GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,416
2 members and 1,414 guests
Xidelt, znathanhulzeo24

Old 06-24-2007, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
I met up with the sister of Sunkist the next day, and wound up being introduce to a sister who just went alum at the start of the semester.

Conversation was good and she invited me out with a bunch of them that Saturday night, and I went. It wound up being myself, another PNM, her, and the president of Cream at that point. I had a great time, and went home tired, but happy.

I got a call the next morning asking me if I wanted to accept a bid to Sunkist, and if I did, I was asked to go down to school and meet them at the library. Now, I had to figure out if I wanted to say yes, or wanted to wait and possibly meet the sisters of Dr. Pepper. What to do?

Patriae Multae Spes Una

Last edited by Buttonz; 09-08-2007 at 02:06 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-24-2007, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

oh man suspense!!! hmm i wonder what you did buttonz??
Old 06-25-2007, 08:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
I'm going to keep rooting for Dr. Pepper!!

GO DR. PEPPER!! GO DR. PEPPER!!

Although, I will admit that does put you in a bind. Don't some GLOs allow girls to defer their bids and officially accept it at a later time?? I've heard of that happening before.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
After thinking about it, I decided that I would accept a bid from Sunkist, which is of course Sigma Delta Tau. Looking back on it, I am very glad I didn't wait because I wouldn't have fit in at Dr. Pepper at all.

In terms of who is who, I'll say that Dr. Pepper and Coke are the other two NPC's and the other three were local.

Funny note: Fall 2006 we had a girl come through FR and receive a bid to us who dropped Sprite the semester after I did for the same reason.

Patriae Multae Spes Una

Last edited by Buttonz; 09-08-2007 at 02:06 AM.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay Cream and SDT! Thanks for posting your story, Buttonz.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
Yay Cream and SDT! Thanks for posting your story, Buttonz.
Glad you liked! I know it's different then most of them out there...but different could be good, right?

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 06-29-2007, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Mine was probably one of the more boring ones. It's good to see all different types of recruitment. Plus, the more stories we have, the more threads PNMs have to look at a school with similar recruitment styles.

Great story Buttonz!
Old 06-29-2007, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Buttonz - different is very good!

Jess - Yours wasn't boring at all. And I agree that these threads aren't just entertaining, PNMs could really get something out of reading them.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessSigKap View Post
Mine was probably one of the more boring ones. It's good to see all different types of recruitment. Plus, the more stories we have, the more threads PNMs have to look at a school with similar recruitment styles.

Great story Buttonz!
Yours was not boring at all...just that SDT was cut so fast, lol!

Thank you

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 07-13-2007, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Crongrats!

So happy you found you home. Sorry you had to go through that awful local but hope you have some friends from there. Neat ending and so happy you love it. Wish you could get your sister to go through recruitment and be double sisters the would be chill. So glad you were brave enough to go through it again after that awful experience, I don't know if I could. Snaps to you! LOL
Old 07-13-2007, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to suggest you take a nap... maybe this way you can return to the message board well rested and less like a squirrel riding out a caffeine rush.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Paula M

This is long, but it will be worth it when you get to the last line...I promise. Since most campuses are either finished with or are in the process of recruitment, I thought everyone could use a good laugh, although this wasn't very funny for the PNM involved.

This happened back in the late '60's when I was asked at the last minute, as a new alumna, to fill in on bid matching day for our SDT National VP who was ill. There were 7 sororities at my alma mater and hundreds of PNMs going through rush as we called it back then, so the process was complicated and I was a little nervous since this was my first time participating in bid matching.

When I entered the conference room where the bid matching was to occur, the first thing I noticed was how innapropriately dressed I was in my nice pantsuit (a new concept back then). Except for the alum from ZTA, who was about my age, all of the ladies were at least 20-30 years older than I and all wore hats and gloves and face powder and Shalimar perfume (like my mother) or something similar.

The ZTA alum glanced at me and winked. Thank goodness, I thought...an ally. I should mention that I was the only Jew there. I vowed to be the best possible alum in the room that day and make sure all the ladies left with a great impression of both myself and my sorority.

