GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,131
3 members and 2,128 guests
LaneSig, Xidelt

Old 02-11-2006, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I luv y'all

I would ask you to reread the original email (reposted below) which was sent to the CU Pres and Coach, copied to several media people, and posted to GC.

It included the players names, obtained from the team's website, since there were only three freshmen on the team and their names matched the photos - Dana, Ash, and Mal. This was establishing that it was the CU volleyball team, and only freshmen were involved. The names of varsity athletes are not secrets.

The webshots site labeled two of the pictures "initiation". It was not my accusation that there was hazing, the photo poster "Kmas" did that.

I am not ashamed that I found these "initiation" pictures, and that I sent them to CU, media, and GC. If they had been sent anonymously, I doubt if they would have gotten any attention.

If they had not been sent to the media, and the media had not followed up, it would have been too easy for CU to ignore.

In response to my media email, I received several questions from a reporter, and I verified my name and town. After that was published, several tracked me down via phone.

I agreed to respond to email questions, and these became quotes in newspapers and TV.

Please read the original email:
==============================
To: OfficeOfThePresident@cu, Volleyball coach
Subject: Volleyball hazing at U Colorado

There are three freshmen on the Univ. of Colorado womens volleyball team this year:
(names removed)

During the pre-season, these three girls were "initiated" at a volleyball party, with a keg of beer. Pictures of the initiation were posted on a public Webshots.com page by "Kmas" (a senior player).
http://community.webshots.com/album/428199875bCpGKZ (Vballers Preseason '05)

These freshmen are not of legal age to consume alcohol. A few of the posted pictures:

1 - Group pic!! at Nicole's for Initation...
2 - Dana, Ash, and Mal. Such good sports...
3 - Freshmen Initiation... A Camel, Squirrel, and Black Panther.
4 - A Classic Shot: The Squirrel gettin in her first keg stand.

The Univ. of Colorado has had major problems with hazing and alcohol in a few Fraternity chapters, and has forced the closure of several offending chapters.

Hopefully, they will take decisive action with this athletic team to end hazing.
================================

CU's coach has responded that it was not hazing and not drinking, but the media seem to be printing his and CU's comments as near unbelievable. And I feel they are unbelievable. More stories are coming.

I sent some information and pictures, and I hope the truth comes out.

I am not obsessed with hazing, but I am anti-hazing in GLOs and athletic teams. I hope you are too. If you are, why are you harassing someone who's on your side? Join the crusade - send a letter or email to CU or the local media.

If creditable evidence is presented that this wasn't hazing, I'll try to find it and share it with you.

For example, ex-lurker posted a Wichita charge against the Phi Delts. Later, when the full story came out, I posted it:

==================================

http://www.kake.com/news/headlines/2280381.html

A WSU fraternity says images of a young man duct taped to a staircase have been blown out of proportion. An exclusive KAKE On Your Side investigation first broke the hazing investigation. The pictures are disturbing and conjure up stereotypes of an animal house style fraternity. A young man is bound to a chair, tied up and appears to be force fed. In another image, he appears to be duct taped to a staircase bannister inside the Phi Delta Theta house. Chapter Advisor Brian Carduff says it's a huge misunderstanding.

The University's Vice President for Campus Life says the pictures are still concerning. The National Fraternity says it's investigation is closed, saying "The Subject was a willing participant in juvenile actions and nothing more." Parents of Phi Delta Theta members say they hope the members will take something positive from the experience.

As the news spread throughout campus, the fraternity members members we talked to (none from Phi Delta Theta) said no matter what the pictures actually were, they don't represent WSU Greek Life.
============================

If you want to ignore my posts, feel free.

Luv, y'all.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-12-2006, 01:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ariesrising
So despite the university saying your allegations were unfounded, you continue to post the names of these people in a public forum without their permission? Yet you object to your own name being posted, despite admitting here that you allowed it to be used all over the press?

I have never seen such a level of hypocrisy in my life.
Perhaps you need to start looking up definitions for words.

It is not the simple naming of names that is being opposed and against the rules of Greekchat. Names are used daily and repeatedly.

It is the unwanted posting of another Greekchat user's info, especially in a context of using that info as some sort of "Weapon".

Again, there are pictures of kids that are not over 21 doing kegstands in an event called "Initiation". The University simply said that the student denied she was drinking (not plausible at all) and that they were taking her word for it. That is all that happened.

-Rudey
--Group think is dangerous, as is inappropriate use of the English language.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So despite the university saying your allegations were unfounded,

Actually, only the Athletic Dept. said that:

"The CU athletic department investigated the pictures and determined no hazing or underage drinking occurred.
"The pictures were forwarded to CU's Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs who will determine if further investigation is necessary."

Hopefully the CU VC, who may have a more realistic view, plus lots of experience dealing with GLO hazers, will think - in spite of the claims that the girl, still wearing the squirrel costume, with the keg tap in her mouth, was not drinking - that photos don't lie. Perhaps the CU VC will realize that there is no such thing as ice-water pong, it's beer pong. Time will tell.

you continue to post the names of these people in a public forum without their permission?

"Continue" ??? They were posted on GC once, and probably deleted by a moderator within a half-hour. I was notified and agreed. I haven't seen the names in any media report.

Yet you object to your own name being posted, despite admitting here that you allowed it to be used all over the press?

My name was only being posted to harass me, and that is a violation of the TOS.
I did not seek publicity, as Hank Nuwer and the ilk do, but an anonymous email wold not be taken seriously.

I have never seen such a level of hypocrisy in my life.

I have never seen such a level of personal attacks without merit. Do you think three freshman girls should be dressed in costumes, paraded thru the campus village singing the school song? Do you think they have the ability, during their first week on campus and while trying out for the varsity team, to refuse "suggestions" by the team's veterans?

