GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,607
4 members and 1,603 guests
*winter*, speedsters

Old 01-16-2015, 05:51 AM
rockyrocks

junior seeking recruitment help!!!

Thanks everyone for the responses.not sure how to delete posts. Go bears

Last edited by rockyrocks; 01-17-2015 at 02:47 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:08 AM
GreekChat Member

There are too many variables. At some schools you wouldn't have a chance. At others grades aren't the end of the world (although I think some sororities have a higher GPA threshold than that). All you can do is give it a shot and hope for the best while preparing for the worst.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
There are too many variables. At some schools you wouldn't have a chance. At others grades aren't the end of the world (although I think some sororities have a higher GPA threshold than that). All you can do is give it a shot and hope for the best while preparing for the worst.
2.9 GPA is not terrible, but it is not great either. If you are at that school with a really competitive recruitment, I would say that because of your illness you really need to work on your grades, a sorority just might not be in the cards for you.

IF you are at a school with a less competitive recruitment - it is still doable, but you need to talk to your friends in sororities, let them know you are coming, interested, excited, and let them know what happened with your transfer and your "off" semester. Ask about upperclass quota. They might be able to pull for you - they might not. Be prepared for heavy cuts - but they might be able to take a chance on you. Or you might just take the opportunity to meet people and wait for COB.

Last edited by HQWest; 01-16-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrocks View Post
Spring recruitmen is coming up and id like to know my chances
Here my back story. Im from texas. I went to an out of school state(Louisiana)my freshman year and finished it off with a 3.6.
My sophmore year i transferred back to a texas school,during that time i had surgery and had to try and adjust to this biggger school.i went through a spring rush open house and didnt get a bid(i didnt realize i had a 2.0 gpa)Then this summer i went through formal rush and was cut by the 3rd day. I later realized i needed a gpa of 2.5 to even be eligible for membership and i had a gpa of 2.2. yikes! Rough year.
Soo now i managed to raise my school gpa to a 2.6 and my overall is a 2.9. Still low but its still a B average!
And now my question is do you think i have a chance af getting a bid this spring rush coming up next week?
And if you read all this bless your kind soul!
Be nice please
Sorority? Fraternity? That makes a difference.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:35 PM
rockyrocks

Sorority recruitment
Thanks everyone so far
Old 01-16-2015, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrocks View Post
Sorority recruitment
Thanks everyone so far
What GPA do they use for sorority recruitment at your school? That can also determine your success during recruitment.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
2.9 GPA is not terrible, but it is not great either.
She has a 2.6 though. Correct me if I'm wrong on the universality of this, but in my experience, one's GPA from a prior university doesn't transfer.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRose1912 View Post
She has a 2.6 though. Correct me if I'm wrong on the universality of this, but in my experience, one's GPA from a prior university doesn't transfer.
In most cases, you are right about that. There are some major universities, however, that actually transfer the GPA. That's why I asked that. It's weird when you actually see it in action.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:25 PM

And she is at least a second-semester junior. In Texas. At a school she has described as "bigger."
Old 01-16-2015, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRose1912 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
In most cases, you are right about that. There are some major universities, however, that actually transfer the GPA. That's why I asked that. It's weird when you actually see it in action.

Correct. This is not a universal policy. I worked for a major university that calculated all grades transferred. That said, the OP mentioned that she *had* a 3.6 coming into the transfer; but, that her 2.0/2.2 hindered her recruitment prospects. So, either her school does not include transfer GPAs into the overall GPA or her school says that one must have a 2.5 campus GPA to participate. That's my guess.

True and Constant
Old 01-17-2015, 06:31 AM
GreekChat Member

"Go Bears" would seem to indicate Baylor.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Rocky, since you are at a "bigger" Texas university, have you checked with the GL office to see which houses are recruiting this Spring? Do you have recs to these houses? Are you good friends with sisters in the houses?

Last edited by pinksequins; 01-17-2015 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Baylor is done and dusted and does not have a DG chapter.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:43 AM
rockyrocks

Im only friends with girls in differemt chapters
Old 01-17-2015, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Have you checked with the GL office to see which chapters are recruiting? (Not all chapters will.). Do you have good friends in the chapters that will be recruitting? There may only be a few slots for any participating chapter, and good friends will be needed (particularly for a second semester junior) to help advocate for you. (I am guessing from your reply that you don't have recs.)

Last edited by pinksequins; 01-17-2015 at 11:02 AM.