I sort of slunk into a seat and paid rapt attention as the Dean of Women explained how the process would work. Each of us would be given the bid sheets for a sorority other than her own so there would be not a whiff of collusion involved in the selection process. I believe I was given AXO's bid list and it was huge.

The Dean would read the PNM's name and first preference and if she were on the "A" list of her first choice, we were to say, "Bid" and mark the sheet. If she did not receive a bid from her first choice, the Dean would read the names of her second, then her third choice and eventually there would be a match. We were very diligent and we went through hundreds of names before we came to the one I never have forgotten to this day...I swear I am not making this up. I will change her first name to protect her just in case she ever reads this thread (heaven forbid), but the last name is the correct one.

The Dean announced in her fine British tea accent, "Barbara Shmuck." Why, why, why, with a Jew in the room, did this have to happen? I wasn't too concerned about the other fine ladies in the room but I knew if I so much as glanced at the Zeta babe across from me, I would lose it and completely embarrass myself and my sorority for life. I made a point of checking all the pages of my list thoroughly so I wouldn't be tempted to look across the table. It then occurred to me that there was total silence in the room. The Dean once again repeated the name, much to my consternation and again, total silence reigned. Apparently Barbara Shmuck, bless her heart, had not received a bid from any of the sororities including mine (I had already graduated and didn't know too many of our sisters but I can only imagine how difficult it was for them to meet Ms. Shmuck and try to keep a straight face). But this was not the part where I had a figurative heart attack...it was what happened next that did it for me.

After the third calling of Barbara’s name with no response, the Dean's secretary, a dear, sweet, little woman with gray hair let out a deep sigh and said in a perfectly sympathetic voice, "Poor Shmuck."

I died at that moment or at least wished I could have. I don't know how I made it through the remainder of the day but somehow I called upon everyone who was dear to me to lend me support so I wouldn't run screaming with laughter from the room. Again, I had to avoid looking up at the Zeta lady but I could tell she was in as much agony as I was. Finally, the Dean called for a break and Ms. Zeta and I ran from the building together, waiting until we were outside before we both collapsed upon one another. Luckily we didn't wet ourselves but we were close. At that moment, she was my dearest friend, someone to share a signal moment in my life...the funniest thing I ever heard in all my years.

There's more. The following day, after all the bids were matched and placed in envelopes, all seven of us sat at a table in the gym and all of the PNM's (or rushees as we called them) filed in to pick up their envelopes. Well, as the story of my life goes, I was sitting behind the sign that said P-S, so naturally a young lady in line finally reaches me and proudly says, "Barbara Shmuck." OMG...why me? This was before the days when the PNM's who didn't receive bids were called in advance. I handed her the envelope and watched while she opened it. Poor Shmuck was right. Her face crumpled and she looked at me through her tears, not knowing which sorority I represented and said, "Not even the Jewish girls wanted me!" Although this was kind of a slam (the Jewish girls being so low on the totem pole), I couldn't help feeling her pain. Through the lump in my throat, I encouraged her to get involved in campus activities, meet new people and rush again in the spring. I heard from our National VP, with whom I shared this incident, cursing her for calling me to sub for her (she died laughing by the way) that Barbara Shmuck did indeed receive a bid during Spring rush and was happily ensconsed in one of the big three and very thrilled about it.

Of all that has happened to me since that day, this has stayed with me. I consider it more than just a humorous story...it was one of redemption (mine and my ZTA pal) and the power of positive thinking. I am glad to share this with you.

Paula M.
Sigma Delta Tau
ΣΔT
Patriae Multi Spes Una
One Hope of Many People

Last edited by paulam; 09-26-2007 at 10:38 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 09-01-2007, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Paula M

Caryn,

I PM'd you earlier.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Paulam, that was a heck of a story! I'm sorry the poor girl had to go through that...but glad you were there to comfort her and that everything turned out all right for her. Let's hope she got to change her last name, too!

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 09-02-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I loved your story, Paula! It was both sad and hysterically funny. I'm glad you had your ZTA pal there with you; I know I wouldn't have been able to keep a straight face.

I glad things worked out for the poor Shmuck in the end!

Thanks for sharing!