-2009, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamamom90 View Post
Regarding the GPA of PNMs, the girls were told they can only rush if they have a 2.5 or better GPA. I am wondering if there are ANY sororities who would pledge a PNM with a GPA that low...........my daughter had a 2.9 overall and a 3.3 senior year, and was involved in everything known to God and man throughout high school.....also, she went to a private prep school that was very challenging. I am still shocked and sad that she was cut by so many chapters after Philanthropy Days.
If the by laws for these sororities state that they can only pledge a 3.0, this should be conveyed to the PNMs prior to recruitment. A lot of heartbreak and tears could be avoided.
Bamamom, I am sorry your daughter is hurting and I'm sure you are hurting for her. What I am going to say will not console her or you, but it may explain things.

First off Alabama Panhellenic does not have a minimum GPA requirement for anyone to go through Recruitment. However each individual Chapter does. I heard it directly from the Asst Director of Greek Affairs that Panhellenic attempted to educate the PNMs that the majority of the Chapters are looking for at least a 3.0. They did this at events like Spring Panhellenic Preview Weekend and Bama Bound. I do not know where or from whom you heard 2.5, but that was bad information.

Please keep in mind that some are looking for higher than a 3.0 now. Panhellenic average for last Spring was 3.24 and that is college courses. The sororities take their scholastic ranking very serious and it is very competitive. We all want our new members to help raise our average.

Second, each Chapter was provided with PNM GPAs from the Office of Admissions. If the University only had the Fall GPA from the PNMs original admission to the University, that is what we received. The AD of GA also informed us that Panhellenic was strongly encouraging PNMs to give their Rec writers a copy of their final transcript to be sent. We also received many transcripts sent directly from PNMs. Still, my Chapter probably only received transcripts for about 30-40%.

Third, if a PNM is from out of state odds are the Chapters have no idea which HS's are very difficult Prep Schools. Some Chapters will take this into consideration, but they have to know about it and it is not good enough for someone to just say it is. We need documentation to this effect and it should be communicated before Recruitment even starts.

Finally, we look at cumulative GPAs. If there were significant extenuating circumstances that caused one lousy semester/year to pull that down, some may take that into consideration. But again we need to know about it and it should be done before Recruitment.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
Did you list all the sororities that you preffed on your bid card?
I only was asked back to 2 of the sororities on pref night, and one of them was one that i just couldn't see myself being a part of at all. I had given them a fair chance just like the rest but couldn't make myself put them on the bid card. If that ONE thing is what caused me to not be in a sorority, then apparently I'm not supposed to be in a sorority. But looking back, the sororities that look for high GPA's and activities cut me pretty fast... that is what puzzles me.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

There's not a sorority at U of A that DOESN'T look for high g.p.a.s and many activities.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamamom90 View Post
My daughter had a rough 10th grade year, which pulled her GPA down significantly.....and I do understand that with 1500 young women going through recruitment, there has to be a method of reducing numbers....the sizes of these pledge classes is crazy!!!! At a WAY smaller college, we had 25 in mine, which was awesome, as I really felt like I got to know each one............but! This has just been such a big shock. When she went to the Tri Delt house on Open House day, she called me afterward and said, "This is it, Mom, I could tell they had done their homework, (read her recs) they knew all about me, and they knew I love St. Judes! I talked to 14 girls and they made me feel so comfortable. I loved them!" Then she was dropped. After being asked if her mom was coming to Bid Day, telling her how much fun they have, etc. I know it had to be a grade drop........but to an 18 year old freshman, this is just so devastating......she actually loved all the sororities and only felt that 2 or 3 might not be a good fit for her personally. I just can't believe that she isn't going to have this as part of her college experience.
I would also say that we are not from Alabama and my child did not know anyone going in....but geez, is this not part of the point? Getting to know new friends? I will stop whining.........I'm just still in shock and devastated for my baby.
At a school like Alabama where there is a very active Greek community, grades are important as well as recs and having a personal friend or acquaintance in the house who can push her. However, lots of girls get into sororities without knowing anyone, including out-of-state girls. To echo an earlier suggestion, here are some ideas to consider: work hard to get good college grades and consider going through this ordeal again as a sophomore, and consider continuous open bidding ("open rush") at the houses that offer that option. Getting to know some sorority girls through campus activities, the dorm, or classes is a great way to develop friendships and get an inside view of sorority life and a particular house, and what they may be looking for in a new member.