Last edited by hoosier; 02-13-2006 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
His name was posted in the context of an article he freely consented to being named in.
The sky is blue.

I can also say irrelevant things that don't address the conversation.

Re-read what I wrote.

-Rudey
--If you were to put him on ignore, you wouldn't be upset.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
I don't know why people are arguing with Delta Alum and Rudey over this issue. They are absolutely right.

I have a volume of published work thats easily found. Others of you on here are published also.

Many of you have been noted in various media.

Some of you have been in pageants. Some of you have won spelling Bs. Some of you have been in other events covered by the press.

But you come onto Greek Chat, create a user name, and bask in a limited internet anonymity.

Can't we respect that?

Or are we all fair game if someone gets pissed off at us?

If abccutie writes for the Times and someone posts an article that she wrote . . thats cool. ITs not cool to tell everyone that Jane Doe is abccutie and wrote the article.

If for someone reason you inadvertantly out someone, and that person wants their name deleted, that seems only right.

I personally have posted stuff written by Greekchat lurkers, I just didn't tell anyone they were on Greek Chat.

I am surprised that anyone needs this explained.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
I think if you make it obvious to who you are, then yeah you are fair game. Many people know where I'm from, what campus, and my first name. More than a few people on here know my first and last name... that's my own fault for making those things known and obvious.

KLTC
Old 02-12-2006, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Doesnt everyone have a hot button about a particular interest whether they be on Greek Chat or not?

Mine is Alum relationships with chapters.

So hoosiers is anti hazing.

As I have said manytimes, I get reports daily from Accounts stating what has happened concerning Greeks and at what College.

hoosier is not the only one who posts these types of hazing events, He just posts them more often.

If you want to be irate, why be irate with Him and not for the people who did the hazing.

I just think if hazing is done in high school, then it will transfer into college or life in general.

I had an eye opening experience this weekend at The Pitt with Alum Advisory Board and a Chapter consultant. We are rebuilding and some of our New Associates were from other GLOs on campus who found hazing rampant and left them. We were all dumb founded as they did not haze years before.

So, it is best to learn on here instead of reading about it or seeing in the local media, especially when it comes to Our own GLOs.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-12-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by James
I have a volume of published work thats easily found. Others of you on here are published also.

Many of you have been noted in various media.

Some of you have been in pageants. Some of you have won spelling Bs. Some of you have been in other events covered by the press.

But you come onto Greek Chat, create a user name, and bask in a limited internet anonymity.

Can't we respect that?

Or are we all fair game if someone gets pissed off at us?

If abccutie writes for the Times and someone posts an article that she wrote . . thats cool. ITs not cool to tell everyone that Jane Doe is abccutie and wrote the article.

If for someone reason you inadvertantly out someone, and that person wants their name deleted, that seems only right.

I personally have posted stuff written by Greekchat lurkers, I just didn't tell anyone they were on Greek Chat.

I am surprised that anyone needs this explained.
If someone else from Pittsburgh posted the multiple letters I've had printed in the local newspaper, then I would have a right to say "hey, by the way, don't mention that's me just cause I'd like to keep that info private."

However, if I post a link to MY OWN FRIGGING LETTERS and then get pissed because someone uses MY name that I DIRECTED them to - then that makes me pretty much a hypocritical idiot.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
If someone else from Pittsburgh posted the multiple letters I've had printed in the local newspaper, then I would have a right to say "hey, by the way, don't mention that's me just cause I'd like to keep that info private."

However, if I post a link to MY OWN FRIGGING LETTERS and then get pissed because someone uses MY name that I DIRECTED them to - then that makes me pretty much a hypocritical idiot.
If you don't like the TOS of GC and the way "John - Administrator" has administered, you can adopt my suggestion to "ignore" or start your own GCII.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
If you don't like the TOS of GC and the way "John - Administrator" has administered, you can adopt my suggestion to "ignore" or start your own GCII.
In the alternative, we can help John see the error of his ways while alerting the world (including our organizations and universities) of your antics before you falsely accuse anyone else of hazing.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
In the alternative, we can help John see the error of his ways

He's much smarter than you, but you can try.

while alerting the world (including our organizations and universities) of your antics before you falsely accuse anyone else of hazing.
Define hazing:

"making newcomers dress inappropriately in public"
"causing them to be humiliated"

A casual and intelligent reader would conclude the Colorado Volleyball Team was hazing the newbies.

You are throwing around "falsely" rather recklessly.

Let's see what action the CU VC takes.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I would like to know why my posts were deleted.

It was a simple reponse to Hoosier's post.

It did not violate the TOS...

I find this hilarious.

Don't say anything to Hoosier. He'll cry to the mods and have your post deleted because it did not jive with his anti-hazing crusade!
Old 02-13-2006, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier

"causing them to be humiliated"

A casual and intelligent reader would conclude the Colorado Volleyball Team was hazing the newbies.

Again, you were not there to know what exactly went on. Instead, you have been sticking your nose into other people's business.

A casual and intelligent person would conclude that since they were not there they can't really say that these people were truly involved in hazing or not. They COULD have been having fun.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

I can't help but wonder if an anti-hazing campaign, showing that many other organizations haze more than greeks, is best posted on this message board. It's preaching to the pulpit, and would probably be better served on a board that doesn't cater to greeks.

Nobody likes hazing, and to their credit, most fraternities & sororities (especially those in the NPC & IFC) have banned it. So, except in extreme cases (as when I was used as an example of someone who was hazed because I had to answer telephones), I don't see the fascination with posting valuable information where it's considered overkill.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Be careful Honeychile! You have posted something in opposition to Hoosier. You will most likely find your last post to be deleted soon.