GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,531
1 members and 1,530 guests
annetaedarky158

Old 02-08-2006, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

And there is the difference.

By A Natinonal and a College.

If not by a National, then that is a big difference.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-08-2006, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
All groups on my former campus (The University of Guelph) are unrecognized by the university.

We are, however, recognized by our respective HQ's.

There is one local sorority.

Last edited by Lady Pi Phi; 02-08-2006 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Alot of Fraternities have chapters that are not recognized. My organization Zeta Psi certainly has a few. There is nothing at all wrong with that. In fact out of the 95% of the chapters in Canada are not recogized in anyway by the Universities. A kind of don't ask don't tell policy. We hold seperate events, and in some cases are not even listed as a student club, or organization. If oyu think back to the history of Greek Organizations we were founded as 'secret societies.' Not being recognized by the university does not mean no chapter can exist at the campus. As long as the chapters are recognized by our international headquarters and follows all of the same rules and policies of other chapters, there is no difference.

Last edited by CanadianZete; 02-09-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

It depends on the circumstances with us. Some charters get yanked when that happens, but if its BS then IHQ will have our brother's backs.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Quala67
For Alpha Phi Omega, a chapter must be recognized by the University *and* the National Office. If the University or College rescinds recognition, APO will de-activate that chapter. Chapters shall not operate without recognition of both entities.

Alumnus, Zeta Beta/Va Tech and ADI/VCU
Advisor, Alpha Beta Omega/ODU, Phi Mu/NSU, & AZPhi/Regent U
Old 02-09-2006, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quala67

Sorry, but there is a big difference between a Social Greek Organization and a Service Organization.

What APO wants to do is their decision and no one elses. I think that the director of APO may have a major dsecission in this. Bob London come to mind?

I am not saying it is all bad by APO as My Chapter is closed at NWMoUn.

Ask IHQ of APO some serious questions!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-09-2006, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Quala67

Sorry, but there is a big difference between a Social Greek Organization and a Service Organization.

What APO wants to do is their decision and no one elses. I think that the director of APO may have a major dsecission in this. Bob London come to mind?

I am not saying it is all bad by APO as My Chapter is closed at NWMoUn.

Ask IHQ of APO some serious questions!
Look.

You are FOREVER trying to create division between General Fraternities/Sororities and Recognition Fraternities (service, non-collegiate, etc). It's OLD and it's TIRED. If Quala has something to add to the discussion, then GREAT! I think that we can learn from each other, regardless of the TYPE of GLO we are.

And yes, I know you're a MEMBER of APO, but gee it would be nice if you started acting like our BROTHER rather than our enemy.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

As far as I can tell, NPHC organizations are similar to APO in regard to recognition of chapters. You won't really see an active chapter at a school that doesn't recognize it UNLESS the school is one of several on a city-wide, core, or metropolitan chapter. For example, one might be enrolled at a school that doesn't recognize Greek life, but individuals may still join through a city-wide chapter that is chartered at a neighboring university.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I
Look.

You are FOREVER trying to create division between General Fraternities/Sororities and Recognition Fraternities (service, non-collegiate, etc). It's OLD and it's TIRED. If Quala has something to add to the discussion, then GREAT! I think that we can learn from each other, regardless of the TYPE of GLO we are.

And yes, I know you're a MEMBER of APO, but gee it would be nice if you started acting like our BROTHER rather than our enemy.

No, what You so dont seem to understand, there is a difference.

I will never belittle any Organization especially Service Organizations. They Can and Will Do a Tremendous Involement in The College Community.

But, there is a difference and be honest about it!

Social and Service as it were.

Yes Social Organizations do a lot of good service dont they.

But, I percieve the main difference as what can be done on the local campus as I did.

I am far from being an enemy of any Service Organization and Never forget that!

Can We Learn from each Other, Of course and should!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-09-2006, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
...What APO wants to do is their decision and no one elses...
Tom, I don't know why you would even say this. Yes, APO is a idfferent type of organization but it is not less valid than yours or mine or the Junior league, or Boy Scouts, etc., etc.

And the above statement is meaningless. Of course it's up to APO to decided what their rules will be, just like it's up to your orgs. HQ to decide what their rules will be.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by techzbt
some of those may be colonies that were colonized without the consent of the school's fraternity council. Councils are supposed to support and recognize any national fraternity's colonization, but being men and worried about competition, they sometimes don't. And sometimes the administration is worrying about the greek system getting "too big".

I off hand know that ZBT's colonies at Florida State and UCF aren't recognized by their universities for this reason.
This is a good point. And I should mention I have read that if you National organization is a member of NIC technically your chapter can not vote against the expansion of greek life on your campus.

KA ALUM
Old 02-23-2006, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

I believe that there is a chapter at BU operating without University recognition. That is a result of BU not accepting anymore orgs at this point though, not anything that Pike did wrong.