GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24

Old 12-31-1999, 05:29 PM
Inquiring1

Post Requirements?

I'm a 30 year old professional working for Texas Instruments but not have attended college. I'm wandering is being a college graduate or attendee an absolute and only way of becoming a greek. One guy a few years ago while I was in the Marine Corps who is a Q, which I am interested in becoming, said it differs from chapter to chapter as far as graduate chapters are concerned. He said that some greeks realize that everyone does not go to college and that some look at your background and that your not a criminal or something like that and what you can offer the organization. Right now I'm attending DeVry Technical Institute, which doesn't have traditional fraternities or sororities. I would appreciate it if could enlighten me on what requirements I need to meet to become a frat. If you don't mind, please send responses to fhughes485@netscape.net. Thanks
Old 01-05-2000, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

For the benefit of others who may have this same question. I believe you still must be enrolled at a credible two or four year college in order to join a fraternity like Omega Psi Phi. They may have an affiliate organization of men who share similar goals who are not college educated, some of the sororities have junior groups, sisterfriends, etc. Maybe you can look into starting a group like that in your area if the fraternity is in agreement with you. We have very high standards that date back to 1906 and only the most impressive, hardworking and dedicated college trained men and women are choosen, making it a priviledged society not simply a volunteer organization. We go to college to graduate and for the chosen few greek life is an aspect of this. We do not go to college to go greek, therefore it would go against the reason for our foundings if we allowed non college educated individuals to join since we came about out of the need to help the first black college students who worked VERY HARD to get into college in a racist society. These organizations helped those pioneering black college students prosper, bond and grow in a educational institution that did not treasure them or their abilities as men and women. It was a college thing, it was hard back then and it is hard now, but anything worth having is worth fighting for.
May the tradition live on and the Workers keep on working.

[This message has been edited by pink bunny (edited January 05, 2000).]
Old 01-06-2000, 10:49 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

That's right my friend. You are subject to the elitist policies of the Greeks. You must attend a four year school, or be a graduate of one. Check out my website. http://members.xoom.com/hatchettfl

------------------
Old 01-07-2000, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Susprise Susprise Susprise its Mr. Fred H. Anti-Greek himself. If you are a christian then why are you so bitter towards greeks. Jesus showed love to even his enemies. I don't feel no love from you Fred.
Old 01-07-2000, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Pink Bunny, you are correct in some ways. But those mostly are on the collegiate level. Inquiring1, the procedures do however, vary from organization to organization. In most sororities and fraternities, for the collegiates that are interested, they must be enrolled in a university. Most Alumnae/graduate memberships require that the person hold a degree from a college/university or professional school. Maybe your attending DeVry Technical Institute would be considered a professional school. Then most alumnae/graduate affiliation is through invitation only. So, I guess in the end, my best advice to you would be to contact your local chapter of and send them a letter of interest and then they would send to you a letter if and when they are going to be having intake. I hope this helps.

Finding a chapter near you: Chapter Locations