GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,554
1 members and 2,553 guests
No Members online

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-07-2013, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Just to put this out there...and I have no personal experience, but I did work a bit with a group that had been a local for about 20 years or so and became a Delta Gamma chapter.
Everything about the local was put away, except as history. Yes, the history of the chapter began with the history of the local, its names and traditions. But none of its traditions was carried over to the chapter, and nothing from their ritual migrated to the new chapter.
There was a bit of conflict about that during the early years, but as the former-local members graduated, the conflict died down.
The local's alumnae were welcomed as chapter alumnae, provided they participated in initiation. I believe most who were interested were initiated with the active members at installation, but some who could not make it were initiated later, and invitations to the local's alumnae to be initiated continued for a few years.
One of the biggest bones of contention were certain fairly harmless new member traditions that were considered hazing by NPC (or DG - not sure which) and absolutely forbidden. Again, as the "elder" members graduated or moved away, that was no longer an issue.
There was no problem as to the types of members sought, nor the principles followed, as these were almost identical.

If you do get to the point where Panhellenic is interviewing NPC groups, you should be able to ask these questions of the NPC representatives.

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 10-07-2013 at 12:01 PM.