GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,497
5 members and 2,492 guests
Cookiez17, oncegreek

Old 07-24-2002, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

That's very true - - - meaning there is a connection.

Quote:
Originally posted by #2 Cool Breeze

Re-read the first couple chapters of the history book......
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-26-2002, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

lets not get into details

Last edited by Professor; 07-31-2002 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-27-2002, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation There is a connection...

But I think that connection doesn't connotate an impetus of Alpha being in Masonry. Not anymore than any other frat. I'm sure that things like passwords, hailing signals, and grips probably had their origins in Masonry, but every frat has these things, including the white ones. (this message has been edited by Professor)

Last edited by Professor; 07-31-2002 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Obviously there are things that I can not go into in this chat room..however, I would very much like to continue this discussion possibly via private email because there are some things that you may be overlooking that I would like to point out concerning this matter....what do ya say?...holla at me!!
Old 01-30-2008, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwatch View Post
But I think that connection doesn't connotate an impetus of Alpha being in Masonry. Not anymore than any other frat. I'm sure that things like passwords, hailing signals, and grips probably had their origins in Masonry, but every frat has these things, including the white ones. (this message has been edited by Professor)
TRUTH
Old 01-30-2008, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroFreemason View Post
TRUTH
wow, you dredged up a six year old thread just to say that?
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 01-30-2008, 07:30 AM
GreekChat Member

An overall lame thread at that.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

lame - lol

i did not think the thread was lame - i learned a great deal. let the man add to the thread - as long as he speaks in general terms - or he can send me pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
An overall lame thread at that.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

My uncle became a member of the Boule last year. He's not an Alpha, but an Omega. I forgot this thread existed. I would have posted about it last year.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:21 AM
GreekChat Member

thanks for the love
Old 01-31-2008, 06:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
i did not think the thread was lame - i learned a great deal. let the man add to the thread - as long as he speaks in general terms - or he can send me pm.
I don't think the thread was lame either--it was very informative. But what did he add other than the word truth? Are you now a member of the Boule?

Interesting enough, if i didn't personally know some members of Omicron Boule (and trust they are not generally prominent) I would not know they existed. And while I understand that the org does not promote it's civic activities, for there to be no inkling at all here in the Twins is very telling, because our Black population it so relatively small.

What to me is sadder is that I had to find out about Raymond Cannon, and Hubert Humphrey being an honorary member from the book Divine Nine and greek message boards, because the alumni Alphas here became invisible years ago, except for an annual ball. What a information there is is on the Mu Chapter (collegiate) website.

It is the AKAs, Kappas, and Deltas that keep the NPHC alive in the Twins.

Last edited by ladygreek; 01-31-2008 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I think we can all improve our oganizations. As for Alpha, when Brothers decide who they will support for our national president I hope that they will consider the vision of the candidate regarding reclamation. I want a president that inspires me to do more for Alpha. In fact, I think we need to go back to some old ideals that held true.

I hate to hear that Alpha is not a leader in any community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
I don't think the thread was lame either--it was very informative. But what did he add other than the word truth? Are you now a member of the Boule?

Interesting enough, if i didn't personally know some members of Omicron Boule (and trust they are not generally prominent) I would not know they existed. And while I understand that the org does not promote it's civic activities, for there to be no inkling at all here in the Twins is very telling, because our Black population it so relatively small.

What to me is sadder is that I had to find out about Raymond Cannon, and Hubert Humphrey being an honorary member from the book Divine Nine and greek message boards, because the alumni Alphas here became invisible years ago, except for an annual ball. What a information there is is on the Mu Chapter (collegiate) website.

It is the AKAs, Kappas, and Deltas that keep the NPHC alive in the Twins.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 06pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwatch View Post
Personnally, I do not see the big deal concerning the Boule'. It seems to me to be a situation where people want to join because it signifies some kind of status in the black community. Many may argue that it is the same way with the "Pan" orgs, but one thing that seperates the Boule' is that membership is truely an elitist priviledge, only by invitation with no smokers, interest meetings, or any opportunity for the public at large to join. This seems to heighten the interest in the group. You cannot possibly know the workings of the Boule' without having an interest in it, because they do no publicize their workings or philanthropies. Any claims to be a community serviced based org. are discredited when the membership is only extended to certain "types" of people (or people who have reached a certain "level of success" in a "professional" field, in other words, rich!!!). This is the elitism that has plagued the "pan" for years but was only speculative at best, while this elitism is verifiable through the Boule'. I am not one to say that any group cannot discriminate in its membership, but when you base membershhip on the criterion of financial success, I often wonder what real purpose can you serve the black community. How much of the black community can afford to be members? Your career success and financial standing are no commentary on nor indication of your moral character, if indeed moral character is something that they consider when extending membership. I read several posts on the message board of the Boule' website, and one post seemed to sum up the whole Boule' ideal when a man, who I guess was trying to become a member, states in a closing remark "...continue to aspire to the high ideals of success, prosperity, and blessings." High ideals of success, prosperity and blessings? Where are the manly deeds, self sacrifice, service, righteousness, brotherly love, and all other altruistic themes that characterize fraternity? It seems to me that the boule' is a bunch of financially succesful men who relish in the power that they have to discriminate on that basis, and to have people panting after inclusion into this group. The black community does not need a "country club" mentality from the "talented tenth" of the black community. The Boule' to me is nothing more than a glorified status symbol, devoid of much true worth to the black community.

And I will probably start another thread concerning Brothers of Alpha Phi Alpha wanting to be in this group. WHY?????!!!!!!
Blackwatch!!!
Just because you are in a so called "elitest" organization does not mean you cannot serve your community. In fact, you can probably serve it better with finances. Just because they "select" their membership and do not publisize their works is not a bad thing. The problem with most people today is they want recognition for what they do instead of just doing as good deed and moving on to the next one. They "need" to recognized and patted on the back for some reason.

I have no problem with the Boule. Its their thing so let them have it. Years ago, The Pan Greeks were more selective than they are today and in my personal opinion, the fact that we are not selective anymore is pat of the reason we get the wrong people in our iorganizations and they do stupid things that give our organization bad names.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06pilot View Post
Years ago, The Pan Greeks were more selective than they are today and in my personal opinion, the fact that we are not selective anymore is pat of the reason we get the wrong people in our iorganizations and they do stupid things that give our organization bad names.
How far back do you mean? Members have been doing stupid stuff (hazing) for over 40 years now to my recollection.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 06pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
How far back do you mean? Members have been doing stupid stuff (hazing) for over 40 years now to my recollection.
I'm not talking about hazing. I'm talking rape, assault, and other felonies. I'm talkig about greek on greek drive by shootings.