GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,543
1 members and 1,542 guests
Cookiez17

Old 06-05-2010, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

i would like to know as well because sororities seem to have more members compared to fraternity at my school but that maybe due to the stigma associated with fraternity life. This is not a negative from my perspective the more sorority there are helps the greek system influence the whole school through activities and group involvement. PLUS!!
Old 06-05-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlbubbles View Post
I can't speak for the entire Greek system, but I know that at my alma mater, by the end of the next school year, there will be twice as many fraternities as there are sororities (18 and 9, respectively). Despite this, during last year's recruitment (there were only 14 fraternities at the time), the men only had about 500 potential recruits go through, whereas the sororities had about 900. Both of these were the campus' largest recruitment for either group of organizations. The sororities completed the process with around 1800 members total (including the new members, though not all 900) and the fraternities had about 1100 total (including new members, but not all 500).

I think a great deal of the disparity might first come from a lack of publicity, but that isn't necessarily the fault of our fraternities, per se. Secondly, though, I think a lot of it is because a gentleman is not required to attend all houses or go through some sort of party system; likewise, the fraternities do not guarantee a bid (following full completion of a preference card) or have any sort of quota system (the largest houses have around one hundred twenty members, while the smaller houses have somewhere between twenty and fifty members).

I am not necessarily sure which recruitment is easier--I think they both have their own specific hardships/peculiarities. It is definitely true that the sororities tend to have larger numbers of PNMs going through and larger numbers of them joining houses, but I do not know how a structured fraternity recruitment would compare. Are the numbers more comparable at universities that have a more structured fraternity recruitment?
Um, hello????

Your fraternities are unrecognized by the school. Anyone looking at your college's Greek life page would think that they don't even exist. It's a minor miracle that they still have and are still able to attract as many people as they do.

Sorry, but your school is a huge ginormous anomaly and you don't get to answer this question.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Um, hello????

Your fraternities are unrecognized by the school. Anyone looking at your college's Greek life page would think that they don't even exist. It's a minor miracle that they still have and are still able to attract as many people as they do.

Sorry, but your school is a huge ginormous anomaly and you don't get to answer this question.
Wow, yeah that would make a big difference.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Um, hello????

I am fully aware of that. I simply posed my opinion in regards to a lack of structured recruitment (like rush parties at all houses) which seems to be the case at many other universities and colleges. You will notice I did first cite a lack of publicity which is based on this lack of recognition--but I figured everyone knew about that situation by this point in time as it happened half a decade ago.

Despite their lack of recognition, I do think they are doing quite well for themselves and their numbers are largely similar to surrounding schools, whose fraternities, as a whole, are recognized by their respective universities. I also said I could not speak for the entire Greek system, as again, CU's is a special case.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I am fully aware of that. I simply posed my opinion in regards to a lack of structured recruitment (like rush parties at all houses) which seems to be the case at many other universities and colleges. You will notice I did first cite a lack of publicity which is based on this lack of recognition--but I figured everyone knew about that situation by this point in time as it happened half a decade ago.

Despite their lack of recognition, I do think they are doing quite well for themselves and their numbers are largely similar to surrounding schools, whose fraternities, as a whole, are recognized by their respective universities. I also said I could not speak for the entire Greek system, as again, CU's is a special case.
None of us can speak for the whole Greek system. But for those people who didn't read your location or who aren't aware of the CU situation (like people who've only been Greek for a year and were in HS when the fraternities were first derecognized), yeah, you should have maybe mentioned that teensy point.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I have edited my post accordingly, but I also do not think it is necessary to discuss the situation every time the fraternities are brought up, especially taking into consideration that all of that happened before I ever arrived at the university myself, and I was not trying to make another thread about CU's fraternities in particular, as there are already plenty of threads that solely discuss it.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have edited my post accordingly, but I also do not think it is necessary to discuss the situation every time the fraternities are brought up, especially taking into consideration that all of that happened before I ever arrived at the university myself, and I was not trying to make another thread about CU's fraternities in particular, as there are already plenty of threads that solely discuss it.
No but when we're discussing something systemically and you're a major exception to the rule due to nature of your school's Greek system, noting that is considered polite.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have edited my post accordingly, but I also do not think it is necessary to discuss the situation every time the fraternities are brought up,
It is a germane point to at least mention, because it does matter.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
***bangsheaddesk***

Then all you have to do is find one of those threads and link to it so people understand the situation at your school. It's not going to create a huge discussion, it's just a matter of people having all the facts before they reply which is something that's so irritating on here.

I mean, if someone came on here and said "the sororities are 20x larger than the fraternities" and didn't mention that they were a student at the Mississippi University for Women (which does have male students) the post wouldn't make much sense.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I have included a relevant article I prefer and I apologize for the previous omission. I was merely trying to keep the thread on topic and it seems that this has kept that from happening smoothly.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDer View Post
i would like to know as well because sororities seem to have more members compared to fraternity at my school but that maybe due to the stigma associated with fraternity life. This is not a negative from my perspective the more sorority there are helps the greek system influence the whole school through activities and group involvement. PLUS!!
I think its also important to remember that more women attend universities on average than men, so this also contributes to the difference.

Like I said, comparing fraternity and sorority recruitment is not as far as apples and oranges, but maybe lemons and limes. They're different.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

It's completely different at my school. Since about 20% of the student body consists of females, it's a breeze joining a sorority (or so it seems). I've noticed that, with the sororities, if you don't get a bid the first time, you can just keep trying and one of them will bid you eventually. Since there are so many guys, the fraternities can afford to be really selective and it's a bit more cut throat.

Not saying our sororities are just a heterogeneous blob of weirdness, though. There's still definitely certain types of girls who join the sororities and they're all great. Plus, with most of the sororities, you still have to get through pledging and that's another thread. :P