GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,377
2 members and 1,375 guests
AOIIalum, Titchou

Old 11-14-2001, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Spending Habits to change or not to change?

with all the lay offs, decline in transportation trust, anthrax scares, and war in the middle east do you plan to cut back on spending this holiday season, in light of this possibility, what are some inexpensive, creative gifts or ways to say i love you to friends and family this season.

1. i am sending cards to close relatives the 99 cents store or pic and save
and will make brief long distance calls to relatives on my cell (free long distance baby on the holidays. hopefully next year i can and will feel good flying home.

Last edited by AKA2D '91; 11-14-2001 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-14-2001, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

HEY, GIRL!

ummmmmmmm,
Do I know you, Soror? Who your momma 'nem?
Long time...no skee!
LMAO!

1. THE DOLLAR TREE
2. DOLLAR GENERAL
3. DOLLAR STORE

Now, I don't know about family peeps, but for colleagues, these are the places to be.

I know my momma and my nieces will have a hissy if I come up in there with something from the Dollar ANYTHING! (That's a no-no)

To answer the other question, NO, I haven't changed my spending habits.

Old 11-15-2001, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to korkscru Send a message via Yahoo to korkscru
CHANGE??!! Hey Ladies, that's the deal for me ALWAYS (even before these most recent issues in our nation occured). When you have two kids, two car notes, rent, babysitter, school supplies, diapers, bills, bills, bills, and did I say BILLS?., then places like DOLLAR GENERAL, DOLLAR STORE, SHOP 'N' SAVE, WAL-MART, FAMILY DOLLAR, PAYLESS, and every now and then GOODWILL are the places to be. I feel that these stores are blessings because they didn't have them back in the day.

Now don't get me wrong, I do have special items and products that I purchase that HAVETO come from specific stores. But it's ALL good. No one knows the real difference with certain things, items, or products UNLESS you tell them (and what would be the purpose for telling THAT?).

My Bishop once said that we tend to spend all of this money on things like cards (some costing $5.00 or more) only for the person to look at the card ONCE and then throw it away or to put it away never to be seen again). So what's the need? I see NOTHING wrong with buying less expensive cards (for example) as long as it conveys what we really want to say at the time we want to say it. That was very enlightening.

Besides, in this time of famine and pestilance, MY bible says that all who know Jesus will prosper REGARDLESS of what the economy looks like. So... knowing what I know, my answer is no my spending habits won't really change. I'm going to keep on spending like I spend and I'm going to keep on being blessed.
Old 11-15-2001, 01:50 AM
GreekChat Member

YES!

My change came before 9/11. Living from pay check to pay check was not my idea of living. Making over $55K and still in debt was crazy, so I chose to do something about it. Being unsecured debt free is the best thing.
I buy cards for .39 each, people rarely read them, and if you looking for Hallmark on the back, then you are just too shallow. I buy nice Christmas gifts, but I start the day after Christmas, and I try to but 1-2 gifts a month, cash only, catching things on sale.
I shop with coupons on sale items. I cook a lot frm scratch. How many pair of black shoes can you have, believe me too many. 5 years ago, I had 40 pair. I cleaned house, simplifying my life, donated to women shelters, salvation army, friends, etc. Stopped charging, closed out accounts, went from 7 Visa's to just 1 with a 9.9 interest rate. Driving a 7 year old car, instead of trading a car in every 2 years, got an emergency fund, money in the bank. I don't deprive myself, because I still travel, eat out on occassion, shop for clothes, give the baby, wedding, birthday, Christmas gifts, but I have taken control of my spending, and got my life back.
Old 11-15-2001, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: HEY, GIRL!

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91
ummmmmmmm,
Do I know you, Soror? Who your momma 'nem?
Long time...no skee!
LMAO!
I was thinking the SAME thing, LOL!

I haven't had a choice BUT to change my spending habits. Going from corporate america dollars to non-profit dollars is no joke.

I guess I'll be up in the dollar stores, too, lol.
Old 11-15-2001, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
I'll probably go the card route. When it comes to gifts, I only buy for my mother (on a three-way with sister and nephew), sister and nephew.
I've done that for years, even when I wasn't paying these SoCal rents. There was talk that the family was going to Bermuda for Xmas, but I don't haaaave the money to do so....
Old 11-15-2001, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm finished shopping and have already started paying the bills. The key is to catch sells during Labor Day. Now that I've spent a hell of a lot of money on gifts, I figure that my way of helping the economy. And before she asks, I do have a card for many of my conskeeted friends