The week is very stressful for the girls, they're tired, and they get their hopes up. It can be a cruel disappointment not to get invited to join, but it isn't the end of the world. If it never works out, there are still so many things to get involved in on campus and many wonderful, wonderful people who never want to be Greek, cannot afford to be Greek, don't get invited, or never know enough about the process to pursue it. There are ups and downs to being Greek, and in the rosy glow of accepting a bid, many girls will later decide it isn't the heaven on earth they thought it would be. I hope your daughter will not give up, but try again. By the time she has been on the campus awhile, she may find it is a goal she wants to work toward, or she may find it loses its luster and she wants to direct her energies elsewhere. I wish her luck in whatever direction she decides to travel!
Old 08-16-2009, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Bamamomma90- So sorry that your daughter did not have a good experience. My daughter is in a sorority at Alabama. I spent many hours on the phone with her in tears this week. This was her first rush on the other side and it broke her heart to like girls and then see them cut. She called me Sun. morning at 3AM to tell me she had come to the realization that she wants to be a Rho Chi next year so she can comfort the PNM's.
I know of several sororities who have national GPA minimums; absolutely no exceptions. There have been many post on Greek Chat that if you have below a 3.0 you should work on your grades and rush after the pnm brings up the grade point average. Someone who is very active in nationals explained it to me that it was a disservice to the girl who needed to dedicate more time to studying to be pulled away by the mandatory pledge activates. That it could put the PNM at risk of being placed on probation by both the university and the sorority.
There were also several cases that I heard of this year where the Pan-Hellenic GPA did not reflect the Sr. year grades. The transcript GPA for these PNM reflected the grades of the semesters from the time the PNM applied to the college. It is important to get a rec and transcript to every chapter at competitive SEC schools.

Alabama does have an upperclassmen quota. I think I saw a chapter that had 8. She should try in again next year after she gets to know some girls in her dorm. It sounds like she would be an asset to any chapter.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I only was asked back to 2 of the sororities on pref night, and one of them was one that i just couldn't see myself being a part of at all. I had given them a fair chance just like the rest but couldn't make myself put them on the bid card. If that ONE thing is what caused me to not be in a sorority, then apparently I'm not supposed to be in a sorority. But looking back, the sororities that look for high GPA's and activities cut me pretty fast... that is what puzzles me.
Well, the thing with only putting one sorority oin your pref card is that you basically pin all of your chances on that one sorority. If that one sorority ends up not extending you a bid, you don't have a #2 choice. It's a risk.

But if you wouldn't have accepted a bid from that other sorority, then it's best that you didn't list them. However, some people do regret it because they decide later on that they really wanted to be in sorority and should have given that other group a chance.

Also, about your heavy cuts: grades are a huge deal at big recruitments like Bama. The chapters have to make big cuts and grades are one of the big deciding factors in the beginning.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, had you listed both sororities on your bid card and been honestly willing to accept a bid from either, according to the way Bama does placement, you'd be in a sorority today. That one thing did make a huge difference.

Since it seems that you preferred not getting a bid to getting a bid to that one group, it really cut your chances.

As far as the other aspects, there's no way to know why you were released. The groups are looking for a total package of excellent character, great grades, great activities, wonderful personality, cute appearance, and even then each group only gets to invite a certain number of young women to membership each year. If some of the other girls going through knew more members from high school, etc, that puts you at a little disadvantage sometimes.

Don't beat yourself up about it. You kept yourself eligible for COB if any are offered at the groups you are interested in.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I posted this in another Alabama Recruitment forum, but one of my rec girls went Pi Beta Phi!

I found out another PNM (didn't write her a rec be/c she had two already) dropped out of recruitment. She isn't bitter (she was a double legacy to one house and a legacy to another house). Her older sister and her mom had told her going into recruitment that because she had a lower GPA (around a 3.1) she might be released. So she did have a full pref party list but she felt that maybe it wasn't meant for her. But she's not bitter and her mother is optimistic for her. Two of her suitemates didn't rush (she's in a 4 person room) so she has friends to hang out with who aren't Greek. She is happy for her friends who did get bids. So, I'm glad she is at least okay and not totally devasted. When I spoke to her mom she told me that she was staying positive.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry bamagirl29 Feel better and look into COB opportunities or recruitment next year!
Old 08-16-2009, 09:03 PM

Just wondering:

Do Bama sororities usually have any COB/informal in the spring? I'd imagine that if they do, that the chapters don't typically have many openings. If they do, is it something that you'd have to know someone in the chapter to know they were having it?

I feel like Bama may be one of those schools where it's not openly publicized if there ARE COB events.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-16-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughters chapter at Alabama does not do COB bids even if they loose Fall Semester Graduates etc.