GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,234
3 members and 1,231 guests
JayhawkAOII, Sarak24034, Sen's Revenge

Old 11-04-2008, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
Getting Tested

Definitely a taboo topic but I just went to the doctor's today for an annual checkup and decided, after a conversation with my boyfriend last night, to get an HIV test.

I haven't been tested in 6 years. And I'm TERRIFIED. The last time I was tested I spent the week waiting in misery. Couldn't eat, couldn't focus on anything, nothing. Luckily things were fine. And now I'm back at square one- just tested, told it will take one but maybe 2 weeks, and "no news is good news." I feel like anytime my phone rings from now until December I'm gonna have a heart attack.

I don't have any particular reason to believe I have it. Just now every stupid, bad, and wrong decision ever made is at the forefront of my mind. I think of people I've hooked up with that I know and knew at the time were definitely on the sluttier side. And now I'm kicking myself for things, which I know is pointless except as a wakeup call for the future (which I'm in a serious relationship now anyway).

Another fear is that I was tested for STDs too, so I'm scared I'll get a call from the doctor, immediately assume the worst, and then have a positive result for something treatable. Still not something I want at all, but much easier to handle. I just don't think I can handle looking at my phone and seeing my doctor's number.

Has anyone else ever been in this situation? What did you do to not go absolutely insane while waiting for the results?

Last edited by WVU alpha phi; 11-04-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Not a taboo topic, and important topic that's hard to talk about.

First of all, that's a long freakin' time to wait for a test result! When I got tested last year, we had a result in less than a half hour. (mouth swab, then wait.) During that wait, I had conversations with people on my campus who I had never met or talked before in my life. We were crammed in a hallway in the health centre, waiting for our test results, all nervous as hell. Whenever someone got their results, sometimes they would jump up and down and hoop and holler, and people would clap. It was strange and supportive, and overall positive. The only part that sucked was that last .2 of a second before the clinician says, "your results are...." are KILLER. What happened after I got my (negative) result was we talked about why I was here, how I could avoid being there again, signs and symptoms of HIV/AIDS, and cards to give out to my neighbors with testing info.

OK, so, how you calm yourself is to do some research. How long has it been between partners (this is rhetorical, of course!) for you? For your partner? Most diseases have a "time frame" when symptoms will appear, although of course you may not have any symptoms but still be positive. Have your annual OB/GYN visits gone without incident? What about your partner's exams? I guess this is in the category of calculating your exposure risk.

Then of course, you've got to have the discussion of "what happens if one of us is positive for [insert disease here]? How will you deal with treatment? What are your support systems? How will you prevent it from being transmitted to your partner? How to contact your prior partners and alert them to your status?

After your results come back (Negative, hopefully! ), you've gotta start thinking about how to keep yourself out of the risk category. What can you do now that you didn't do before?

The waiting sucks dude, but you did a smart and brave thing. It is really easy to not get tested, but like those old psa's say, "knowledge is power".

Last edited by PhoenixAzul; 11-04-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, it's tough waiting for the "no news is good news." Then after a while, you're like "Well...no one called, sooooo..." I get tested every year with my annual exam (you know, pap smear, etc.)

It's not fun, but definitely important and worth it.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I got tested at some point in college. I didn't need to be, but I was president of the organization sponsoring the event--I was trying to encourage others to be tested by leading by example. I never got called back, but I would've liked to hear the "no" over the phone. Would've been nice. :shrug:

You did the right thing! Now, just focus on being tested WAY more often than every 6 years.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 11-05-2008, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

It's not a taboo topic but rather one people don't feel comfortable discussing even if many people here on GC have been tested. It's always a good idea to get tested. Better safe than sorry.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVU alpha phi View Post
Has anyone else ever been in this situation? What did you do to not go absolutely insane while waiting for the results?
Why is it taking a week? Usually it is ~24 hours for HIV test...

The other issue this kind of thing should not freak you out because you and your partner are using condoms--hayle get the ring, too...

And sexual intercourse if cool if you want to do it with some guy you want to hook up with for whatever reasons. However, protect yourself at all times.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 11-05-2008, 07:31 AM
GreekChat Member

It seriously took that long? I go every Valentine's Day, and it's never taken more than 20 minutes or so. I believe that if your test came in "Inconclusive" or "Positive," that the 6-day test would be taken.

My recommendation is that anyone who wants to be tested go to their gay community center or Planned Parenthood, because they're usually free or a low-cost donation. Plus, if you're a big blue socially liberal person like I, you're supporting a good cause.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:05 AM
GreekChat Member

It's taking a week because they are sending it to a lab along with the rest of my bloodwork. It's about the same amount of time as when I was tested before too.

I'm just praying I don't get the dreaded call for anything I was tested for. It doesn't help that only one of my friends that I've mentioned this to has been tested. I need someone to empathize and understand why I'm freaking out!

I'm seriously tempted to call the doctor and say forget it, I don't want the results. This wait is agonizing and it hasn't even been 24 hours. PhoenixAzul, thank you so much for all the advice. I'm just praying and hoping for good results. It would just be nice to know in a shorter amount of time. I've even considered going to a clinic today on my lunch break to get the mouth swab test since atleast that is faster!

Last edited by WVU alpha phi; 11-05-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm seriously tempted to call the doctor and say forget it, I don't want the results.
If you think getting a positive is bad, how good is this option? Let's try a different option.

Quote:
I've even considered going to a clinic today on my lunch break to get the mouth swab test since atleast that is faster!
There ya go. Best wishes and RELAX. High blood pressure is one more thing you don't want!

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 11-05-2008, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I made an appointment for both myself and my boyfriend at Planned Parenthood tomorrow evening after work.

He's been so supportive and optimistic, which I wish would rub off on me! He volunteered to go with me, and when I asked if he'd get tested, he said "absolutely, no reason not to." I wish I had his confidence and optimism that everything will be OK.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I got tested this year for the first time. I've only slept with my boyfriend. But his ex (from about 6 years ago) was a HO with a capital H and O. Even though he said that he was fine, I still did it for me. (negative)

Stay calm. No matter the results, you will get through it.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's great that so many people get tested for HIV...but what about those other STDs? Granted, none of them are as lethal as AIDS, but many can wreck your future fertility and we all know the HPV-cervical cancer link.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I get tested for other STDs annually when I go for a checkup. It's just part of what they do and I've never thought twice of it. The reason I was so concerned with HIV is because I hadn't been tested in so long.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Oh, my test included many other STDs as well. The Dr. wasn't even going to test me for HPV and some others and I was like "No, I want the full deal!" She kept "forgetting" some of them on the paper and I had to remind her like 3 times! I don't get it... Also, the receptionist wasn't familiar with the term "STIs" either.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I sort of understand what you are going thought.
As a blood & platelet donor, I get tested every time I donate.

Well, a few years ago, I received a form letter telling me that I had been deferred and telling me to look below for reason.

Well, given that it is human nature to focus on and look at things at top of any list that is just what I did. And my heart just about stopped.

On top of list, out of alphabetical order, was HIV.

If took me quite a few moments to realize that it was NOT checked off.

Next time I donated, I asked to speak with TPTB. Suggested that they come up with a better form. And they agreed with me.

In your case you did the right thing and you just need to wait it out.

However, do not do what I did. Read the whole test report.
"When you have reached the end of the road, then you can decide, whether to go to the left or to the right, to fire or to water. If you make those decisions before you have even set foot upon the road, it will take you no where... except to a bad end."
Palin:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgJA7lPkb1o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnsAU...eature=related

Last edited by Tinia2; 11-06-2008 at 03:38 PM.