GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,341
0 members and 2,341 guests
No Members online

Old 04-06-2004, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Grad Students in Undergrad Chapters

Should graduate students be allowed to join undergrad chapters?

Many are on campus full-time, join student organizations, and form relationships with undergraduates as it is....many grad students are close in age and experience with undergraduate members....why shouldn't they also join or transfer into undergraduate chapters if they wish?

This is open for anyone to answer.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-06-2004, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Well Zeta allows graduate members to be associate members of undergraduate chapters if there are no graduate chapters in the area. But these women are usually already members of the sorority.

I don't think graduate members should be transferring/applying for membership into an undergraduate chapter if there is a grad chapter in the area.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Interesting...

Good question bruh, especially since I plan to attend grad. school in the fall. Although I understand that in some cases, grad. students are close in age to their undergraduate counterparts, most grad. students are around the age of 30 yrs. old in the U.S. I truly believe that the undergraduate experience is unique and is so because of the "development" that occurs in between post secondary and BA levels of education. Not to mention the extremely social side of the undergrad. experience. If there is a grad. chapter in the area. I feel that the aspirant should pursue admission into that chapter. If not, I would entertain a discussion of undergraduate intake, but the criteria for both levels need to be clear and unwavering. As greek groups we need not short change grad. chapters of potenial members.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to msn4med1975 Send a message via Yahoo to msn4med1975
Actually, and this may just be my experience in Texas and now Indiana, most grad students are no more than a year or two removed from the undergrad age group. Grad students are aging as folks come back for retraining but for the most part people are going straight through now. When I was working on my MA I was at best three years older than the average undergad. Now I'm sometimes younger than the folks I'm teaching undergraduate coursework and won't be 30 until six months after my FINAL degree is conferred.

Having said that, I don't think I would want to join an undergrad chapter NOW. Perhaps during my MA it would have made more sense because more of the chapter would have been closer to my age range. Riht now it's ALL about just helping out with the chapter as they need help.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Grad Students in Undergrad Chapters

Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I

Many are on campus full-time, join student organizations, and form relationships with undergraduates as it is....many grad students are close in age and experience with undergraduate members....why shouldn't they also join or transfer into undergraduate chapters if they wish?

Delta used to have such chapters--they were called mixed chapters. But we did away with them 30 years ago and developed strict criteria for joining an alumane chapter versus a collegiate chapter.. Don't know why, but something about them did not work well.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 04-07-2004, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Grad Students in Undergrad Chapters

Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I

No. This is why our organization has Graduate intake and sponsoring graduate chapters. If you want that UG relationship, join a UG Activities committee or council of a GRADUATE chapter.

After you graduate from college, if you are a grad student or not...IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON! IMO, of course. Most of the organization one joins SHOULD BE related to their GRADUATE courses/major.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Officially, I would want the person to be affiliated with a local grad chapter, but, to help bridge the gap, they would be a great person to be the undergrad advisor, and go to both meetings and serve as a liason.

Just b/c you've finished one degree, and you are trying to get additional education doesn't mean you should turn your back on the undergrads, or be turned away by them.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rho4life
Just b/c you've finished one degree, and you are trying to get additional education doesn't mean you should turn your back on the undergrads, or be turned away by them.
Except too many people take it to the extreme and that's when trouble happens. In Delta we have a term for it--the gypsy moth syndrome.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 04-09-2004, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Here in the Windy City trying to look cute with my hair blown all over my head.
Send a message via Yahoo to UpPinkies
If you graduate with a BA or BS, then it is time to move on. Join a graduate chapter or go general if fund are a little short, but still try to remain active within the organization. Now I have no problems supporting, helping out, or donating funds to your undergrad chapter.

If there is no graduate chapter where you are and you still want to be active, then ask if you attend meetings, help raise funds, attend events etc, but joining them...NO.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
crashing the thread!

Theta Nu Xi has Graduate, Alumnae and Professional membership for women who possess a bachelor's degree. This level of membership demonstrates a true desire for sisterhood, as well as a need to uphold our tenets throughout life. GAP Sorors are more mature and established than undergrads and, as such, are responsible for maintaining a classy reputation. The undergrad Sorors look up to GAP Sorors and need guidance and encouragement. OF COURSE, there is a lot of interaction because we're all part of the family, but GAP chapters were specifically established to serve the needs of older women and to help support our undergrad Sorors.

