GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,796
2 members and 1,794 guests
MSKKG, PiperJarma

Old 08-09-2004, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

"Trading Spaces"/"While You Were Out" Back-to-School

I know this may qualify for the entertainment forum, but I'm wondering if anyone watched "While You Were Out" and "Tradings Spaces" this past weekend. It was a "back-to-school" weekend. On "While You Were Out," they re-did a room in the Phi Delta Theta lodge at University of Richmond, and on "Trading Spaces" they re-did the dining rooms of the Delta Gamma and Kappa Alpha Theta houses at Northwestern. Both showed Greeks in a very positive light.

On "Trading Spaces," both the Thetas and the DGs came across very positively. Frank (the designer) had no end of good things to say about how impressed he was with the DGs he worked with. And host Paige didn't fall into the "silly sorority girl" stereotype like she has in the past.

But even better was "While You Were Out": host Evan Farmer had brothers reciting the "Cardinal Principles" of Phi Delta Theta, and he ended by saying that they usually work with families, but this time they were working with what was really a special kind of family -- a brotherhood.

Really good PR for Greeks in general and for Phi Delt, DG and Theta in particular.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I also watched both of these and have watched all of the greek episodes in the past...and I must say that these new episodes have been the best so far for greeks! I was just telling a woman who works here in my office about the episode-- she is a Delta Gamma and her daughter is a Kappa Alpha Theta! She excited to watch the rerun now! I am so proud of the way greeks were portrayed...and to add to what you said about Frank, it was so cute when he said he wants to know when they get married, etc. Go Trading Spaces-- and Go Greek!
Old 08-09-2004, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Anybody know when that "Trading Spaces" episode will run again? I was out of the house last night and couldn't watch. Thanks!
Old 08-09-2004, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

The website said 4pm tuesday aka tomorrow!
Old 08-09-2004, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Little E
The website said 4pm tuesday aka tomorrow!
That's 4:00 pm EDT. Check your listings if you're in a different time zone.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
I posted this in the DG forum in our trading spaces thread, but I'll post it here too:

No offense to the Theta's (since they were just following the designers instructions)...but the DG room was just horrible. I mean, by far the most ugly room I've seen on Trading Spaces. What were they thinking? The Theta room turned out beautiful, but the DG room looked so bad. Who thought that a purple/green color scheme was a good idea...and WHO PAINTS A piano white with silver glitter?!?!?!! You can't just CUT chair arms off...and the cloth on the floor was horrid. I feel so bad for the DG's at North Western...they must have had to work hard to re-do it...again.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:46 PM
peanutttu

No offense either, but I was very displeased with the outcome of the DG room.

Who puts that silver fringe from your light fixtures?!?!? The stuffed animals????

Just like one of the DGs in the show said, 'I feel like I'm in a little kid's room.'

I wonder if they left the room the way it was or did they make some adjustments?!?!
Old 08-09-2004, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

We wondered about that too on the Theta forum, and one DG told us that they had already repainted it, since it was a weird lavendar color...I don't blame them! I'm sure they have made other adjustments, too.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Ditto on the DG room....really bad. The Theta room though was beautiful! I think Frank really enjoyed doing the sorority house

Did anyone else notice what Paige said during the key/paddle swap when the girls were hugging? "Oh, now they like eachother!" (Or something like that) and her and Ty hitting eachother on the butt with the paddles? That was pretty tasteless.

Oh...that Phi Delta room was HORRIBLE! (Lime green walls and painted wood floors??WTF??)The AOPi's got the better deal in that trade!
Old 08-09-2004, 01:23 PM
peanutttu

Quote:
Originally posted by Rio_Kohitsuji

Oh...that Phi Delta room was HORRIBLE! (Lime green walls and painted wood floors??WTF??)The AOPi's got the better deal in that trade!

The epsiode with lime green walls was a re-run. That was hideous!!! I could barely stand to look at it the first time I saw it. Seeing it again was horrendous. What were they thinking???? Just like the guys said, "Looks like Austin Powers!"
Old 08-09-2004, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Kind of related -- I just saw an episode of Designers' Challenge on HGTV where they did a Chi Omega tv room. It was SO gorgeous!
Old 08-09-2004, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't like it when Paige and what's his face exchanged paddle hits with each other...other than that the Theta room was so pretty! The DG room, was a bit juvenille but I liked the light up letters, very neat!
Old 08-09-2004, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rio_Kohitsuji
Ditto on the DG room....really bad.
Ms. MysticCat81 and I totally agreed -- a dreadful room designed by someone who seemed to have no clue what functions the room serves. Ms. MysticCat81, ever the loyal Kappa, was of the opinion that Laurie (also a Kappa) would have done a much better job.

Quote:
It was a Delta Upsilon room (and an AOPi room) at Cal-Berkley, not Phi Delt. The Phi Delts (at Richmond) were on "While You Were Out" the night before.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OleMissGlitter
I didn't like it when Paige and what's his face exchanged paddle hits with each other.
I wasn't paying to much attention to them -- if you looked behind them, you could see the Phi Mu Alpha house (Iota Chapter).
Old 08-09-2004, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Where can we see pictures of these rooms?