GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,814
1 members and 2,813 guests
No Members online

Old 07-14-2002, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Are you a cheerleader?

Heres my question- how many of you were cheerleaders in high school? Then are you a cheerleader in college too?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-14-2002, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
I was a cheerleader in high school. I did not try out for cheer in college-- I was kinda burnt out on it and wanted to try new things, so I ended up rushing and being a part of the ISVT (inter-sorority (beach) volleyball tournament) team for my house.
Old 07-14-2002, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: hot, humid houston . . .how's that for alliteration?
one of my sisters is a penn state cheerleader. she'd never cheered before in her life and she made the squad. she had done gymnastics before though.

One Heart One Way. . .
Old 07-14-2002, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey there
I was a cheerleader in high school and college. I cheered my first three years on our national squad. Its a whole new world in college compared to high school, a lot more work If you have any questions send me a message.
Oh and in college we cheered for football, mens and womens basketball, and nationals in daytona.
Old 07-14-2002, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

oh yes
and I also wanted to mention that you had to at least have a roundoff backhandspring to make my team, most people were at least around a level 5 or 6 gymnast, I was level 10 before college. Needless to say I mostly tumbled, but would have liked to stunt a little more Also, in college you have to workout a lot more to keep your tone.
Old 07-14-2002, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

x

Last edited by VT Tri-D; 05-25-2004 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2002, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Tallahassee, Florida, USA and Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Send a message via AIM to Sisterplum
I was a cheerleader in high school and cheered for my 2 years at university in Canada.

I'm not cheering here in Florida at school though...I wanted to concentrate 100 % on my grades......since having too much extra-curricular activities is the reason I got academic suspension from my school in Canada!
Old 07-14-2002, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nyrdrms
cheerleaders

Although some of my sisters were cheerleaders in high school, and a few in college as well, I was never one. A lot of my sisters weren't. I know that it is a stereotype that in order to be a "sorority girl" you have to fit the "sorority image." But the key word there is that it's a stereotype. Don't let TV's model of perfection cloud your image of what perfection truly is....it comes from within.
Old 07-14-2002, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ThielGirlie
Re: cheerleaders

Quote:
Originally posted by nyrdrms
I know that it is a stereotype that in order to be a "sorority girl" you have to fit the "sorority image." But the key word there is that it's a stereotype. Don't let TV's model of perfection cloud your image of what perfection truly is....it comes from within.

Well said!
Old 07-14-2002, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I used to have a triple full back in my gym days Oh the memories(((((
But, I will say it's hard adjusting, well it was for me, from a gymnastucs floor to a cheer floor with no springs and sneakers on. I used to get disorineted in my twists, and even standing backs took a little getting used to. But that is me and I was a gymnast all my life, I mean I only started cheering in high school.
I go to school up North BTW, and I know the guys down south have much more experience than our guys up here. It is all new to them in college. But I love stunt fest with those southern boys and their double awesomes
Old 07-14-2002, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

x

Last edited by VT Tri-D; 05-25-2004 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2002, 11:09 PM

Wow, this is all so amazing for me to read. In my high school, if the cheerleaders jumped with both feet off the floor it was a huge athletic event.
Old 07-14-2002, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaTarzan
not only was I a cheerleader for 14 years of my life, i also was the captain of varsity my senior year and a National Cheerleading Association All American. i also did gymnastics cheerleading was my LIFE. i will be coaching soon, as well.
Old 07-14-2002, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Wow, this is all so amazing for me to read. In my high school, if the cheerleaders jumped with both feet off the floor it was a huge athletic event.

That's really funny! Our high school was kinda like that way back when I was there.

Our middle daughter was a Freshman and then JV Cheerleader her freshman year in high school -- but was still growing. She looked decidedly out of place at 6'/130 lbs -- so she joined the volleyball team as a sophomore. The rest of the team were all 5'2" super gymnasts.

Their recent teams have consistantly placed highly in the UCA competition at Disney World. I think they were number 8 this last year, but am not sure about that.

Cheering really has become an athletic event, not just a vehicle for popularity. These kids work hard all the time.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 07-14-2002, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaTarzan
and by the way- IT IS A SPORT! i broke my arm stunting. we tumble, we do jumps, we stunt. i dare ANY football player to ATTEMPT what we do.