GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,097
1 members and 2,096 guests
ztylersasd2082

Old 05-24-2010, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Just letting you know that I'm reading your story! You are a very good writer! I'm rooting for Pine!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-24-2010, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll root for Redwoods cause my campus was covered in them!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Great story and I'm positive I know where you go to school! Hurry with pref and bid day!!!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hootyhoo View Post
Great story and I'm positive I know where you go to school! Hurry with pref and bid day!!!
And another alter. Subtle choice for your first post.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
And another alter. Subtle choice for your first post.
Weird how that keeps happening in every recruitment stories thread.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

What do you mean alter? It is quite obvious where she goes to school from her first day of recruitment. Especially that she mentions and new chapter living in a old fraternity house. That gave it away right away.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Quote:
What do you mean alter? It is quite obvious where she goes to school from her first day of recruitment. Especially that she mentions and new chapter living in a old fraternity house. That gave it away right away.

Did it? I'm hoping she will reveal her school when she's done! But its up to her, either way, she has some amazing story telling skills!
Old 05-24-2010, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Of course. I know too. We both get cookies. Hoo frickidity hoo.

That's not the point. If the OP doesn't reveal the school herself, it's bad form to reveal it in the thread.

I find it interesting that you just joined GC and your first post is a "hehehe I know the school!". We've had a lot of off-color newbie first posts lately. It's not a coincidence.

ETA: Even if the school is really obvious, and even if alums of the school on GC are being really obvious about it, it is still bad form to reveal if the OP does not, because then the thread becomes searchable.

Last edited by violetpretty; 05-24-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Of course. I know too. We both get cookies. Hoo frickidity hoo.

That's not the point. If the OP doesn't reveal the school herself, it's bad form to reveal it in the thread.

I find it interesting that you just joined GC and your first post is a "hehehe I know the school!". We've had a lot of off-color newbie first posts lately. It's not a coincidence.
And at least 3 of them have been "what school?" "I've figured out what XYZ code names mean" "I know where you go to school!"

It's like there's a pattern!
Old 05-25-2010, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm really sorry I didn't realize there was a first post protocol. I've read a lot of these threads and can never seem to figure out what the school was so I guess I did get a bit excited when I immediately figured it out. Sorry again if my post was inappropriate.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

sigh... i want to figure out a school, just once!
Old 05-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
helen keller would have a better chance of figuring out what college than i would-i'm the worst, but then if it doesn't just pop into my head ,"oh she must be at xyz university" i don't go looking.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm really sorry I didn't realize there was a first post protocol. I've read a lot of these threads and can never seem to figure out what the school was so I guess I did get a bit excited when I immediately figured it out. Sorry again if my post was inappropriate.
There seems to have been a pattern emerging with new posters on recruitment stories exclaiming, "I know the school!" There's not a protocol, but it looks suspicious when that is your first post. As in, you registered for GC so you could tell the world you figured out the school. Apologies if this is coincidental. Many GCers and I think that these posts and new GCers are all one person's alter egos. Why don't you introduce yourself in the ChiO or KKG forum (since your username would suggest you are a member of one of those groups)?
Old 05-25-2010, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry to keep everyone waiting. I've been busy trying to find a summer job! Anyway, Preference Day arrived on a pretty, sunny Friday. However, my badly blistered feet needed some serious bandages, especially since I would have to bear the burden of heels this day. I put on one of my favorite dresses and hobbled along to the auditorium.

Although there were still hundreds of girls that day, it was clear that many girls, including several from my group had dropped from recruitment. It seemed like the PHA speakers talked twice as long today as any other day, but that was probably just a result of my nerves, which had been ever-increasing throughout the week.

Then, it was time for those little slips of paper to be passed out. It was so stressful and when I finally received mine I saw... Pine and Dogwood. I did not have a full schedule. I felt my face get very hot and my eyes well up with tears. All four other houses, including my beloved Redwood and the amazing Ginkgo, had cut me. My heart sank, but I knew the two chapters I did have were amazing, so I quickly pulled myself together and headed off to my last socials of the week.

Pine: When the members began walking out, I noticed I was wearing the same color dress, which made me feel slightly awkward. However, when I was picked up by the member I had talked to the previous day, my nerves began to settle. Only for a few seconds, as I tripped over a dip in the sidewalk, in front of several other PNMs, members, and Pi Chis. I was so embarrassed as I quickly grabbed my clutch, but another member in front reassured me that she had done the same thing earlier in the week. After, calming myself from that ordeal, we went into the house and sat to talk to the member. We were served a drink that I thought to be a non-alcoholic Pina Colada, though I never took a sip, as I feared the worst of getting the whipped cream all over my face. She and I talked about why she chose this chapter and in fact, she had the same choice to make on Preference Day. She explained that she just felt more connected to Pine than she had at Dogwood. Then, we were taken downstairs for a very touching ceremony, that made me really think about becoming a member of Pine. I left here without a wink for the first time the whole week, but knew I could see myself being a member.

Dogwood: After a break in my short schedule, I found myself outside waiting in line outside of Dogwood. The walkout began, and we were surprised to see the members wearing an outfit much different than the traditional black or white dress worn on pref day. This impressed me right away, and though I was usually one of the last people to be picked up outside, this day I was one of the first when my friend greeted me. I was so excited to have someone who I could talk to comfortably, especially on this stressful day. We had a great, relaxed conversation before the ceremony and were offered these really great fruity drinks. I was very thirsty, so it was quickly drank and the ceremony began. It was so touching and actually brought tears to my eyes. One of the seniors mentioned her random roommate freshman year, who became her sorority sister and best friend. This really hit home for me, as my random roommate was also attending Dogwood that day. My friend explained why she loved Dogwood so much, as she had come to college without her close friends, much like I had. When I told her it was my last social of the day, she asked if I knew what I was going to do. I said yes with a smile and although I realized my bandaids were falling out of my heels as I left, my embarrassment was outweighed with my happiness.

I quickly went to change into more comfortable clothes and left to go preference. For once during the week, I did not have to wait in a huge line and actually spoke with my Pi Chi who had witnessed my stumble at Pine. She was such a sweetheart and really settled my nerves. I signed the necessary papers as I preferenced 1. Dogwood 2. Pine.

The next twenty-four hours were very overwhelming as I waited for a knock on my door or a ring on my cellphone from my Pi Chis letting me know I'd been released from recruitment. I was so overwhelmed from the entire week and knew it wouldn't be over until I had a bid (if I received one at all) in my hands. This was the most restless night, by far of the long week.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
This is the first one I have EVER figured out. Quite proud of myself. OP, I'd love to hear more!