GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,121
1 members and 2,120 guests
fmanning

Old 01-17-2016, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

A Few Recruitment Questions

Okay so this Spring I started formal recruitment at my school. I'm still going through it and have about 4 houses left but none of them were my top choices. I received a bunch of cuts the first round due to my GPA being on the lower side and I also am a sophomore. The sororities that I have left I can not see myself enjoying and every time I talk to girls in them we just don't match up. At my school this year ZTA is colonizing and I want to also go out for them which means I can not accept any other bids. I think it would be awesome to be a founding member but they too have values. I set up a 1 on 1 meeting with on of the recruits and even though my GPA is on the lower end I am able to justify it because I did very bad in a 4 credit class which I am now retaking to replace the old grade and I feel much more comfortable with my professor this semester. I feel like the 3o minutes we got to talk to a girl in all of the other chapters did me no justice because I did not talk about my grades with them so they had no idea that my GPA is a work in progress. I also am in a lot of clubs and organizations on campus and play a club sport. I was wondering if I should even try to become a part of a colonizing sorority or if I should just stay away because of my GPA.

(yes my GPA is high enough to meet the requirements to rush)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-17-2016, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.m View Post
Okay so this Spring I started formal recruitment at my school. I'm still going through it and have about 4 houses left but none of them were my top choices. I received a bunch of cuts the first round due to my GPA being on the lower side and I also am a sophomore. The sororities that I have left I can not see myself enjoying and every time I talk to girls in them we just don't match up. At my school this year ZTA is colonizing and I want to also go out for them which means I can not accept any other bids. I think it would be awesome to be a founding member but they too have values. I set up a 1 on 1 meeting with on of the recruits and even though my GPA is on the lower end I am able to justify it because I did very bad in a 4 credit class which I am now retaking to replace the old grade and I feel much more comfortable with my professor this semester. I feel like the 3o minutes we got to talk to a girl in all of the other chapters did me no justice because I did not talk about my grades with them so they had no idea that my GPA is a work in progress. I also am in a lot of clubs and organizations on campus and play a club sport. I was wondering if I should even try to become a part of a colonizing sorority or if I should just stay away because of my GPA.

(yes my GPA is high enough to meet the requirements to rush)
The only way to get a bid is to go out for the colony, but I would at least stick it out with the chapters you have left through Pref night before you decide to drop. The chapters you still have like you enough to keep inviting you back despite your GPA and sophomore status, and sometimes Pref can completely change your opinion on a chapter. I find it hard to believe that you have four chapters left and have not enjoyed talking to any of them. As a sophomore with a low GPA, you don't have the liberty of picking favorite chapters before recruitment-all the power is in the hands of the sororities.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
The only way to get a bid is to go out for the colony, but I would at least stick it out with the chapters you have left through Pref night before you decide to drop. The chapters you still have like you enough to keep inviting you back despite your GPA and sophomore status, and sometimes Pref can completely change your opinion on a chapter. I find it hard to believe that you have four chapters left and have not enjoyed talking to any of them. As a sophomore with a low GPA, you don't have the liberty of picking favorite chapters before recruitment-all the power is in the hands of the sororities.
The girls who I have been paired with in those chapters to talk with I have just had nothing in common with them. I love the actual houses like they are beautiful and of course I'm going to go through the entire process but at the end I'm not gonna force myself into a sorority I do not want to be in.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:42 PM

One girl isn't the whole chapter. As rush goes on and parties get smaller, you will likely have a chance to talk to more people.

Also, a colony might not look kindly on your dropping out when you had 4 sororities left to visit, especially with your grade issues.

ETA: You might want to edit the identifying details from your introductory post.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Bottom line - Give formal recruitment at least one more day. You could drop out as late as after the pref parties. You'd have to drop immediately after the parties - you can't wait until you have a bid in hand.
But at least you've looked at everybody thoroughly.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Bottom line - Give formal recruitment at least one more day. You could drop out as late as after the pref parties. You'd have to drop immediately after the parties - you can't wait until you have a bid in hand.
But at least you've looked at everybody thoroughly.
I agree. And if you do decide to withdraw from formal recruitment and do not sign a binding agreement card, I hope you do decide to pursue membership with the new colony. And, I am pretty sure that they would not know that you had 4 houses to choose from at some point unless you volunteered that information...

Good luck and please consider staying in recruitment through preference round, if you have that option.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Think long and hard before you drop any houses you may have on preference night. A colony is not a guarantee of a bid. They do look at grades, they look at how prospective members will fit into their group. They want leaders not just followers. They want women who have the time to devote to the organization without their grades suffering-- after all your main purpose for attending your school is to get an education. They can only take a set number of women and there can be double, triple, quadruple number of qualified women attempting to join their organization.

Chapters today are HUGE. There are lots of different women with lots of different interests. Once you join an organization and real time with them, you will definitely find women who you will become close.

DaffyKD
Old 01-18-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug12 View Post
And, I am pretty sure that they would not know that you had 4 houses to choose from at some point unless you volunteered that information...
They might ask, and if they did, she should probably tell the truth.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I don't know what your GPA is, but if you got cut hard for GPA, the colony route will be tough. It's the first thing we go for to cut down a large pool. Also, I can't imagine "not feeling it" with 4 houses. FOUR?! One, maybe two, but four?!