GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,537
1 members and 1,536 guests
bjenzdarka5720

Old 11-12-2001, 03:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Who's at the bottom now?

Sometimes, in weaker moments, we crow when we see other
groups stumble.
We gloat when we note the bottom house is about to fold..
BUT...
when that chapter folds, who takes its place?
who becomes the weenies of the campus now?
and when that group fails, then who?
The only thing keeping some of us alive on campus at some
places is that job the non-Greek Director of Student Activities
is threatened if we go off campus....
And our anti-Greek students revel in the failure of
another chapter. We should be bringing on new groups
NOW...to increase our clout, not belittling the less fortunate.
We Greeks have different histories, albeit all with glory.
Think about it. If I'd gone somewhere else I might have
been an SAE or a Pike or a Sig instead of a Teke...they
are all good outfits with good intentions. Each time a
chapter folds, a part of you dies, too. Give that some thought.
Do not let this happen. Save a little time to hug each other,
and remember, what GDI ever comes back to his alma mater
and proudly points...this was MY dorm....Plan a party with another house, share ideas...the IFC originally was to HELP
the dues-paying chapters, not penalize them (the fewer the
rules the better and deferred rush is anathema to brotherhood)
Everybody is watching us...Wear your clean underwear. From
an old (TKE) alum who loved it all....Now go do even better!
Old 11-12-2001, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

I wish you would repost this in the Greek Life forum so that everyone would see it! I know of a Greek system where a couple of groups couldn't be bothered by several GLOs folding and suddenly they have realized that when the "weenie" chapter folds, as it's almost certain to within the year, they are in line to be the next ones--whereas, several years back, they were firmly implanted in the middle.
Old 11-12-2001, 09:30 PM

Erik, you are 100% right. We all need to hang together or we will all hang separately!!

Mods, could you move this to the Greek Life forum so everyone is sure to see it?
Old 11-12-2001, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

You guys are right, it seems like others gloat in your pain. When I brought my sorority to my campus NPC and NPHC gave me a really hard time. They were like, "Why does our school need another Greek organization, what is wrong with the ones we have." Some of the current Greeks were like, well now XYZ is not on the bottom anymore. I was really upset, but oh well. I think it takes a lot of time, commitment, and dedication to build up a new chapter on your own. People who have just been able to Rush and pledge XYZ organization don't seem to understand that.
Old 11-17-2001, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

This is great! It could also be directed at other types of organizations, even such as the American Bar Association, American Medical Association, etc.

After all, if so-n-so was in the top 5% percentile, somebody had to be in the bottom 5%.
Old 11-22-2001, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

This was in my forum and moved it over here at the request of posters
enjoy
Old 11-22-2001, 07:20 AM
GreekChat Member

This is so timely. My daughter was talking about this very subject last night. She used an example of an article in the Reville. They interviewed a sorority that placed in the Homecoming competition. Rather than extol the system they chose the low road and were quoted as how theirs was "the best" and similar statements throughout the article. So rather than cover the Greek events and the participants, it basically became an interview for one group. There is nothing wrong in the world with pumping up your org. However, she felt every opportunity to shed a positive light on the system should be the objective.

Like they say, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
Old 11-22-2001, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I know exactly where Erik comes from! While his Fraternity is closed at mey Alma Mater, I felt a very big loss when they left. I had many Great Friends in the TEKE house as they backed me on getting on campus when 2 houses were trying to come on and only one would be alllowed!

Everytime i hear of a Chapter closing on a campus, I cringe and have a tear in my eyes!

Talk about minoritys, we in the Greek World are one of the biggest!
I have always been and have told many young men going to college, If you dont go LXA, then please go Greek!

We all in the Greek World HATE to see some of the things that are happening today and Remember, We are the Ones Who Can Change It!

Bless ALL Of My Greek Brothers and Sisters during this Holiday Season and on past that period of time!

Yours Interfraternally with Peace And Love,

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-10-2001, 07:00 PM

Exclamation

BUMP.

It's definitely time to bump this one back up to the top.
Old 12-10-2001, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

*applaud*

I can not agree more.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

I completely agree!!!