My conclusion: It's great to have interaction between Graduate and Undergraduate members, but there needs to be a line so that Undergrads can grow and have their fun and Graduates can network, socialize and uphold tenets.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to treblk
Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
Except too many people take it to the extreme and that's when trouble happens. In Delta we have a term for it--the gypsy moth syndrome.
Oh Soror ladygreek, I know many gypsy moths, and at once I was one, until I realized it was not doing anyone any good.

However I agree that once one is done with undergrad, it's time to move on with our being shut out from the undergrad chapter. As long as the relationship is one of service and sister/brotherhood then it's all good.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by treblk
Oh Soror ladygreek, I know many gypsy moths, and at once I was one, until I realized it was not doing anyone any good.

However I agree that once one is done with undergrad, it's time to move on with our being shut out from the undergrad chapter. As long as the relationship is one of service and sister/brotherhood then it's all good.
I don't disagree that people need to move on at a certain point. That's why I think a young grad should still be a dues paying member of the grad chapter, but if they are still on campus [their own - or a different one] to do graduate work, then I think it's fine to welcome them at an undergrad chapter meeting, or undergrad events.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Grad/Undergrad?

IMHO, it depends on the person and the situation.

For instance, when I entered into my undergrad chapter I was a GRAD student. How you may ask? It was simple, I am registered in a 5 yr program where I receive my BS & MS within 5 yrs. The University never confers a degreee until you are finished with the entire program.

So thus I have never actually graduated, but all my transcripts and records indicate that I am clearly a GRAD student. I even received a letter from the Dean of the School of Business welcoming me to the Graduate School.

I received all my job offers including my current position based on the fact that I "have" or "have met the requirements for a B.S." .

When I applied, the question asked was do you have a degree, and that answer is NO (technically). Thus, I was admitted into the undergraduate chapter.

Though I am older than my LS's, when it comes to Alpha Kappa Alpha we are on equal footing. My eduational level nor my age interfere with any of our goals as a chapter.

I can see why my Sorors & fellow Greeks feel that Grad and Undergrad should be seperate. However, like I said it depends on the person and the situation.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Grad/Undergrad?

Quote:
Originally posted by O_SoPrettyNikki
IMHO, it depends on the person and the situation.

For instance, when I entered into my undergrad chapter I was a GRAD student. How you may ask? It was simple, I am registered in a 5 yr program where I receive my BS & MS within 5 yrs. The University never confers a degreee until you are finished with the entire program.

So thus I have never actually graduated, but all my transcripts and records indicate that I am clearly a GRAD student. I even received a letter from the Dean of the School of Business welcoming me to the Graduate School.

I received all my job offers including my current position based on the fact that I "have" or "have met the requirements for a B.S." .

When I applied, the question asked was do you have a degree, and that answer is NO (technically). Thus, I was admitted into the undergraduate chapter.

Though I am older than my LS's, when it comes to Alpha Kappa Alpha we are on equal footing. My eduational level nor my age interfere with any of our goals as a chapter.

I can see why my Sorors & fellow Greeks feel that Grad and Undergrad should be seperate. However, like I said it depends on the person and the situation.
I think that your situation is somewhat unique and not the norm. You most likely would not have qualified for grad intake without a degree having been conferred upon you and were admitted at the right level for your org. You belong where you belong. That's all.

I think a lot of people who only see the place for our orgs at the ug level want a way to still get that ug experience and always hope that as grad students (who are not eligible for ug initiation) they somehow can still get it. Some of those same folks are not interested in pursuing grad membership and to me that speaks volumes about their lifetime commitment.

I think the concern is not just who is brought in at the grad or ug level but about those members who are members when they show up for grad school and want to be overly involved with the ug chapter. They are coming with their own chapters traditions and expectations for better OR worse. Sometimes, these folks bring DRAMA and we all know what the climate is like for drama in BGLO's. The fact that these college grads are more interested in working with the ug chapter also reflects on how our orgs are doing at keeping the bond across generations and encouraging our younger members to feel comfortable and welcome in our graduate/alumni/alumnae chapters

Last edited by Kimmie1913; 04-12-2004 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
In Gamma Sig, if you are a graduate student at a school that already has an established chapter, you can join that chapter (or continue your membership there if you originally pledged at that chapter and you're still there for graduate work).

Because of that, we had to change our chapter designations. Instead of saying "undergraduate" we now say "collegiate".

Most of us who have graduated and want to help out with the collegiates can be Chapter Consultants (I'm the Consultant for the chapter at UGA).

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."