GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,287
0 members and 2,287 guests
No Members online

Old 01-03-2009, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Informal Spring Rush as a sophomore at WVU

I was reading through the other posts and saw that most people have said that the bigger schools are more competitive, which gives anyone who is not a freshman a harder time getting a bid. I am a sophomore at West Virginia University, which has a fairly large greek system. I decided to go through formal recruitment in the fall but it didn't end up as I had hoped- I did not get a bid on the 1 sorority I had preffed, but I did get a bid from the one I did not (I did not take it because I didn't have to because I didnt write it on my card). This being said, I want to rush again in the spring but am not sure if it will be worth my time or not because I am a sophomore and I know its a lot harder to get a bid. I have a 4.0 GPA, am involved in clubs and activities throughout the school.

What do ya think?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-03-2009, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

What do you have to lose?
Old 01-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
If you were offered a bid during Formal Recruitment in Fall 2008, and did not accept it, you are not eligible for Recruitment until Fall 2009. That is a National Panhellenic Conference rule.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

From what it sounds like to me, it was a snap bid which she declined, which would make her still eligible. Am I wrong?
Old 01-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
No, Laura, you are right. Sorry - I missed the statement about it not being on her card.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

ya I only put one sorority on my card, that way I would not have to accept it in the off chance that that was the one I got (and wouldn't you know it was). So you think I'll still have a decent chance, even though I'm a sophomore?
Old 01-04-2009, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

It's hard for me to say what your chances are as I don't know your campus. But if you don't do it, you definitely won't join a group, and if you try, you have a chance. So why not go for it?
Old 01-04-2009, 04:44 PM

There are posters from WVU on here so be discreet in what you post (which you are so far ). Just be aware that not all of the sororities may have spots open and the ones that do, may include the one you have already turned down.

Are you friends with anybody in any of the sororities you are interested in?
Old 01-04-2009, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I have friends in a few different sororities but I wasnt sure if I should ask them to introduce me to more of their sisters so I can get to know them or what I should do. They all have so many girls and it was very difficult to meet more than a few at each house during formal recruitment.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
WVUGirl, I graduated from WVU in May 07 and still talk to several sisters from my chapter who are actives, so I like to think I'm still semi-informed on our Greek life. Don't worry too much about your sophomore status. As I'm sure you found out in the fall, plenty of sophomores go through rush and receive bids. COB in the spring is a little different because if you do get a bid, you'll likely only be around for 2 1/2 years instead of 3. Nevertheless, my chapter and many other chapters have still extended bids to sophomores in the spring. You have a great GPA and other extracurriculars which is definitely a plus! Think of it this way- in the fall, freshmen rushing are using their high school GPA. In the spring, freshmen use their college GPA. Many freshmen have a difficult first semester and their grades reflect it. You'll have a one-up on them in that aspect.

I saw go for it, several chapters at WVU are not at total and should be participating in spring COB. And definitely have your friends in sororities you're interested in introduce you to more girls in their house. Maybe you all can go out to dinner together so it's something casual, and don't dominate the conversation with talk about rush so you aren't coming on too strong.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have that you don't want to ask on the board.