GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,465
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, EmilOrtiz4
» Online Users: 1,779
0 members and 1,779 guests
No Members online

Old 02-21-2007, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

A couple of questions about recs...

I'm a little confused.

I know you guys get these questions all the time, but I couldn't really find the answer I'm looking for. I went to the national websites for the sororities that I need recs for, and I either found a list of Alumnae Chapters, or the e-mail addresses and number of specific women in a certain area. Would it be appropriate to e-mail and ask if they would be willing to write a rec for me? Then send a resume? Or should I call? Will they get in touch with me afterwards and let me know that they will?

Sorry if it's a stupid question. I'm just a little worried about whether I'm doing this right.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-21-2007, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, ideally, I think you could look for events in your area that allow you to met women from your area face to face. Then you can meet them and they can interview you and write the recs. You might be able to find out these event from one of the alumna contacts or from a local NPC group.

Have you already figured out which of the women that you know in real life are members of sororities?

ETA: http://www.npcwomen.org/alumnae/a_directory.php

If you go to that link, you could look for groups in your area that might have events.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:20 AM

The link above is a list of alumnae panhellenics. These groups exist to promote sorority life in the community. Alot of them have events specifically for HS students interested in sorority recruitment. Just look for the one closest to your city and click the link. At the least, there is contat info for sorority alumnae in your area that can try to answer your questions.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

The first thing to do if you are working on recs is to contact everyone you know-- adults and peers, and to tell them your plans to go through recruitment. Explain that you are looking to talk to alumnae from certain sororities. See who can connect you!

Next, you get together with those alumnae and discuss your intentions. Provide a social resume to them, which includes information about your grades and activities. You may also want to provide a high school transcript (a signed photocopy should be fine) and maybe a photo of yourself (just a regular, smiley photo is fine). Also give them the address of the sorority chapter at your university, so they can send the recommendation in to the chapter.

Once you have exhausted these resources and if you still are in need of recs for some of the sororities at your university, get in touch with the alumnae panhellenic in your area. They may be able to assist you with informational references for these sororities, or connect you to additional alumnae.

Good luck! If you're going to school in TX or a large Southern school, you will want to get recs for each sorority at your university.