GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,077
0 members and 1,077 guests
No Members online

Old 10-13-2005, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WesternAlumn
Thanks for all your feedback. I believe I understand the concept now - that an AI has all the benefits of an alum and should not act like an active member of the collegiate chapter and attend social events, parties, formals, etc. unless all alum are invited by the collegiate chapter.
Exactly
Old 10-14-2005, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Just wondering here. Why would a grown woman want to party w/the younger crowd of the chapter she's initiated into? I figure that any AI would be over the age of 23/24 so would a person like this be doing it for the partying?
Old 10-14-2005, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Girl, don't ask that question. I asked that in another thread and it just exploded.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:10 AM
GreekChat Member

O.K. Sorry. Let's just forget I asked that.

BTW, I laughed so hard when I read your location. That is funny!
May You Be Touched By His Noodly Appendage
Old 10-15-2005, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

AIs are of all ages, they are not all dried up grapes who become raisens.

Just work within the rehlm of what Chapter allows!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-17-2005, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Male Alumni will come back to mixers, exchanges, formals etc for many years post graduation . . and unless they are idiots they are generally welcome.

Do girls just stop enjoying having fun quicker than boys? Or do the girls of the active chapters actually ostrasize their alumnae base so quickly?

If thats true I cans ee why a lot of chapters might lose their alumnae support and only have the hard nosed ones come back.

Quote:
Originally posted by BetteDavisEyes
Just wondering here. Why would a grown woman want to party w/the younger crowd of the chapter she's initiated into? I figure that any AI would be over the age of 23/24 so would a person like this be doing it for the partying?
Old 10-17-2005, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
No, it's because girls mature faster than boys and come to the realization that "it's not all about them" and "college is over -- it's time to grow the hell up" much earlier than men do.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sistermadly
No, it's because girls mature faster than boys and come to the realization that "it's not all about them" and "college is over -- it's time to grow the hell up" much earlier than men do.
I don't know about that. Myself and several other alums returned for mixers, formals etc and there wasn't a problem. I guess we were slow to grow up, or maybe we just liked being with our sisters and didn't get hung up on age. We had active women the same age as alums, so it really wasn't an issue.

Then again, if you are at the sort of school where you have to pledge your first semester and the majority of women drop out by senior year, I can understand it.

But this is why we don't like people to say "there's always AI" when a collegian doesn't succeed in rush. That person went through rush looking for the collegiate experience, not the alum experience. If you AI you need to know you're not going to be going to mixers, meetings or things like that on a regular basis. The sisters welcomed us alums back because they knew us and we kept in touch with them. If you AI and expect to have that kind of instant bond just because you have the letters on your chest, you're sorely mistaken. That's what the situation Western Alum described sounded like.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by Sistermadly
I understand everyone else's points, but I tend to agree with Sistermadly, and here's why...one of my friends who was already out of college was still dating her boyfriend last year, who had a couple more years left of undergrad. Whenever his fraternity would have mixers with our sorority she'd invite me to come along, so I went to a few of them and let me tell you, did I ever feel out of place! Most of those kids were in the 19-21 year-old-range, and I was 24. It really hit me when I was standing in line for the bathroom and the girl behind me was like, "Hey, I don't know you!" I replied that I was an alum and she asked how old I was. Do you know what she said when I told her! "Wow, you're old--I'm 19!" That was when I knew that I did not belong there. Not that I was having that great of a time anyway hanging out with the kiddies who were too young to get into the bars.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

One of our chapters is in a remote area with absolutely zero alumnae in the area to support. If not for their fabulous chapter adviser, who is an AI, these wonderful women would lack the onsite support that other chapters take for granted.

AI most definitely belong in every facet of our organizations! You are our sisters! We need your help to continue our legacy of sisterhood and leadership-- and we rely on you more than ever to mentor our younger sisters as they come up through the sorority systems. AI are living proof that membership is for a lifetime!
Old 10-17-2005, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to agree with james on a lot of points. Maybe Guys are different besides plumbing, the love of any organization is still there.

When I go back, while it is not often because of time and distance restraints, if not for Alums, the Chapter would not be building a new house and trying to rebuild. If not for My help in working with IHQ, We should have been closed.

I am not saying hang around the Chapter and attend all of the partys, but be a part for aiding them in functions when needed.

I am also not saying being shunted into the kitchen for only serving dutys and busying the trash.

You may be an Undergaduate now, but one day You may be come an Alum. Do You want to be the maid for them as an Alum? You were an Active and are still interested in Your Sorority or You would not want to be there.

Who do You go to if there is a Major problem? Advisor who may be a do nothing or an Alum that You feel close with?

There are to many Alums who dont give a damn once they Graduate, so why treat one who is interested like an Old Shoe to be thown away?

If I was treated like some of You are talking, I would just tell you to screw off and when You needed My Help I would say more than that!

Remember, I am a Member of LXA for Life, not just 4-5 years, how about You?

LX Z # 1
Alumni