One thing I've noticed on my own campus though that I think should be addressed is relationships between fraternities and sororities. For example... at one time on my campus ABC fraternity and XYZ sorority were practically inseparable (primarily because half of one chapter was dating half of the other). At some point along the way, ABC dwindled in size a bit due from what I understand to circumstances largely outside of their control. Instead of helping ABC pick its numbers back up and supporting them as they had been in the past, XYZ sorority instead decided to abandon ABC fraternity to hang out with DEF and GHI fraternities instead. As if that were bad enough, XYZ sorority has been heard to speak less than favorably about ABC which makes life that much more difficult for ABC in terms of them bringing up their numbers. Their chapter still has some good guys in it; I'm friends with a lot of them. They're just small right now is all, but they actually are more gentlemanly than most others on campus. I really feel sorry for those guys, but what can you do? Most members of most of the sororities on my campus are VERY materialistic -- whichever fraternity has the largest roster and largest budget is their favorite regardless of the quality or character of the individuals in the fraternity in question. Which fraternity they consider "worthy" of their attention could change each year if not each term. Anyone else see this happen?
Old 12-10-2001, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SAEactive
I completely agree!!!

One thing I've noticed on my own campus though that I think should be addressed is relationships between fraternities and sororities. For example... at one time on my campus ABC fraternity and XYZ sorority were practically inseparable (primarily because half of one chapter was dating half of the other). At some point along the way, ABC dwindled in size a bit due from what I understand to circumstances largely outside of their control. Instead of helping ABC pick its numbers back up and supporting them as they had been in the past, XYZ sorority instead decided to abandon ABC fraternity to hang out with DEF and GHI fraternities instead. As if that were bad enough, XYZ sorority has been heard to speak less than favorably about ABC which makes life that much more difficult for ABC in terms of them bringing up their numbers. Their chapter still has some good guys in it; I'm friends with a lot of them. They're just small right now is all, but they actually are more gentlemanly than most others on campus. I really feel sorry for those guys, but what can you do? Most members of most of the sororities on my campus are VERY materialistic -- whichever fraternity has the largest roster and largest budget is their favorite regardless of the quality or character of the individuals in the fraternity in question. Which fraternity they consider "worthy" of their attention could change each year if not each term. Anyone else see this happen?
Old 12-10-2001, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

a real dilemma

Quote:
Originally posted by Erik P Conard
One of the reasons sororities are disliked so much in many circles is precisely what our Phi Alpha friend from SAE has portrayed--that ABC sorority dumped the once close alliance
with DEF fraternity when they dwindled in numbers. It is sheer
opportunism and it is yet encouraged by their alumnae, too.
I have never in my forty plus years seen a sorority go to the aid
of a once-proud but tripped fraternity. We simply must live with
this, and the females will be pissed at me for writing this, but
it is true on many campuses.
SAE...a top-flight outfit, and if sororities had been aware of it,
Noble Leslie DeVotie should have never been allowed to step
off that gangplank. But Miss Lucy did help with the minutes of
it all. We all need the sororities, so let us try to make the best
of it. I'll the Tekes to help anyone who stumbles, as when one
folds their tent, like I said 'Who's on the bottom now?"
Ladies, I speak not with forked tongue, either....We need you, and welcome your help, if you will, please...
Old 12-10-2001, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I would just like to say it happens both ways. My biological sister's chapter use to hang out a lot with a fraternity that was weaker. They were great guys and total gentlemen and that's why the girls hung out there. A lot of the girls helped with rush and gave their opinion about different guys they were thinking about signing. They hung out at the summer rush parties (the boys here don't have formal rush) did homecoming with them the first year this fraternity decided to do it. This sorority has won homecoming (a huge deal on our campus-it's the biggest in the nation) twice in a row so they had plenty of other choices.

This fraternity is now one of the largest on campus and they haven't done a thing with my sister's chapter in 2 years. You would think these guys would return the favor by encouraging their girl friends and sisters to take a serious look at ABC during rush. Instead, they have their heads so far up the a$$es of an elite sorority that they don't even recognize anyone that isn't in that house.

So I don't really want to hear that girls are like that. Guys are just as bad.
Old 12-11-2001, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

moving on....

Quote:
Originally posted by greek girlie
I would just like to say it happens both ways. My biological sister's chapter use to hang out a lot with a fraternity that was weaker. They were great guys and total gentlemen and that's why the girls hung out there. A lot of the girls helped with rush and gave their opinion about different guys they were thinking about signing. They hung out at the summer rush parties (the boys here don't have formal rush) did homecoming with them the first year this fraternity decided to do it. This sorority has won homecoming (a huge deal on our campus-it's the biggest in the nation) twice in a row so they had plenty of other choices.

This fraternity is now one of the largest on campus and they haven't done a thing with my sister's chapter in 2 years. You would think these guys would return the favor by encouraging their girl friends and sisters to take a serious look at ABC during rush. Instead, they have their heads so far up the a$$es of an elite sorority that they don't even recognize anyone that isn't in that house.

So I don't really want to hear that girls are like that. Guys are just as bad.