GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,566
3 members and 1,563 guests
mlanderson, naraht

Old 12-15-2005, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Re: my experience with the GRE

Quote:
Originally posted by Private I
1. the math is the exact same level of difficulty as the SAT

2. the verbal is much more difficult than that of the SAT

3. if you grew up in a country that does not have multiple choice tests (e.g. ME), you will most likely not do fantastically overall, BUT your math will outshine your verbal easily, even if you are bad at math in general
Really? My verbal was way, waaaaaaay higher (by about 200 points) than my math score. I thought the math was hard...but I've always been really bad at math.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-15-2005, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

What exactly is covered in the math section? I've had up to Calc 2 so should I be okay.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Quote:
Originally posted by Phigirl04
What exactly is covered in the math section? I've had up to Calc 2 so should I be okay.
Algebra and geometry. I went through Calc 4, and hadn't done geometry since freshman year of high school, so I had to go back and review some of those theorems.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

make sure you at least do the CD or practice tests you can download from the site. The math can be odd if you have never seen stuff like that before (or in a while). There are a bunch of graphs, and word type problems. The verbal was better for me as well, though some of those words you have never ever heard of. I think tests like the GRE don't show much because it can definately be a trained test (like you can improve a lot if you take a review course or memorize the words). I know a lot of schools set a 1000 point minimum because they know some people dont prepare at all, while others do, etc..good luck either way.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Interestingly enough, my verbal was 40 points lower than my math, and I was in the upper 80th percentile in verbal, as opposed to just maybe 51st percentile in math.

My friend is in grad school for English now and still can't get over the fact that he did exceptionally better on the math than the verbal.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

My math score was about 150 points higher than my verbal, and I stink at math, so who knows
Old 12-16-2005, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Did anyone take the class to prepare? If so was it helpful, what is the best advice you have to prepare for it?
Old 12-16-2005, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Phigirl04
Did anyone take the class to prepare? If so was it helpful, what is the best advice you have to prepare for it?
I just used GRE prep books.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, can somebody please explain how the GRE works? Is it like the SAT, where there was a general test with math and verbal, then a subject test? Because I bought the GRE for Psychology, but then I've seen books that just focus on math and verbal.....do you take all 3 in one test, or is it like there's a general, then you register for the subject test seperately? I'm gonna surf the sites, but in the meantime, can somebody break it down for me?

Please and thank you

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 12-17-2005, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Quote:
Originally posted by christiangirl
Ok, can somebody please explain how the GRE works? Is it like the SAT, where there was a general test with math and verbal, then a subject test? Because I bought the GRE for Psychology, but then I've seen books that just focus on math and verbal.....do you take all 3 in one test, or is it like there's a general, then you register for the subject test seperately? I'm gonna surf the sites, but in the meantime, can somebody break it down for me?

Please and thank you
The General GRE is similar to the SAT, there is a verbal section and a math section, as well as a writing section, where you have to write 2 essays. They also throw in a section of "experimental" questions that aren't scored, so you will end up with either two verbal sections or two math sections, but only one will be scored.

There are also subject tests, depending on the area, and all the questions come from that discipline. For example, I'm in Chemistry, and a lot of grad schools require or "encourage" students take the Chemistry GRE exam. I think its the same for some other technical areas.

Yes, you would register for a subject test separately from the general GRE.

If you are NOT taking a subject test, then I would recommend using "GRE for dummies". It helped me a lot, and gave lots of tips about maximizing your score on the computer-based test.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey i have a GRE score of 1310 ( 560 VA, 750 QA, 4 Analytical).
How good is this score to get into a decent Engineering GRad school? i am a B.Tech in Civil Engineering. I have a TOEFL score of 277.